Herring Fishery

Predators are thinning out west coast herring, says research​

Port Alberni, BC

The consumption of herring by marine mammals and fish off the west coast of Vancouver Island is giving the species little chance to rebuild to a higher volume, according to indicators recently presented by a Nuu-chah-nulth-led research project.
The amount being consumed by predators – particularly hake, humpback whales and stellar sea lions – is coming close to what the herring population in Nuu-chah-nulth territory is able to support, said Jim Lane, acting manager of the Uu-a-thluk fisheries program, during a Nuu-chah-nulth Council of Haa’wiih Forum on Fisheries on Feb. 24.
“Predator consumption is almost approaching the total biomass production of WCVI herring,” he said.......

Are the final Fishery numbers in yet?

"Teams of divers in the core spawning area from Nanoose to Comox are counting eggs and using equations to estimate the size of the spawn. Estimates will be available around the end of June."

"Teams of divers in the core spawning area from Nanoose to Comox are counting eggs and using equations to estimate the size of the spawn. Estimates will be available around the end of June."
I'm actually interested in the total biomass of the herring and how many were taken in the fishery.

Good to see that some of the Habitat is restored.. and lets hope more herring find it there... I would ask how many more house and people live in that area from the good old days..we forget how much of a impact we as people have.... every where on the coast..

Good to see that some of the Habitat is restored.. and lets hope more herring find it there... I would ask how many more house and people live in that area from the good old days..we forget how much of a impact we as people have.... every where on the coast..
A lot of houses/cabins in "the good old days" were piping their effluent right out front into the ocean so good to know that not much of that going on anymore.

Better question is why wouldn't you be interested??

the data is not hard to find, in season estimates have been posted in notices how much harvested has been posted in notices. Post season estimates will be out later.

terrin knows all this

its been posted on here many times, just the same people that want to stir the pot.

The sog looks like its gonna be 75K+ tons that puts it on the upper end of historical. The catch looks to be very minimal at 5k tons, that puts it very low level compared to historical. I look at historical data like this and don't see any issues. Herring was over exploited in the 1940s-1970s but lots changed in management post then.

1680207032672.png

Better question is why wouldn't you be interested??

if terrin cared even a 10th of what i do he would know all the data. he clearly does not care enough to educate himself dispite me posting links to him for the last 5 years

so my question to him is why does he care, it does not matter what gets posted he don't believe any of it.

Last edited:
if terrin cared even a 10th of what i do he would know all the data. he clearly does not care enough to educate himself dispite me posting links to him for the last 5 years

so my question to him is why does he care, it does not matter what gets posted he don't believe any of it.
This Thread is about Herring Fishery and to that end I was just enquiring if the post season numbers are known yet. I feel a few people would be interested in knowing the numbers. I do agree you have posted links to data in the past and I appreciate it however when you feel you have the right or ability to grade my care over yours and go further to suggest I’m just stirring the pot I would like to ask who put you in charge?

the data is not hard to find, in season estimates have been posted in notices how much harvested has been posted in notices. Post season estimates will be out later.

terrin knows all this

its been posted on here many times, just the same people that want to stir the pot.

The sog looks like its gonna be 75K+ tons that puts it on the upper end of historical. The catch looks to be very minimal at 5k tons, that puts it very low level compared to historical. I look at historical data like this and don't see any issues. Herring was over exploited in the 1940s-1970s but lots changed in management post then.
Thanks for the info. I'm sorry but I don't know who the individual conflicts are with re the info. I like seeing the data you post, its helpful 👍.

Back