Harper sent Border guards to Deport Don Staniford at the court house.

Wow, what an embarrassment. Unless there's something wrong with his work visa or whatever...although I'm pretty sure if you get in **** if on work visa you get deported...he's not a cdn citizen?

Has anyone else noticed that on the Province articles regarding the Cohen Commission and any Canada.com articles relating to salmon farming the comment ability is removed from all articles, same with anything to do with the Harper Govt articles, and they seem to sink very fast once posted. Does the Government have control of our media? Me thinks so.

Obviously the gov has decided that what this gentleman might bring up in court is far more embarrassing and could do more damage than having him arrested and sent home before he can speak.

Tried to email Don and it seems they've blocked his email.
I've seen this coming for a long time. It's coming to a head and sooner or later Harper (and Gordon Campbell) will take the fall for this circus of destruction and collusion they have been the Master's of. They are scrambling to cover their tracks and muzzle those who oppose or threaten to expose them.

Mark my words!

Just thought I'd check in on Don's Facebook page to see if I could learn anything else about his situation. No mention of the CBS incident and there's a recent post from him (within the previous hour) concerning his court case today. Maybe I missed something; not very familiar with F-book.

Hope more of you can help him out with donations to fight this. His legal fees are $3/k per-day! He's up against a billion-dollar foreign outfit and our own corrupt government with endless taxpayers dollars to fight him with.

Seeing as how I have found that Kosher symbol (U in a circle) on food products before Holme's video was shown...and seeing as how I always wondered what the hell it stood for.. (for a long time I thought it meant "union-made"), I will be doing further research on this alleged built-in tax.

I don't see the video as anti-Semitic...I see it as referrenced material.

I am not going to dismiss it before I can verify the proposed facts.
If the facts are true....there are a lot of brands I won't be buying anymore.....simply because I was not informed of this tax and I never asked to have my food certified as Kosher in the first place.

P.S. Right after I posted this I went and looked in the cupboard.....and right there staring me in the face was a big tin of MJB coffee....with the U-in-a-circle symbol right on the front.......

Last edited by a moderator:
from todays G&M.....

19 Jan 2012The Globe and Mail (BC Edition)MARK HUMEVANCOUVER
Fish farm critic loses bid to probe industry

A defamation case against a fish farm critic cannot be turned into a public inquiry that puts aquaculture on trial for its practices globally, a Supreme Court of British Columbia judge has ruled.
Madam Justice Elaine Adair on Wednesday refused an application from defence lawyer David Sutherland to amend the pleadings of Don Staniford, a controversial fish farm critic who says the case is an attempt by big business to silence him.
Mr. Sutherland had sought to broaden the case’s scope to look at fish farming internationally.
His application came on the third day of the trial, in which Mainstream Canada is accusing Mr. Staniford of damaging the company by comparing farmed salmon to tobacco.
Mr. Sutherland argued that his client’s campaign (launched in January, 2011, on the website of a group called The Global Alliance Against Industrial Aquaculture) had been critical of fish farms in general, not just Mainstream Canada. He wanted the court to consider “a range of meanings” in the words Mr. Staniford used that are alleged to be defamatory, which would open the way to hear evidence about the industry globally. “We say it’s not defamatory of Mainstream, because it’s talking about an industry worldwide,” Mr. Sutherland said of the slogans Mr. Staniford used in the campaign, which ran under the banner: “Salmon farming kills.”
Mainstream Canada’s lawyer, David Wotherspoon, objected to the application, however, saying Mr. Staniford’s campaign specifically targeted his client in declaring, among other things, that “Salmon farms are cancer,” and “Salmon farming kills like smoking.”
The graphic for the campaign showed mock cigarette packages labelled “Norwegian owned” and carried a number of other slogans, including “Salmon farming??? Better to smoke ‘em than eat ‘em,” and “Salmon farming is a leathal [sic] weapon.”
Mainstream Canada is a subsidiary of the Norwegian company Cermaq ASA, a world leader in farmed salmon production.
In a notice of claim, the company alleges that Mr. Staniford’s campaign “is calculated to injure the aquaculture industry in British Columbia and elsewhere, including Mainstream’s business and the reputation and the goodwill it enjoys with its customers.”
It states that the campaign “employs graphic imagery that links the defamatory words and Mainstream to tobacco manufacturers and cigarettes.”
And it says that “the defamatory words meant ... Mainstream’s business and products kill people; Mainstream’s business and products make people sick; Mainstream’s products are unsafe for human consumption.”
The activities of fish farms globally “are not what this case is about,” Judge Adair said.
“The defence must be directed to the complaint that’s made by the plaintiff in the action.”

They're trying to bottleneck him into actually using their name in the courthouse. He needs to just keep saying "The industry" and not ever mention the company name in the courtroom.

what about my idea tho?, they cant possibly sue us all can they? if we all started our own individual campaigns?...holmes*

They could try. What they are seeking is a dangerous landmark injunction to deter anyone from speaking out against industry ever again, and using Don as the example of what happens to those who do.
This is effectively a legal challenge to end free speech, and perhaps the Canadian Charter of Rights and Freedoms by using a "loose" word to prove libel, and slander.

Trust me this company is not in it for the 125k in damages. They're aiming to make an example and scare people from speaking out about the farms.

What is most troublesome is that if they manage to win this case, every time someone speaks out about the farms in future and gets taken to court, the courts will use this decision as a test of case law to compare to, and it's findings.

This is where it can get very troublesome for people in the future if it does come back eventually that farms are causing the problems.
How can you prove that if you're not even by law allowed to speak of it in a court room?

Last edited by a moderator:
Interesting but not surprising I suppose that none of the other news outlets have anything to say regarding this story yet.. ....Before they took him to court no one had even heard of him but now if his defence is successful the whole world will hear of it.. ....don't forget that defence fund people 20 day trials are very expensive.. ....

http://m.theglobeandmail.com/news/n...-wide-critique/article2307428/?service=mobile

Good on ya holmes....if only everyone on here gave a little it would make a big difference.....:)

update on the trial.....

Hello

Here is a brief update on the first week of a trial between Don Staniford and one of the three big fish farm companies operating in British Columbia, Mainstream owned-by Cermaq, which is largely owned by the Norwegian government. At issue is Staniford's comparing salmon farming PR to the tobacco industry PR.

The trial is ongoing today see facebook page Salmon Are Sacred for notes on today's proceedings it seems to be coming down to whether the industry executives can admit to knowing there is controversy over salmon farming or not.

Don is working as an individual you can contribute to his court costs: http://www.gofundme.com/donstaniford

http://www.alexandramorton.typepad.com

salmon wars
anglers take on and cause disturbance at remote fish farm's

could likely happen
wonder if we will get a TV series out of it?
that would make it main stream

armed guards at every fish farm.....lol

or we just end up with an empty sea .......sad way to go

It is surprising to me that these court cases and issues are not being picked up more by mainstream media (then again, maybe it's not since mainstream media has it's own agenda). These issues have everything that is generally newsworthy these days: heros and villians, big corporations in bed with big gov't, diehard activists, corruption allegations, potentially extinct species, fierce front line battles, and on and one. I think it would be a very entertaining TV series/reality show and I know I would sure as hell watch. Would need a way to make it interesting to a larger audience than BC though. Maybe just have a few super hot babes in it? Generally, that's all it takes no?

Back