Help! Hydraulic or cable helm

sea_beyond

Hey Guys,

Can anyone tell from the picture if this helm is hydraulic or cable controlled? If I could look underneath I could figure it out but I can't at the moment. Your knowledge would be much appreciated! Cheers

Attachments

• 2015-03-20 13.05.17.jpg
    2015-03-20 13.05.17.jpg
    84 KB · Views: 184
My money is on cable by the looks hard to say though. If I remember right Teleflex has the only cable steering system for two stations. Does this boat have a lower helm? Actually on closer inspection I see a vent fill cap so it appears to be hydraulic after all.

Last edited by a moderator:
I could be wrong but it looks like there is a fill hole on the top of the steering block; so if it is the filler then it would be hydraulic. Pic isn't very clear for a definite though. If this is a second helm station then it would be hydraulic as I don't think you can have separate helms with cable.

Id have to say Hydraulic too, looks like a fill cap to me on the top of the helm, and it also looks like a second steering station.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks for the responses! It has seastar hydraulic at the lower helm that is a newer (last 10 years) installation. I can't tell if it's a filler cap on there either. I assumed it had hydraulic steering on the fly when I looked at the boat but when I went back to look at a couple pictures I took I started to wonder. Thought maybe the previous owner just disconnected the top station when he put in the seastar. I assumed the boat had cables originally but what you guys mentioned about needing hydraulic steering with two stations makes sense. This is good news. Cheers!

Back