Halibut season

quote:Originally posted by r.s craven

250-363-3252

Everyone should call , burn up the phone lines boys !

i was told that the website was updated in Vancouver
here's the link

http://www.pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/recfish/Tidal/area19_e.htm

Central Contact:

Fisheries and Oceans Canada
Communications Branch
200 - 401 Burrard Street
Vancouver, BC, V6C 3S4
Canada
Tel : 604-666-0384
Fax: 604-666-1847

Observe, Record and Report (ORR) line:

Report violations to 1-800-465-4336 or in Greater Vancouver: 604-607-4186

Web Contact:

Web Co-ordinator
Fisheries and Oceans Canada
200 - 401 Burrard Street
Vancouver, BC, V6C 3S4
Canada

Contact the MINISTER of Fisheries and Oceans Canada:

The Honourable Gail Shea
House of Commons
Minister of Fisheries and Oceans Canada
Parliament Buildings, Wellington Street
Ottawa, ON K1A 0A6
Canada

E-Mail: Min@dfo-mpo.gc.ca (please include your postal address)

Fisheries and Oceans Canada - Pacific Region
Contact the Department Important Notices and Disclaimers
Questions Contact: Webmaster
Updated: 2008-11-06

90_55_halibut.jpg

Jim's Fishing Charters
www.JimsFishing.com
http://ca.youtube.com/user/Sushihunter250

quote:Interesting that the SFAB did not support a 1 and 2, daily and possession limit that would have extended the season. Is this because they prefer to see a shorter season that facilitates the big lodge operations that rely on liberal quotas to bring in customers? As for the local angler who fishes out of Victoria, how many halibut a day do you need? If you have three people in the boat, you can keep three halibut – isn’t that enough?

Kngfsh7-- you really dont have any idea what this is all about do you? I dont live in Victoria, and most of the people that fish halibut are not Victoria residents. 88% of what used to be a common property resource has been GIVEN away to 400 commercials and we get 12% for 300K anglers?? But you seem to figure that its OK to limit anglers to one a day?? For me to get to the halibut grounds and fish for a couple of days, it costs me $700-$800 that goes back into the general economy. But you feel its OK that I am only allowed ONE halibut? when I am fishing next to a longliner that is catching thousands of pounds?? OF FISH THAT REALLY BELONG TO ALL OVER THE PEOPLE OF CANADA Please get real!!!!

Intruder2-2.jpg

20ft Alumaweld Intruder

quote:Originally posted by Cuba Libre

quote:Interesting that the SFAB did not support a 1 and 2, daily and possession limit that would have extended the season. Is this because they prefer to see a shorter season that facilitates the big lodge operations that rely on liberal quotas to bring in customers? As for the local angler who fishes out of Victoria, how many halibut a day do you need? If you have three people in the boat, you can keep three halibut – isn’t that enough?

Kngfsh7-- you really dont have any idea what this is all about do you? I dont live in Victoria, and most of the people that fish halibut are not Victoria residents. 88% of what used to be a common property resource has been GIVEN away to 400 commercials and we get 12% for 300K anglers?? But you seem to figure that its OK to limit anglers to one a day?? For me to get to the halibut grounds and fish for a couple of days, it costs me $700-$800 that goes back into the general economy. But you feel its OK that I am only allowed ONE halibut? when I am fishing next to a longliner that is catching thousands of pounds?? OF FISH THAT REALLY BELONG TO ALL OVER THE PEOPLE OF CANADA Please get real!!!!

Intruder2-2.jpg

20ft Alumaweld Intruder

I am sorry, but it has been far less than twenty years that sport anglers have targeted the mighty flat fish, it has only been within this time frame that it has been recognized as a sport valued fish. Up and until this time frame we as sporty's were recognized for taking 1%. Has it now become the focus of our plight, we now have a gold mine at 18%. Which side of retarded did we all wake up and decide that every fishery was ours to own and diminish as we see fit? I am humbled at the fact the other Federal jurisdictions are commercial only, namely the East coast of Canada. What, are we now going to keep bumping up a notch until we have everything set in our favor, or are we willing to actually work at it all and truly come up with favorable options and solutions that work for all?? Bark, bark, bark! The sound caries however no solution is granted. Mason

[www.savebcsalmon.ca]

Mason,
the fact of the matter is that our Salmon fishery is in such a state
of decline, that many angler's are targeting Halibut now.
Now that DFO are clamping down on Halibut everyone is up in arms because there really isn't any other saltwater fishery.
Sad, but we humans are greedy and that gets in the way of common sense when it comes to protecting the resource.
(Myself included :()
I agree there is no easy solution.

