Halibut Open March 1

I don't have a problem paying any amount more for my fishing license. Hell if we paid a $100 a year I think it would still be a bargain, BUT I sure as would hell mind if it went to the slipper skippers for something that legally is not there's to begin with. DFO if they did charge more would just do more stupid things with it anyway. Maybe if they had some more money they could blow up some more dams, cut back on some more hatcheries, hell maybe even some more studies on how to screw up the fishery even more.
Still think that you should have to record everything you catch on your license. Salmon,halibut,ling cod, rock cod, crabs,prawns. Area caught, size, date. Then at the end of the season you turn in your old license to receive your new license. That way there is a TRUE number of what is caught, where and when and it should also be made pubic so we all know what is really happening. None of this DFO ******** numbers and made up facts.

I don't like the idea of buying back something that should already be ours, but that's the way it will end up being, there's no way we are going to be giving what we deserve by DFO, only way is through money...money rules the world unfortunately. I wasn't saying I agree with the premise of the idea, but its by far the most realistic way to get our full seasons back.

So if money is the solution why not just get 30 million dollars from the good folks here.
We could then buy 1 million pounds, at 30 per pound, from the slipper skippers.
We would then have our season back.

Wait a minute if I had that kind of dough I would be going to the courts and fixing the problem.
GLG

I think it'll be a Sept 1st closure. With that being said, we really need to be asking ourselves why DFO doesn't do what is the most simple to fix the allocation mess...add a few dollars to every saltwater license and use the funds from this to buy back quota from the commercial sector...so simple, so easy. Compare the price of a saltwater license to that of a freshwater...I know I wouldn't mind a $5 or even $10 increase in the price of a license if the proceeds went to buy back quota...do this over, say 4 or 5 years and we could be at 20-25% (didn't do the math but if someone wants to go for it)...and commercial guys get their money...I'd say most would be pretty happy. There's obviously another plan in place for the rec/guided sector if they aren't taking the path of easiest resistance and just common sense...

How about a $1000 yearly surcharge for guiding outfits to go to buy the allocation that they catch and make $$$ from. Last approximation was about 70% of sport caught halis were guided. It is not locals who are causing the catch pressure on the Hali resource it is the lodges and guides. We are in a user pay economy now so the user should pay rather than keep expecting to get another welfare handout from DFO. Sports allocation went from 12% to 15%. That is a 25% increase in percentage allocation and guides are still complaining.

How about a $1000 yearly surcharge for guiding outfits to go to buy the allocation that they catch and make $$$ from. Last approximation was about 70% of sport caught halis were guided. It is not locals who are causing the catch pressure on the Hali resource it is the lodges and guides. We are in a user pay economy now so the user should pay rather than keep expecting to get another welfare handout from DFO. Sports allocation went from 12% to 15%. That is a 25% increase in percentage allocation and guides are still complaining.

I have to disagree with you here.

The people catching the halibut on guided trips are individuals, not the charter company. The guides are providing an opportunity to someone who otherwise wouldn't have the chance to fish for halibut.

BT

A) Like Business Time said, it's not us who are catching them but the individuals on our boats, B) If it was your livelihood pretty sure you'd be complaining as well... (60% is attributed to guides and charters...) $5 or $10 is a much smaller dent in someone's pocket than $1000 as you suggest, should be following a utilitarianism aspect for this. Licenses are dirt cheap compared to many other places as well.

Last edited by a moderator:
Onefish your thinking the way you do you best ask planes,trains,taxis, and buses to pay as well!!!!!! as guides we are a venue for people to go out on a boat.We are a mode of transportation just like the above and YES to go get 1 or 2 halibut but in doing that that 1 person has just spent $$$$$1000 to that right which they bought a licence just like you have, to get the PRIVILEGE TO GO FISHING .
Some people take lot way more than they should (some one who got a fine for 18 of them in a boat comes to mind) and you all know it. years ago I wrote about one such individual who bragged to me take he took a LOT way over 50 in a year!!!!!

Easy way to reduce the number put a limit on them why not???? you know why cause then they would have to work and maybe enforce the laws and accually put people on the waters/docks checking people what a concept!!!!!!!

Wolf

Last edited by a moderator:
Back