Halibut season

quote:I am sorry, but it has been far less than twenty years that sport anglers have targeted the mighty flat fish, it has only been within this time frame that it has been recognized as a sport valued fish

quote:I can most certainly grantee that in 1979, halibut was not a mainstream</u> sport fishery

Gee what a difference a single word makes Mason.... I guess all of us who lived and worked in the charlottes and in the Central Coast were not mainstream because we didnt live in Victoria. But I can tell you that you are absolutely wrong to say there was no sportsfishery for halibut 40 years ago. The only difference was that we used large jigs on a handline.... But we were MOST cetainly sportfishing ... and there were a considerable number of us who did. Not many butcher shops where I was working

But you are right about wasting time debating these issues on line when there is a better target for our word processors..... later..

Intruder2-2.jpg

20ft Alumaweld Intruder

This is all rumors once I see it from DFO itself then ill believe it as there is so much back and forth debating nobody really knows DFO is very tight lipped and ill be honest that scares me...WHY????

Wolf

Blue Wolf Charters
www.bluewolfcharters.com

just talked to DFO - weds. is the new D-day - she did tell me I could call a Gary Logan in Vancouver as he is playing a large part in the decision making.

Gary Logan
604-666-9033

called Gerry logan and posed as a traveling Angler from Cali, concerned about my yearly march halibut trip to sooke.

Opening march first with 1 per day, 2 possession was what he had to say.

I called at about 10:10am this morning to the office in victoria..she said to call back on thursday...she "wished she could tell me something"...if they know..just tell us...morons...there taking more and more money out of the economy everyday they stall...

This is my lates response received today from an E mail sent last night. Looks like the alleged March 1/09 opening is only rumour!
They are starting to really like my ten e-mails a day...

Hi Justin,

DFO fishery managers have not finalized a decision to open sport fishing opportunities for halibut and fishing remains closed. I suggest you check again towards the end of the week to see if an announcement has been made.

You can check by going to this link and clicking on the grey button called "get notice list".
http://www-ops2.pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/x...cfm?pg=search_options&lang=en&id=recreational

Margarita Schwartzel
Fisheries and Oceans Canada | Pêches et Océans Canada
Communications Branch | Direction des communications
200-401 Burrard Street, Vancouver, BC V6C 3S4 | Pièce 200 401, rue Burrard, Vancouver, (C.-B.) V6C 3S4
Tel: (604) 666-1704 Fax/Télécopieur: 604-666-1847
Margarita.Schwartzel@dfo-mpo.gc.ca

www.tailspincharters.com

tailspin call gerry logan at 604-666-9033 - he said he WANTS guides to call him so can fill you in.

When I posed as a visiting angler he wanted "my guides" phone number so he could call him to tell him what he just told me.

1/day 2/possesion open march 1st.

PS - it's actually Gary Logan at DFO

God never did make a more calm, quiet, innocent recreation than angling - Izaak Walton

From Chris Bos

Halibut open March 01/09
1 per day/2 possesion, season will stay open until
we hit our allocation.

quote:Originally posted by The Jackel

Time to rape and pilage folks it won't be open for long as we will be over our TAC real early[:0]

www.heavyhaulerfishingcharters.com

&gt;&lt;))))"&gt;

Oh yeah, at a 1/day pace - serious pilaging there...not...
Hate to say it, but I'm going out on a limb and saying our company wont be doing our annual trip to Renfrew now thanks to that. Damn shame for the town and the guides as that's $6000 or so that wont be spent. We are just 1 group of how many????????? I hope I'm wrong regardless...but..........

Yeah, Deewar, I think Renfrew can close shop now... They are done unless they come up with tuna trips or so.

Here's reality people....
I just had some clients call me and say that they are still coming this year....just don't expect them to be releasing any of those big fish like we did last year.
Thank you DFO for again not looking at the bigger picture and like we have all said all along...this has nothing to do with conservation and more to do with padding the pockets of the commercial boy's that are pretty much living the good life in Hawaii...

www.coastwidesportsfishing.com

So you would cancel the company fishing trip over one halibut per person, average size 15 lbs? You still get a wonderful day with a guide, a great experiance, two springs probably teens or better and possible coho or ? A day with Jackel telling his hockey stories and wacking a nice sized hali and a couple mooched cutplug chinooks is a great day. For the sake of 15 lbs of hali each a shame to cancel the awesome day of fishing!

quote:Originally posted by powder

So you would cancel the company fishing trip over one halibut per person, average size 15 lbs? You still get a wonderful day with a guide, a great experiance, two springs probably teens or better and possible coho or ? A day with Jackel telling his hockey stories and wacking a nice sized hali and a couple mooched cutplug chinooks is a great day. For the sake of 15 lbs of hali each a shame to cancel the awesome day of fishing!

