Halibut Quota Ad removed from this site. Thank you!

Tips Up

I thought I would put up a new thread with a more positive heading to inform everyone that Admin of this site has removed the ad and offered the following response. (copied and pasted from the other thread)

"After much consideration and consultation with business enterprises in the sport fishing industry, we have decided to remove the ad regarding the brokerage of halibut quota. This decision, while taking longer than many of you may have liked, required a period of due diligence on our part. We respect the fact that it is everyone's right to choose sides on controversial positions like the 88/12 decision, and as stated earlier, we do not agree with the Federal Government’s allocation of the resource. However, we hope that you would also respect that it is a dangerous precedent for an advertising medium such as ours, to disallow someone with a contrary viewpoint their space in our publication, whether it is paid advertising or in our free forum. Free speech, as it turns out, sometimes comes with a price and today we have made a business decision to align ourselves with the many other businesses in the industry who, we discovered, are quietly putting their money and other resources into the fight against the quota.

We would like to personally thank our moderator, Last Chance, for his input and maintaining the forum in a professional manner. It isn't always easy but always appreciated.

In closing, we would like to ask that as always, please use this forum for what it is intended…a place to share ideas, information and express your opinions on a wide range of topics, provided of course the rules of the forum are applied. We have never censored anyone unless a post was slanderous, inappropriate, or extremely personal in its nature. This will be the last post we will make on this topic. We know you will carry on commenting on this topic and many others, and we respect and appreciate the passion, information, humour and camaraderie that you share on our forum.

Best Regards,
Peter and Brian"

I thank Peter and Brian for supporting us in our fight against this program and all that goes with it. As well as for handling this quickly and professionally.

Thanks!
Tips

Good call guys :cool:

Disagree fish4all. The essence of free speech is the meaningful and open expression your ideas in an effort to persuade others to your point of view. Free speech definitely prevailed here today. A unified group of sportsfishers convinced the powers that be to see things our way, and they in turn changed their behaviour. That is the best evidence of free speech there could be.

Plus, you are still here and welcome to disagree with the majority of us. So once again, a triumph for free speech.

Edit: Looks like Fish4all pulled his post. A third triumph for free speech I guess.

Last edited by a moderator:
After much consideration and consultation with business enterprises in the sport fishing industry, we have decided to remove the ad regarding the brokerage of halibut quota. This decision, while taking longer than many of you may have liked, required a period of due diligence on our part. We respect the fact that it is everyone's right to choose sides on controversial positions like the 88/12 decision, and as stated earlier, we do not agree with the Federal Government’s allocation of the resource. However, we hope that you would also respect that it is a dangerous precedent for an advertising medium such as ours, to disallow someone with a contrary viewpoint their space in our publication, whether it is paid advertising or in our free forum. Free speech, as it turns out, sometimes comes with a price and today we have made a business decision to align ourselves with the many other businesses in the industry who, we discovered, are quietly putting their money and other resources into the fight against the quota.

We would like to personally thank our moderator, Last Chance, for his input and maintaining the forum in a professional manner. It isn't always easy but always appreciated.

In closing, we would like to ask that as always, please use this forum for what it is intended…a place to share ideas, information and express your opinions on a wide range of topics, provided of course the rules of the forum are applied. We have never censored anyone unless a post was slanderous, inappropriate, or extremely personal in its nature. This will be the last post we will make on this topic. We know you will carry on commenting on this topic and many others, and we respect and appreciate the passion, information, humour and camaraderie that you share on our forum.

Best Regards,
Peter and Brian

Thank you gentlemen. Thank you very much! I would like to apologize for going off, but as you can tell this issue (Halibut Quota and or leasing of it) is very serious to me, and it really shook me to see the SFBC support it in any fashion. From my bias standpoint, I believe that you made the right decision by removing the ad.
THANK-YOU!

the value of the members at SFBC are officially worth more then $200/month. Its too bad a mass exodus was required to make them remove it instead of actually doing it because it was the right thing to do.

As Island Girl said "thank goodness.. back to fishing! " - what a soap opera that was.

Back to the regular stuff, thank you!

My IP is banned, so it truly doesn't matter what I say, but I totally recognize "Holmes" as a hero in making change; even though he and others continued to post after they all had said that they were gone. As I said earlier it is absolutely your actions that will make change and that are associated with the terms of your words. No one really listens until they see that you will do all that you say that you are going to do. Trust me, DFO is laughing at you all!

Ding Dong!

Peter, Brian, and Last chance,

I can respect the difficult position that you may have been placed in based on the reaction of forum members to the posting of the Halibut Quota add. As you are aware from many of my previous post I have walked the mile in your shoes in the publishing and advertising industries and I can appreciate that the issue was a lot more complex for you than just a matter of running an ad that others disagreed with. As much as I would like to go into detail in this post, I cannot for fear of giving ideas to unscrupulous individuals that may be monitoring the site. Suffice to say that any member that wants the details can PM me.

What I can say here is that knowing the position you were in, I have the utmost respect for you. I know that it took a lot to go against an advertiser, and it is about way more than the money. Taking the ad in the first place is what really caused the problem. You quoted one of my posts in your response to the forum members regarding being able to decline an advertiser and how rare those publications are. But by the same token, You do not see ads for Hustler and Playboy magazine subscriptions in Biblical publications. In this particular case, speaking from experience (and now your experience as well) it is far easier to decline an advertiser up front than it is to accept their ad and then reneg on the deal after the fact.

I will say it.

I love it on here.

As a new person to the coast (CR), a newbie saltwater fisherman, and semi-newbie boater, I have made more friends, enjoyed more people and conversations, and learned more about fishing and boating since becoming a member of this site, than I had in the ten years before. Even though I have never met most of the members on the site I feel like they are either older or younger brothers, all anxious to either teach or learn, or both. I have read members pour out their hearts about the loss of a friend or family pet, the end of a marriage, and the Blackhawks getting stomped by the Canucks.

As several other members have posted, this has become my second home. And the people here have become family.

So thank-you for standing up for your forum members, Sport fishermen from across this country, and against a system that is critically flawed and in Dire need of revision.

Salute.

fish4all is a joke anyway, totally contradictive handle considering his viewpoint,lmao....holmes*

So where was the debauchee during the scandle making a deposit from his Hali Quota in the Caymans.
Hard to sweep the dirt under the rug with this crew on board...good job everyone thanx for sticking to your guns...sammy

Back