Halibut opening

scott craven

On the weekend looks like a small window of opportunity on south island.
If I'm reading the table correctly the morning from 7-9am looks ok
and then the ebb gets going @ 2-3 knots through mid day.
Later in the afternoon it softens up again.
Who's fishing ?

Ill be out there out of Victoria craven Friday Saturday and with luck Sunday :D.

Unless the God Damn Wind changes my plans. Your correct very small windows this weekend. These past two days would have been good.

How do you know they were halibut fishing? Maybe they were dog fishing... Or skate fishing... Or octopus fishing?

Just playing devils advocate I know as well as you that is what they were doing. But say I actually wanted to catch a skate. I'd fish for them the same way and same locations as i would for halibut. Wouldn't you?

No, you will find skates on a more muddy bottom....in our area at least.

When i start getting them i shorten up my drift if i'm not anchored

That's hilarious
Good luck with all the enforcement this summer
This halibut issue is the biggest joke I've ever seen with regards to our coastal fisheries.
Cannot believe we continue to tell DFO that we can most certainly work within our recreational TAC.
Every single time we accept something....we can never go back.

But Chad, there are 2 whole enforcement officers for Nanaimo to Port Hardy including WCVI, they will have NO problem enforcing it all summer... :p

Oh andddd remember, sfab said its a one year "experiment", we'll have no size limits next year ;) ... even though sfab themselves predicts lower tac next year...it will all be ok...

What's the point of breaking the regs and keeping a big fish? You can't brag about it - you can't weight it - you can't show it off at the dock or get your picture taken with it... I think I'll let a big one go can't see any reason to keep it. Need the meat? No I don't who does need that much? The reason to keep em before was mostly bragging rights now that's gone so... Why break the reg? I think most guys will put them back - not all but most.

^^^ lol That is actually the reality of the situation. The amount that cutbacks have been in enforcement is staggering and really cripples their ability to enforce any of these laws they put through. Unfortunately there will always be people that take advantage of this.

It was done on the Fraser and DFO chickened out.
NEVER assume. DFO is the government that is there at the permission of the people.

lol - something about all bark and no bite comes to mind. Although I'd love to see someone challenge DFO, we all know nobody is going to do this.

Holmes stop repeating your nonsense and let people start talking about fishing. This winters been to long.

Last edited by a moderator:
LMFAO, okie dokie, did i prevent someone from talking about fishing?, did i censor someone?, did i tell someone to stfu?, dont believe i did, but thanks for your concern, i'll say what i want when i want....:rolleyes:.....i too will be going hali fishing, hope to catch a big one out there, also may have already been out hali fishing.....;)...holmes*

Post all you like about fishing but stop posting your politics rant in a thread about fishing. This sites seen more than enough already.

Go fishing have fun and cool down and call it that think what you want but be careful about what you say on here its not only us that read this.....
some "others" monitor this as well and for people to blatantly say some stuff in here be it double handed is NOT helping our cause.... so go back to chatting about fishing and having fun what fishing is supposed to be....

Back