Halibut rod recommendation?

Hi all, been reading up a lot and I've narrowed it down to some options.

Ugly Stick Tiger Lite ($75, great price, great value, but durability issues and the top guide digs into line over time)
St Croix Tiumph Salt ($140, but serious backbone issues, worse than the Trevalas)
Shimano Trevalas ($170, but not as much backbone as they should have, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MQPcenEz1iw)
St Croix Legend Salt (the best, lifetime warranty, but ridiculously over priced at $400)

Can you guys help me fill in the gaps here? Is there something that's better than the Ugly Stick, but under the Trevalas price of $170, that offers something closer to the quality of the St Croix? Thanks all.

PS. I'd like to use the rod for occasional salmon jigging so a lightweight rod with nice tip sensitivity would be a bonus.

Last edited by a moderator:
There is nothing wrong with the Tiger stick.. dont know where you got that info. Myself and my fishing partner both have the Ugly Stick and there have been NO durability issues. I would suggest that with an annual limit of 6 butts per year, the rod should last MANY years.

There is nothing wrong with the Tiger stick.. dont know where you got that info. Myself and my fishing partner both have the Ugly Stick and there have been NO durability issues. I would suggest that with an annual limit of 6 butts per year, the rod should last MANY years.

Wow I stand corrected. I mixed up the Ugly Sticks. The Tiger Lite uses "Fuji double-foot stainless steel guides with aluminum oxide inserts". This is actually pretty decent (St Croix uses the same guides in their Triumph series). Given the Tiger's price, this is a no brainer. This rod has got to be my first choice. Thanks for the information.

I second that don't let the price fool you... Those rods are strong..... Especially since you are starting out.. Never heard of guide problem on the rods..... Sounds like a story. Spend your money on a good anchor set-up, and other gear. You can always get better rods/reels later if needed.....

I always see some good start up set-ups on used vic from time to time... Go down to trotac in Vic, and take a look. Usually they have deals on some starter set-ups. Especially if your planning on two... Talk to Trevor or Paul. They also can talk to you about anchoring etc. They do a good job of trying to save guys from killing there self out there LOLOL

Good Luck. Sure you will have fun...

+1 on spending less on gear on more on the boat! However, I do want to buy right and not buy twice. But given that I know what the actual guides are now, the Tiger is a no-brainer. I recently tossed an Ugly Stick (cant remember the model, 7 footer), and it had the guide cutting issue (and this was with mono......., but it was a few years old). Braid line is pretty expensive. You dont want it to strip your braid by using crappy guides. Anyway, thanks all!

I agree w Osama about the Trevalas.. If you can spend at that price point..they are excellent and do double duty for tuna or sturgeon or??

I agree w Osama about the Trevalas.. If you can spend at that price point..they are excellent and do double duty for tuna or sturgeon or??

They look like great rods. I've never owned one, but the views on them are polarized in the forums. People either love them or hate them. Tiget Lite all the way for me! FYI:

[x4f_FclElsU] http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x4f_FclElsU

We have used just about every make and model. For jigging, I like the shakespere tidewater 5 1/2 ft. Its cheap, durable, and has just the right amount of stiffness and backbone to up your hooking percentage. If I'm fishing circle hooks, I use a 6 - 6 1/2ft rapala or shimano rod and leave it in the holder. The shorter / stiffer rod will hook more fish than a longer more flexible rod when working a jig!!

shimano technium 8' one piece, heavy action... fun rod......shimano tyrnos 16 reel..

I use Shimano Trevala's.
Super light and easy to handle.
Awesome rod never a problem.
Several fish over 100 pounds.
You dont need Marlin gear to catch Halis.
Lighter is better.

Back