Halibut Reports 2009 South Island

Sorry guys, i don't know how to make the pic go on this post, but i managed to get a link on anyways. That pic is my first hali, this past weekend.

Here ya go. got to go on your photobucket account under your picture where it says image code, you copy it and paste into the reply.
cheers

IMG_03801.jpg

JUST FISHEN'

Ya, my buddy really wanted to make sure we had no problems when that sucker came into his boat.The mark on the right of the fish was a botched gaff attempt. My buddy missed with the gaff cause the fish began to shake his head. In any case, it went pretty good for a first time dealing with a fish over 10 pounds.

Thanks Gypseas for helpin' me out with the pic posting.

Well the weather keeps changing but ive got the boat hooked up and hope this weather works out for tomm.. Tides r great and first chance to get out since opening..

That westerly was ugly went from glass calm to a nightmare in minutes,had a halli on at the time by the time we got it in we were rite in the middle of it made for a fun ride home.Then back at the dock we got a great water show hey Kelly.

WE also got caught in the eye of the storm heading back in, it just came up out of no where.IT was a great out there flat calm till about 3:eek:o managed a couple on the east side of Constance

quote:Originally posted by bananas

That westerly was ugly went from glass calm to a nightmare in minutes,had a halli on at the time by the time we got it in we were rite in the middle of it made for a fun ride home.Then back at the dock we got a great water show hey Kelly.

I was trying a new way to de-salt the bow. :D

Note to other mariners, having your buddy try to be helpfull and pull your boat farther into your slip then it should go and knocking the hose nozzle off the dock makes for a great geyser.

Last Chance Fishing Adventures

www.lastchancefishingadventures.com
www.swiftsurebank.com

1 around 30lbs today off conny and 2 good hits. All on herring.

Thinking about my 2 missed hits... I was wondering how tight does everyone set their drag while anchored up out off Vic/Sooke?

Should I have it fairly tight to set the hook if they grab it hard or have it loose enough so they can run with it?

quote:Originally posted by Trowser

Thinking about my 2 missed hits... I was wondering how tight does everyone set their drag while anchored up out off Vic/Sooke?

Should I have it fairly tight to set the hook if they grab it hard or have it loose enough so they can run with it?

make sure you have your thumb on the spool to stop the line when you set the hook, dont rely on the drag by itself...seen many hits missed that way..

quote:Originally posted by tyee hunter

make sure you have your thumb on the spool to stop the line when you set the hook, dont rely on the drag by itself...seen many hits missed that way..
Hey Tyee,

Thanks for the input. I'm all over the thumb on the spool but I'm more asking about the reel-drag setting while the rod is still in the holder, before I can even get to the rod (when the fish initially hits).

What a beautiful day out there today. We got our two (including a 75lbr) off the waterfront within an hour and a half this morning. They were both full of prawns. Thanks for the rods and tips Bananas.
IMG_2935.jpg

IMG_2937.jpg

Highliner

www.salmonboats.ca

Nice job Highliner.
We got 2 small ones yesterday. 25lb and 35lb. Anchor down at 9am anchor up at 10:30.
Both on white grubs.

Tips

Good job boys on some excellent fish...

IMG_1021-1.jpg

quote:Originally posted by tyee hunter

Hey Tyee,

Thanks for the input. I'm all over the thumb on the spool but I'm more asking about the reel-drag setting while the rod is still in the holder, before I can even get to the rod (when the fish initially hits).

ahh ok, on my boat i have the drag set somewhat firm...so that a decent pull can get line out but not so stiff that the fish cant run with it.
as far as when the fish hits...i have my guests pick the rod up asa soon as it starts "doing the dance" and be patient till the rod buckles...as soon as it does give it a solid set, thumb on spool, then reel till tight and follow up with a second. (circle hooks)..
hope that answers hte question

Back