Head return for DFO

We all want DFO to make decisions based on accurate data rather than speculative information and politics. Here is an opportunity for us to provide data. We would be fools not to embrace the opportunity. I would be delighted to provide my daily records to DFO. Lets get behind this initiative because it makes good sense!!

well for anyone who has followed and read any of wolfy's post's (and many others) over the last few years, you would know what roy is saying now is a complete 180, as he always said dont help the creel or turn in heads, so if roy is now fighting for turning in heads and keeping info what do you think that means
HELLO
it must be a turning point, i am glad to hear that there was a meeting that some passionte people got to express our concerns and maybe finally a common understanding might have been reached (dfo is using crazy #'s)
So i for one will do whatever i can to help out, ie... record what i do, i always have but now it will be more in depth

tks to all who attending the meeting and finally got some truths as to how dfo has based its decissions , and tryin to find away to get the truth to them :D

quote:Originally posted by UNKNOWN

...since I am sending you one, I might as well send you 25 to help distribute to friends, family and associates.:)

Give me a shout Wolf.

R.
Ill take one off Wolfy

thought I would add the list of head depots for all to view
http://www.pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/fm-gp/rec/tag-etiquette/depots-eng.htm
Use them when you can.If for no other reason you have the chance to win some prizes

Hooch
swiftsurehaliaug07-1.jpg

ALL hatchery heads so then they can see that we are not impacting that run ill be honest with you guys in sooke I personally dont think you are going to see a lot of nicola hatchery fish I did ask the question in the meeting basically this " is the hatchery going to increase the amout of fin clip salmon being returned to the ocean from the nicola watershed"????? the answer was YES!!! so that gives us "more" chance of accually catching this run....

And ill further personally say and this is my opinion the hatchery fish we catch are mostly american anyways so i am thinking if we do turn in all these heads they will see a pattern of maybe 1 out of 10 are from the nicola water system, so they want data lets give them it all then they cant come back and say we didnt try......

Im willing to give it because if we dont I think we are headed for more trouble next year and years after this.

Thanks Wolf

Blue Wolf Charters
www.bluewolfcharters.com

quote:Originally posted by wolf

And ill further personally say and this is my opinion the hatchery fish we catch are mostly american anyways
Let me guess - Puget Sound, but at least they aren’t my early ESA! These would now be my ‘stocks of concern'. :)

I can safely say, it does not have to be an opinion! And, I think your 1 out of 10 might be quite low. You guys turn in ALL the heads clipped or not and I think you will find that U.S. numbers are much higher than thought, even by DFO. The Puget Sound early are more apt to hang around the Sooke/Victoria area than any Fraser - they mostly live on the south end and WCVI and they will move out of those currents at the end of the Strait, right into you - And DFO KNOWS that! They are one of the many that did the study on that, that I read years ago! Most of those caught in May, are very much my Yankee ESA fish - DFO KNOWS that. You are now mostly getting Puget Sound summer/fall ‘cookie-cutters’ – Nisqually and Green River fish. I would be very surprised if you got many Fraser at all – right now, this week - but they are coming very shortly. BTW if it is white – there is over a 90% chance it is Fraser, clipped or unclipped! You might want to think about letting that one go this year! There are very few Nicola passing Sooke/Victoria right now. Catching one of those would be very much like a needle in a hay stack - literally! This is now the middle of June, most of those are in the rivers?
quote: I did ask the question in the meeting basically this " is the hatchery going to increase the amount of fin clip salmon being returned to the ocean from the Nicola watershed"????? the answer was YES!!! so that gives us "more" chance of actually catching this run....
Well, you got me on this? I would like to know when and how they are going to increase the ‘Nicola’ clipping – they already clip 100% of them. Are they going increase the number of smolts? I don’t think so and they sure didn’t do it in 2009. And, the only think DFO has done there is reduce the number of smolts from over 330,000 (?) down to around 240,000(?). I can get you the exact numbers, if you want?

But, I do just keep getting confused and like someone to ask DFO a question sometime? I find it interesting that DFO can make an issue of all this now - when they are the ones that have consistently reduced/cut the Spius Creek Hatchery production of Chinook smolts from a high of 1,141,410 in 1989 down to 394,112 in 2006? So, if DFO allows their habitat destroyed, reduce the smolt production, and then become concerned and complain about less fish and low returns? I am confused – can they please explain that one?
http://www.canbcdw.pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/ows/reports/releaseReport.asp?

Then, when I check the First Nations catch, they really didn’t even target those Chinook? I see a catch of ten (10), through May-23 in the lower Fraser and not a fish taken since… that’s really sad!
http://www.pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/fraserriver/firstnations/PDFs/ChinookKeptCatch.pdf

Interesting games you Canucks are playing up there, ey?

Charlie, maybe it's time we s_ _ _ canned :( DFO and hired Washington or Oregon to do the job for us. They at least seem to have some idea what they are about. ;) [8D]

Too much water, too little time

All the heads I have returned in early have been US fish as well. I even had some coho from July 09 that came back and were from the Columbia system. The springs from summer 09 came back no pins.

Back