Halibut Seminar

Great foghorn is he going to swear at us all like on this video?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pqvLb2v4RqU

or tell us about how not to get to close to boats? didnt he do that off of some pt a year back and scared a guy?

Ive had the pleasure my freind charterd his boat twice skunked! And all he did was brag on how he was the best on "the coast" my freind who came all the way from alberta(he paid) said it was the worst thing he has done and will never come back. I will say he does get them I guess but his people skills are a tad ruff. and always grumpy.
He went off on another boat that was near him complaining to anyone who would listen on that radio.
From what ive read in the past there is other guides better or good as him on this forum.

btw what did you have to pay him for this as in his words he "doesnt do anything for free"

Found time today to get the tickets to Island Outfitters and Westshore Sportfishing. They have 50 each to get started.
Profisher,
I thought I put my name down at the seminar, but no e-mail, so perhaps not? Anyway, are you going to get some tickets out to Eagle Eye in Sooke??

Englishman..I will have tickets out to eagle Eye on the weekend. As for Gord...he is a good guy and a friend. He is doing it for free as he wants to support the cause. He isn't shy with saying whats on his mind and that does carry over in an ability to talk in front of a crowd. There are a few guys like Gord who know their halibut fishing, but when asked to talk in front of 200 people...can't do it. That I understand as not everyone is comfortable in that situation. Gord won't have a problem talking and he will keep it civil...I know that. What he does with his customers while on a charter is his business and for this event not my concern.

Should have said what he does with his customers in his business is not my concern. One to many Piper's to be on here making sense.

BTW the guys in that video were some guys that I gave him (never fished with me before) as I was up in Nootka at the time. They were drunk when they got on the boat at first light. The guy screaming to "reel' is the drunk guy on the camera. Gord was trying to coach the guy on the rod but was being drowned out by the drunk guy. I laughed when I watched this because I was glad it was him on that trip and not me....I would have taken them back to the dock. In my mind you got 364 days of the year to get pissed if you want to...you got 1 day set aside to fish.

Nothing i hate more than drunks on a charter. They only go with me once.

BTW the guys in that video were some guys that I gave him (never fished with me before) as I was up in Nootka at the time. They were drunk when they got on the boat at first light. The guy screaming to "reel' is the drunk guy on the camera. Gord was trying to coach the guy on the rod but was being drowned out by the drunk guy. I laughed when I watched this because I was glad it was him on that trip and not me....I would have taken them back to the dock. In my mind you got 364 days of the year to get pissed if you want to...you got 1 day set aside to fish.

Thanks for the clarification profisher. I wasn't sure who was who in that vid. If that was the guide yelling I was thinking "wow, don't book a charter with that guy":eek: ha ha:D.

Hopefully heading down for the seminar. Looking forward to it.

Last edited by a moderator:
There were 2 emails on my list that wouldn't send. Send me an email at sscl@shaw.ca so I can copy and paste into my email address book. Some handwriting is tough to read. Especially when the name is not a regular word...ie a combination of numbers and letters...you get some that look like a 1 or a l..guess wrong and it goes no where.

You mentioned 'Seattle' Rollie; is Charlie coming up for this event? Would be good to finally meet him. Charlie... you out there?

We have pre-sold 30 tickets so far prior to the public announcement. Way ahead of the salmon seminar sales so far. I hope a few of you guys are planning to drop into the pub just down the hall for a drink or two after the seminar is over. I may have to hang back for a few minutes to tidy up loose ends but will definitely be having dinner and a few pops in the pub. Probably get the wife to drop me off and pick me up too.

For the guys in Sooke...I never found time over the weekend to get out to Eagle Eye with their tickets. Had to take advantage of the weather and get all the Christmas lights up. I will be out that way on Tuesday and Wednesday to do a charter, so will drop them off after the trip.

If there was a way to be able to a have sizable donation to our cause I would look at doing that. I think most of the trade show speakers get very little for their time. More product or face recognition than anything else.

just try and keep me away, I'm pretty sure there are a few tricks I could learn, especially about anchoring. Last time I tried anchoring it wasn't a pleasant experience, maybe too much current or too small of a boat. And it looks like I might need to get my hali early again too, I better plan on emptying the freezer a bit earlier than usual.

This is a bonus way for me to donate to help out the interpretive center, they get some funds and I get some fun. I bought a couple extra tickets to give for Christmas presents too.

never been to any of these but would like to take my father to this we are in Port Alberni and were does this take place and were can I find two tickets, any info would be greatly appretiated

Back