quote:I am sorry, but it has been far less than twenty years that sport anglers have targeted the mighty flat fish, it has only been within this time frame that it has been recognized as a sport valued fish. Up and until this time frame we as sporty's were recognized for taking 1%. Has it now become the focus of our plight, we now have a gold mine at 18%. Which side of retarded did we all wake up and decide that every fishery was ours to own and diminish as we see fit? I am humbled at the fact the other Federal jurisdictions are commercial only, namely the East coast of Canada. What, are we now going to keep bumping up a notch until we have everything set in our favor, or are we willing to actually work at it all and truly come up with favorable options and solutions that work for all?? Bark, bark, bark! The sound caries however no solution is granted. Mason

Huh?? Try plain English.... and 20 years??? Well I can tell you that is just plain WRONG. I have been after these fish for a whole lot longer than that, and so have most of the grey beards that I fish with. Just because DFO didnt notice , does not mean our fishery didnt happen...

quote:we willing to actually work at it all and truly come up with favorable options and solutions that work for all??

Well try telling me again that it is reasonable that the people of Canada are allowed 12% of the TAC. And its OK for the government to gift away the other 88% to approximately 400 commercial fishermen !!!!
Ya-- tell me all about that one..... and while you are at it
quote:diminish as we see fit?
-- since when has the sportsfishery diminished the halibut stocks in BC????

You have been listening to the DFO and commercial BS too long.

Intruder2-2.jpg

20ft Alumaweld Intruder

Delayed season openings, 11th hour last minute crisis management, breaching the Minister's commitment to avoid in-season closures, inability to act fairly re intersectoral allocation, failuring to honour the advice of the SFAB process, stating publically when DFO fisheries notices will be given and then failing to honour their word are all symptoms of government agency in total crisis!

Its Feb 20th and there's still no DFO notice about a halibut opening.
Hundreds and hundreds of hours of volunteer anglers time has gone into trying to resolve this mess through the SFAB to avoid uncertainty and disruption of our hali fishery. What is a real killer is we want to see the commies get compensation for transfer to keep us fishing!

Behind this debacle they call the Thibeault 12/88 Halibut Allocation Framework is the fact it is a pilot project of intersectoral allocation. Next comes salmon, lingcod, prawns and crab - I am sure you just can't wait!

Remember this all started around 2000 when the greed-based commercial sector who were then recently gifted their Individual Transferable Halibut Quotas (quasi ownership of a resource) said to DFO Ottawa they wanted us sporties to have only 5% of the halibut TAC while they deserved 95%

It is terribly terribly wrong to let them destroy our fishery. If you aren't ready to take action against the treatment we have received, you had best practice bending over and buy plenty of vasoline

God never did make a more calm, quiet, innocent recreation than angling - Izaak Walton

Mason I personally have been fishing the Victoria area FOR halibut coming up to almost 30 years and been guiding people for almost 20 back then it was not so many people that did it before gps god can you remember them days!!!!!!.this whole thing that worries me the most it isnt about conservation. If it was It would be a better pill to swallow.its all political after reading that letter it just confirmed it more sad very sad indeed [V][V][V]

Wolf

Blue Wolf Charters
www.bluewolfcharters.com

loran worked quite well in the 70s as an aide for fishing halibutsbefore thatpeople were afraid and listened to silly storiesabout them.at least around victoriaanywaynice try mason theres lotsa halibut here.for comm. and sportcuba has a good point im allowed one while anotherguy winches in hundreds a day.right beside me?

Cuba, Wolf, that is very, very interesting, lets look at the sport fishery on a serious level, share your experience of the time. Let's start 30 years ago, Wolf, how old are you today? Cuba, I might think about your experience more, how ever I can most certainly grantee that in 1979, halibut was not a mainstream sport fishery. If you tell me it was then for certain you are a (sports)fisherman and full of much more than your favorite drink. Boy don't play the game of BS, you are further ahead dealing with today rather than playing bs and trying to portray something of which you are not or have never been. Think about it gentleman, don't bs it, as it will not help our plight, today or in the future. Mason

[www.savebcsalmon.ca]

Well guys its MHO that the only way the sports sector is going to get more access to halibut is by creating a mechanism to transfer quota from the commercial sector. the sports sector will waste alot of time and effort and possibly money if they think the government is going to just roll over and make all halibut a public resource. It a nice thought but IT IS NOT going to happen . Work on things you can change ,not things you can't. Again, my humble opinion

"Who would have ever thought it would be this much fun catching them one at a time"

MODS SHOULD THIS BE IN THE POLITICAL FORUM??

quote:im allowed one while another guy winches in hundreds a day.right beside me?

Feel free to buy your self a licence. For 5,472 LBS halibut it will cost you $237,664 (CDN) for the licence. Maybe that is how the SFAB could get more allocation, just buy up those commercial licences.

Take only what you need.

