Halibut season length - any rumblings?

1-2 weeks extra is not a success we lost 2 weeks in march so 2 weeks after labour day puts our season at an identical length to last year.

I want to be on the pick in November.

1-2 weeks extra is not a success we lost 2 weeks in march so 2 weeks after labour day puts our season at an identical length to last year.

You're being optmistic about the weather anyway....:D

I deleted my post as I should refrain from popping off about when this might close.
My issues with the Halibut Management by DFO and others involved is much deeper than this thread.

Tips

Just have to wonder though what the catch was as of July 31 last year. Bet it was close. Almost all the rec caught halibut is caught in July and August. So if we were almost half way thru our allowed quota in July what's left at the end of Aug.?

???

I am not sure what you mean GDW when you say "1-2 weeks is not a success...etc.

What dfo is saying is the Halibut season will remain open til further notice.
The next meeting is not until Sept. 18 to review the catch data.
The season could well go on past that date...
or did I miss something??

this is from the original post from DFO

As a result, recreational fishing for halibut will continue under the current
regulations "until further notice"

The Committee’s next in-season meeting will be held September 18, 2013." An
update from that meeting will be provided later that week."

Fogged in somebody (maybe tips) suggested we would get a couple weeks after labour day that is what I was referring to. Post has been altered or deleted I think.

And Craven you and I fish the same waters we get lots of days in the fall and winter without wind I'm sure some good tides will be unfishable due to weather - same as summer - but we should get some good days too where it's flat, cold and maybe a little wet but fishable. It's not like we need to head to swiftsure to get em on the South Island you can halibut fish 10 minutes from just about any launch although most of the better places are a little further then that.

I don’t see the value to the Rec sector in continuing the season through the winter even if the quota would allow it. Far better to close it down mid Sept. and put that quota in the bank for when we are really going to need it. For various reasons people are not fishing Halibut much now in our area mostly to do with very good salmon fishing and few will want to anchor up later in bad later fall and winter weather, not to say a few diehards would not.

only about half the sport fishing quota has been caught season should run until all is caught and end in November with commercial season

It is certainly refreshing to be in a position to even have this discussion. There are lots of options. My conservative nature says it is not a bad idea to bank some quota for a rainy day while we continue to fight the injustice of a commercial type quota system being imposed on the sport sector at all, especially at only 15%. There is also the option to remove or modify the rather hated Halibut slot that seems to have caused a few to break solidarity and lease quota doing great harm to the entire sport sector. For example: we could remove the slot completely. allow one a year over, increase slot size etc). Then there is the annual limit issue from last year that negatively affects resident anglers who fish areas where they tend to catch a lot of small ones.

Well if there is sooooo much left Id say why isnt it open then in FEB 1 like it used to be when the tides are better and everyone is primed and ready to go fishing again, the fall fishery is so few fishing it compared to the spring and summer, AND I think we should be allowed to "carry quota" over JUST like the Commercial sector can!!!!!! for next year

I think we can carry quota over or we can lease it to a commie but do you really want to? Leasing is terrible because how can our sector lease quota and fight the lease system at the same time?

I think carry over is dangerouse too it gives the appearance we have sufficient quota if there is some left over how do you say we had 100,000 lbs left over last year now we want more. To an outsider it sounds unreasonable it sounds like the new regulations work because not only do we have a full season we have extra. Instead of saying our regs are cut and we still run out we need more your saying the regs changed it allowed for a near full season some guys had to release a big one but there was lots left over.

Use it or lose it guys ask any federal department if they try to carry their budget forward... If you don't use it its easy pickings for a cut hate to see it happen here well I guess it happens here every year regardless.

I'll ask again if so few guys fish the fall what's the reason not to have it open it won't use much poundage yet provide opportunity for everyone who chooses.

I'll ask again if so few guys fish the fall what's the reason not to have it open it won't use much poundage yet provide opportunity for everyone who chooses.

Part of the reason fewer guys are fishing is because hunting season kicks in and a lot of guys switch their efforts over.
personally I would like to see it remain open until Dec 31 or when the quota is used up.
give us back a regular Halibut season.

Carry over of quota is fine, just give us a longer season to catch it.
If we are unable to catch our quota in 365 days, maybe it is too much?
Don't get me wrong, I am all against recreational quota for individuals. Not so sure about the lodges and commercial guides.

Gong Show

Guess I am going to have to find a way to make use of my licence. As many other anglers, I have not killed a single halibut this year. I bet there's lots of us that have not had an opportunity to make use of the tiny TAC we are given.

Commies carry it over EVERY year thats why they can "lease" it to sporties system is flawed and we know it...
AND IM betting man I SAY IT WILL CLOSE EARLY YOU WATCH!!!!!!

Carry over what?? My understanding is that the Recreational Fishery has exceeded it's quota for the past few years - hence the early closures.

it looks to me that dfo has gotten the halibut fishery for sportsmen tuned up to what seems to be a reasonable fishery! if you haven't caught one yet its not their fault; still time to get one!

From the August 26 SFI News letter........

[FONT=&amp]"Tough Measures Pay Off[/FONT]
[FONT=&amp]As we head towards the Labour Day long weekend, we're pleased to report a rare bit of good news with respect to the halibut fishery in BC. Readers will recall that over the past several years, we've found ourselves in the unfortunate position where DFO closed the recreational halibut fishery over allocation (not conservation) concerns immediately following Labour Day. This approach to fisheries management had a significant impact coast wide and particularly on Southern Vancouver Island with lost fishing opportunities and business.[/FONT]

[FONT=&amp]Happily, DFO has just reported that as of July 31[SUP]st[/SUP], recreational anglers had only harvested half of our 1 million-pound allocation for this season. Based on past catch data and estimates of angler efforts expected through August, it seems very likely that we will have near a quarter million pounds of halibut left in our allocation following Labour Day, which should carry us through the fall. In fact, the recreational sector has never caught more than 100,000 pounds of halibut between September 1[SUP]st[/SUP] and December 31[SUP]st[/SUP], even when operating at more generous catch and possession limits.[/FONT]

[FONT=&amp]While we will need to review the catch data in detail over the fall and winter to get a better understanding of the impacts of new catch and possession limits, it seems clear that the measures have moderated the size and quantity of catch and should allow the public to keep fishing through the fall. To that end, we'd like to voice our thanks to the members of the SFAB halibut working group who devised and recommended this year's retention plan. [/FONT]

[FONT=&amp]DFO will review the catch data and provide a further update on September 18[SUP]th[/SUP].[/FONT]

[FONT=&amp]Until then, tight lines![/FONT]"

Back