Help me spend/save my money

dude youve decided to move on. just do it instead of agonizing about repowering a crappy old boat with a new engine.
wtf. some people. what the heck are you pondering ?
you have crappy boat with bad engine. do you (a) waste a huge chunk of change and several years using the crappy old boat or do you (b) get a shiny new pocket cruiser and go explore/enjoy life while youre still alive and in good health.
why do you think i took the plunge and bought a 40 foot transoceanic capable yacht ? (of course, i kept my old boat as well since i need something for BC but thats a different story...)
i guess you can technically do (c) - repower old boat with new engine AND buy shiny new pocket cruiser but if that was the case you wouldnt waste time pondering the finances of the situation and would have done it already. you can be me and have a fleet if you want.
Crappy old boat lol you are funny man. I'd love to have his boat!

Thanks Stizzla - it is definitely a great boat for us. You have a fair sense of market values. What do you feel would be a fair price for this without a motor?
Tough. Don’t see this come up too often.
A nice hull with no motor is very appealing. I’d say in the 25-30k range?

Tough. Don’t see this come up too often.
A nice hull with no motor is very appealing. I’d say in the 25-30k range?
Thanks. My math was a bit higher (bias perhaps :)). We thought a good start before the bearing issue, based on a couple of months comparing to others would be 67 or so, knowing we would come off a bit as well. Say 63K. Now, I have found a slightly newer, lower hour motor that I could have installed, all in for 22K.

63K - 22 = 41K. So I had it somewhere between 35 and 41K, but hey, it is always up to whatever the market dictates.

Thanks again - enjoying the new canvas?

Very possible in the high 30’s low 40’s.
It’s still crazy that pre Covid my bud sold his 2006 2301 with low hour Yamaha 225 for $42k and we thought he made off like a bandit.

I’d also keep my eye out for a two stroke yami or a complete package of any brand 2 stroke with controls. Sometimes you can get them for under 5k.

Go to a couple of dealers and ask what they would give you as trade in, as is. With the taxes and time saved you might come out ahead.

Alberni boat house has a couple Ranger Tug 27 outboards. Way out of my price range but I thought about asking them to run the numbers on a trade in then I remembered they have the same beam and no significant additional real estate like a fly bridge.

These guys have a couple of 225hp they could put on it and get you into that Wellcraft 252 or 24 cuddy king. I think they sent me an engine part for free once, decent people.

If you sell the boat with dead main power, bottom fishers show up. If you buy new motor (if you can get one), you will sell boat and be very upside down. I would see if you can find a decent replacement motor over the winter months that is the same as you had fail (Yamaha F250), and thus you dont need too replace controls/wiring/gauges, and replacement is simply a 2 hour plug and play. Here is one in FL that you could get shipped for maybe $400+https://www.boattrader.com/listing/2006-yamaha-outboards-f250tur-104444608/ not saying "this is the motor" but over the next few months there will be other opportunities where guys are repowering and having a mechanic look at motor long distance and then shipping to your dealer is not a big thing. Also, beware of the F225 in the pre 2006 vintage. good luck. DAJ

I would take this 23 striper without power over the zurkmobile any day.
dont shoot the messenger lol.
you know what i mean. boats, airplanes, cars and all other vehicles have a useful purpose. when they fail to serve their useful purpose for the owner, they are all crappy regardless of physical condition. no point holding on to lawn ornaments.
I had a very nice 40 foot RV. i used it full time for over 5 years and put 250,000km on it across the US and Canada. it still worked great in year 10 when i bought a house but all it did was sit in front of the house and rust since i had no use for it any longer. it became crappy and i sold it. the new owner was incredibly happy and for him it was the best thing ever. A fully winterized insulated RV with cameras, remote controlled everything, GPS, CB radio working 100% for cheap.
was i sad to see it go ? sure. but it was a crappy old RV and time for it to go. life had changed and i had moved on.

you know what i mean. boats, airplanes, cars and all other vehicles have a useful purpose. when they fail to serve their useful purpose for the owner, they are all crappy regardless of physical condition. no point holding on to lawn ornaments.
I had a very nice 40 foot RV. i used it full time for over 5 years and put 250,000km on it across the US and Canada. it still worked great in year 10 when i bought a house but all it did was sit in front of the house and rust since i had no use for it any longer. it became crappy and i sold it. the new owner was incredibly happy and for him it was the best thing ever. A fully winterized insulated RV with cameras, remote controlled everything, GPS, CB radio working 100% for cheap.
was i sad to see it go ? sure. but it was a crappy old RV and time for it to go. life had changed and i had moved on.

you are not wrong how many times to do you hear i should of done this years ago.