Well mason since Im an honest man ill tell you BECAUSE I was there ill be 42 this summer and started very early yes I didnt know back then what I do now but NOBODY did then.I got my first hali at 10 and then loved fishing ever since. But I was fortunate enough to have a elder take me under his wing who was an ex commercial fisherman who had a son and him an my dad would all go fishing we all have been friend and still going strong. His son and I have been friends ever since to this day we fish and hunt together.

YES there was a sportfishery for hali then as there was quite a few guys that did do it I still rememeber going over to his house to make "weights" we used to pour concrete into old soup cans for halibut weights and old MJB cans for salmon weights(funny seems the cans looked bigger back then) on the old girnies and he used to make us do this to teach us to work and respect what we were doing for what the process was he still is in the industry make fishing gear.Some of you know who im talking about.

WE used to just go out off of albert head or constance and throw an anchor down and most times we were around anywhere from 5 to 10 regulars that did it and even fished the race but we used to tie up to the "greencan" then someone else would come up and tie on to your stern and then another and so on sometimes over 15 boats would be tied on.

And I dont know if you remember this as well constance back used to be closed to all fishing up to april 1 but i cant remember when it closed (sorry) there was a few guides back then as well the boat I was on and the " TUGGY" and an old guy whos still around who by the name of old charlie who I occasionally drop of a few 3 oz pieces of halibut for as thats all he wants or some venison liver.

This is not BS as you have called me out in saying so please dont insult me or anyones intelligence most people are concerned with what is going down and pissed off plain and simple!!!!!!!!!
thanks have a great day

Wolf

5500 pounds for $238,000, that's aprox $48 per pound for the first year and is a permanent allocation, I assume? The recreational sector could make that back in the first year or two as a contribution to the economy. Between government, the local towns, the fishing orgs, guides, and the sporties this is do-able - that is if you could trust that DFO wouldn't simply take it back in a year.

quote:
I am sorry, but it has been far less than twenty years that sport anglers have targeted the mighty flat fish, it has only been within this time frame that it has been recognized as a sport valued fish. Up and until this time frame we as sporty's were recognized for taking 1%. Has it now become the focus of our plight, we now have a gold mine at 18%. Which side of retarded did we all wake up and decide that every fishery was ours to own and diminish as we see fit? I am humbled at the fact the other Federal jurisdictions are commercial only, namely the East coast of Canada. What, are we now going to keep bumping up a notch until we have everything set in our favor, or are we willing to actually work at it all and truly come up with favorable options and solutions that work for all?? Bark, bark, bark! The sound caries however no solution is granted. Mason

[www.savebcsalmon.ca]
Mason you are bang on. Halibut was never targeted until the salmon numbers started to decrease. The numbers of charters and sports boats on the water has more than trippled in the last 10 years. Now with declining stocks, increased effort and increased efficiency there is not enough fish in our share of the allocation.
There is a way to get more fish and it is through buying it. The commercial sports sector loves to spout off how much there fish is worth so lets get on with it. License the commercial sports fleet, let them buy quota and free up some of the 69% they use up for the average sporty.

IF we talk about the average sporty im sure he would be more than happy JUST TO be allowed to fish. morethan happy to be allowed one halibut a day just to be able to have the opportunity to catch a halibut. most of the sporties who are going out dont catch one for the first few trips anyway. they cherish the memory of their trip if succesful.or not.personally as a sportfisherman i would just like to see the season start or not just something definate happenwhois going to the salmon foundation dinner tonight?? i know i am.its at uvic sounds like lotsa fun. bennyannouncement at the dinner last night was march 1stfor halibut opening.

Thank you Wolf, however what I am trying to communicate is that halibut at the time (1979) was not a mainstream sport fishery. There may have been a few anglers who may have chased after them here and there, it however was not as big as some of you are trying pose. Honestly the SFAB and SFAC is the process that we all need to work with. By religiously attending SFAC in your region, relaying your concerns at these meetings is what will get noticed. Barking and complaining and planning events outside the process, will only shut an open door, it will get slammed tighter than a frogs butt in water. There is no room for distractions, stay focused on a resolve, make all of your ideas count, be smart and react on nothing with emotion, work towards a calm resolve. Today we have an open line of communication, with many, many people working diligently on the best possible solution. Mason

[www.savebcsalmon.ca]

I heard that same Mar 1st Hali opening news too at the Victoria Outdoor show this morning. Apparently, it came via the DFO RDG who advised the SFI president. So likely reliable.

But nothing on daily catch and possession limits nor (and this is the BIG ONE) when they plan to close us down.

God never did make a more calm, quiet, innocent recreation than angling - Izaak Walton

without a closure date announced, none of us should be happy.
daily catch limits and possession limits are another issue but without a closure date written in stone we are leaving ourselves hanging.
How would you like it if you booked a charter to a place like the charlottes for 5 day's and when you arrive, DFO closes it on you for the season...trust me...this could happen if we don't act now!

www.coastwidesportsfishing.com

Back