Don't need to tell me that, but yes, likely as the manager that organizes loves his halibut and probably couldn't justify the cost any longer (not my company, not my decision!). Problem is, that is a long haul for 1 halibut and unless you are there in August, there may not be much else to target out on the banks (wasn't last year). What it comes down to essentially would be just a trip for salmon, and well, you can often do just as well in Sooke and the company would save about $3000.

Hope I'm wrong, but I think they'll be looking for a new activity or new location for the summer party.

I believe you're right Deewar, i don't know too many people who would
spend $1000 to go to the bank for a 20lb halibut and maybe a chance
at a spring or two.
IMO that meat fishery is done.

Still lots of people calling and booking 1000$ for a full day of fishing on the west coast for a halli and a couple of springs.
Or you could book a trip out of Vic or Sooke for 500$ for half a day and maybe get a halli or a salmon,maybe.

There's something about fishing the west coast that people love.
It's time to get back to fishing and not filling the freezer.

1 day trip
- $1000
- 1 25 pound halibut
= $40.00/pound, if your lucky enough to get one that is.

$15.83/lb for fillets today at thrifty foods. Your boss could still spend the $6 grand on Halibut and probly get 400-500 pounds already filleted for you guys to split up!!

That is unreal! It is now offically way cheaper at the supermarket!!
Not a good time to be a guide.

Take only what you need.

quote:Originally posted by The Fish Assassin

1 day trip
- $1000
- 1 25 pound halibut
= $40.00/pound, if your lucky enough to get one that is.

$15.83/lb for fillets today at thrifty foods. Your boss could still spend the $6 grand on Halibut and probly get 400-500 pounds already filleted for you guys to split up!!

That is unreal! It is now offically way cheaper at the supermarket!!
Not a good time to be a guide.

Take only what you need.

weak...try again - thats per boat and I seriously doubt 1 guy ever books - more typical is 3 to 4/boat, so on your so called 1 hali (each), that is $10-15/pound average IF you only caught a hali each. Odds are that isn't the case though and you can count on at least a 20lb salmon or two on top and perhaps a ling or two.

Last 3 years we have gone to Renfrew:
3 people, 6 hali, 8 salmon (coho/small springs), 3 snapper, 1 ling about 180 pounds

2 people, 4 hali, 3 salmon, 1 ling (I think...tougher year) - about 95 pounds

3 people - 5 hali, 6 salmon (all teens), few cod - about 160 pounds

Still can't justify supermarket even with only 1 hali - the guides will be fine, will adapt and fish the holes with the larger hali if need be, get into larger salmon etc etc

Personally, have not bought a fish in my life from a supermarket, and don't ever plan on it (if I have to live on trout, so be it!). For most of us, it's as much being out on the water than it is providing meals for the family!

ITS CALLED"SPORT FISHING" for a reason if you want meat go to the store if you want to experience fishing and the chance at some quality salmon,halibut crab or ,the westcoast,whales, seals,bald eagles and fun times then you go!!!!!! it is entertainment money you are really spending isnt it ??? think about it there is NO Guarantee in fishing..... If a quide tells you that I personally would book with him as he must be great.

If you spend $500 for a pair of canuck tickets ferry,hotel and etc and now your over $1200. people seem to have no problem with that and its only 3 hours of fun and all you get from it is pure entertainment you dont get to bring home anything from it just what you watched.

Point is we have to get away from the mind set the ocean is a never ending supply for our freezer yes its fantastic to get it and trust me I love it and eat it alot we have to stop giving it away to all our friends but if you choose to do that then dont ***** when it is all gone and seasons close!!!!!! Hoard what you catch and feed yourself first not everyone else

Wolf

Blue Wolf Charters
www.bluewolfcharters.com

Back