If you sell the boat with dead main power, bottom fishers show up. If you buy new motor (if you can get one), you will sell boat and be very upside down. I would see if you can find a decent replacement motor over the winter months that is the same as you had fail (Yamaha F250), and thus you dont need too replace controls/wiring/gauges, and replacement is simply a 2 hour plug and play. Here is one in FL that you could get shipped for maybe $400+https://www.boattrader.com/listing/2006-yamaha-outboards-f250tur-104444608/ not saying "this is the motor" but over the next few months there will be other opportunities where guys are repowering and having a mechanic look at motor long distance and then shipping to your dealer is not a big thing. Also, beware of the F225 in the pre 2006 vintage. good luck. DAJ
Thanks DAJ and Kaelc. Both responses were forthright and provided me a few variations on how to proceed. Heading to the shop later this week to run through a few options. Was informed of a used unit that came in but still would set me back 23k when the ink dried. Might as well put on new at that point and enjoy the boat for a few years 😀

How much for a new power head installed? Might be best option.
Couple of quotes depending on long or short block. Long blocks were 15 k plus install etc. Came to just over 20k

Issue with shot block from a mechanic that I trust is that there may be additional damage from the bearing going that may not be evident.

Still looking at this option. Thanks.

Couple of quotes depending on long or short block. Long blocks were 15 k plus install etc. Came to just over 20k

Issue with shot block from a mechanic that I trust is that there may be additional damage from the bearing going that may not be evident.

Still looking at this option. Thanks.
I've seen posts on BDOutdoors and others looking for the same engine. What do you think it's worth as is, as a parts engine. I'd put something like this on it.

Just my opinion, but when I see boats advertised with failed main power, my mind categorizes them as "owner couldn't be bothered to fix," followed immediately by "potential project boat." The implication is it's a dead end and just want it gone. Bottom feeders are drawn to such ads. Me, I'd be wondering what else is wrong beyond just a power head failure. Transom rot?

When I see a hull on trailer, motor/s removed with clean transom, that paints a different picture. The rig has been cleaned up for sale, owner appears to care about the boat. More value assigned to such hulls in my mind.

Just my opinion of course, but I'd be either putting a used Yam 250 on it to avoid time and expense of re-rigging, or repairing the failed existing power. Then sell it and go after that dream boat you were already pondering. A boat that is truly turn key is worth more than the sum of the hull, motors and electronics, and a good sea trial with a serious buyer will put more money in your jeans. You just can’t explain how well she rides in a quartering sea over the phone or in a FB ad. Attempting to sell as is with failed power will drain away even more value, considerably more than the loss represented by the motor breakdown.

You're getting great inputs from this board.
I had to deal with a similar issue but with a smaller impact earlier this year. Early in the process, I realized that selling a boat with no power or with a damaged engine is a no-no in this market.
I hate those X-large repair bills but it may still be your best option to mitigate the issue and move to your next dream boat. I'd get three quotes from different dealers for repairing your unit. Sometimes, a bit of travel to a dealer outside of your area may save you some $$$. We're getting close to the end of the season and most shops will have open cycles during the fall/winter. Fix the motor, put it up for sale in early spring and also keep your eyes on the market for what may look like your next dream boat. You never know when you may find a good deal and recover some of your loss on the buying side. Just my 2 cents for what it's worth. Good luck.

I've seen posts on BDOutdoors and others looking for the same engine. What do you think it's worth as is, as a parts engine. I'd put something like this on it.

You're getting great inputs from this board.
I had to deal with a similar issue but with a smaller impact earlier this year. Early in the process, I realized that selling a boat with no power or with a damaged engine is a no-no in this market.
I hate those X-large repair bills but it may still be your best option to mitigate the issue and move to your next dream boat. I'd get three quotes from different dealers for repairing your unit. Sometimes, a bit of travel to a dealer outside of your area may save you some $$$. We're getting close to the end of the season and most shops will have open cycles during the fall/winter. Fix the motor, put it up for sale in early spring and also keep your eyes on the market for what may look like your next dream boat. You never know when you may find a good deal and recover some of your loss on the buying side. Just my 2 cents for what it's worth. Good luck.
I have decided against the repair route - 3 pretty good mechanics that I deal with all went to the same quote estimate that made it a silly choice plus the addition of two unknowns:

1. Other possible damage caused by the bearing failure, and
2. Exhaust corrosion that was part of that model's history.

And you are 100% correct - almost every post has been outstanding, purposeful and with great ideas. Appreciate your post.

Just my opinion, but when I see boats advertised with failed main power, my mind categorizes them as "owner couldn't be bothered to fix," followed immediately by "potential project boat." The implication is it's a dead end and just want it gone. Bottom feeders are drawn to such ads. Me, I'd be wondering what else is wrong beyond just a power head failure. Transom rot?

When I see a hull on trailer, motor/s removed with clean transom, that paints a different picture. The rig has been cleaned up for sale, owner appears to care about the boat. More value assigned to such hulls in my mind.

Just my opinion of course, but I'd be either putting a used Yam 250 on it to avoid time and expense of re-rigging, or repairing the failed existing power. Then sell it and go after that dream boat you were already pondering. A boat that is truly turn key is worth more than the sum of the hull, motors and electronics, and a good sea trial with a serious buyer will put more money in your jeans. You just can’t explain how well she rides in a quartering sea over the phone or in a FB ad. Attempting to sell as is with failed power will drain away even more value, considerably more than the loss represented by the motor breakdown.
Thanks S_K,

I have also removed that no power sale off my list:)

Maybe a lease return would a good repower option but may be to late to get on a list for this fall.

Back