Heat shrink tubing using hairdryer?

If your hair dryer will achieve these temperature "Shrink temperature: 120 deg C (250 deg F) to 250 deg C (480 deg F)." I use a heat gun, but before that I used a hair dryer until herself laid down the law:D

Heat gun is definitely worth it. As an alternative, if you are careful and doing the work in the open and not an enclosed space, you can also use a propane torch.

Also worth spending the little bit of extra money and get proper marine grade adhesive lined shrink tubing. I've had good luck with Ancor and Vertex products. The tubing is thicker, the adhesive seals out moisture and the shrink ratio is 3-to-1 vs 2-to-1.

Thanks for your input. Think I'll just get a heat gun. I measured my hairdryer max temp to be 95 with a meat thermometer, so don't think it will work.

I have always used a BBQ lighter. It works real fast - just don't blink, but pay attention.

An electrician should have told you that it says 105 degrees C on the tubing. So a 2000 watt heat gun is needed. hair dryers only go to 1600 watts or less.
I put ordinary clear heat-shrink tubing over the cork, lower handle, which can be stripped off with a knife. No extra internal glue needed or wanted. protects the cork from excess wear in and out of the rod holder.

Back