Halibut Open March 1

woodsnose

It's official Halibut will be open March 1, 2012 till further notice:)

Attachments

• RecreationalHalibutopening.pdf
    19.5 KB · Views: 114
going-back-in-time-back-to-the-future-repost.jpg

fitted.jpg

Where did you hear this? Please post the source.

For Immediate Release

DFO ESTABLISHES SHORTEST HALIBUT SEASON IN CANADIAN HISTORY

VANCOUVER, B.C. -Today's changes to the recreational halibut fishery, will ensure that in 2012, recreational anglers will experience the shortest halibut fishing season in memory, said Sport Fishing Institute of BC President Robert Alcock. "Minister Ashfield closed the recreational halibut fishing on September 5th last year and caused extensive economic damage to the sport fishing industry", said Alcock. "Today he served notice that recreational halibut fishing will end in the first week of August, which will wreak havoc in the sport fishing industry and which will not conserve a single fish."

Ashfield announced that he will not accept the unanimous recommendation of Canada's 300,000 recreational anglers and create a "fixed number' fishery that would allow recreational anglers to enjoy a predictable fishery during periods of low halibut abundance. Instead, Ashfield simply tinkered with the flawed allocation system established in 2003 which will ensure that Canada's 436 commercial halibut quota holders can continue to harvest 85% of Canada's sustainable Total Allowable Catch (TAC). The TAC is established annually by the International Pacific Halibut Commission and the amount of halibut that Canada and the US can harvest without endangering the long-term stability of halibut stocks.

During the 2011 election, Prime Minister Stephen Harper told Island residents that "Our government recognizes the importance of the halibut fishery in BC. The jobs and regional economic impact of the commercial, recreational and related tourism in BC are substantial. We remain committed to finding a solution to BC's halibut allocation issue in advance of the 2012 season that strikes a fair balance between all sectors."

"Recreational halibut fishers took the Prime Minister at his word," said Alcock. "Sadly, today we have learned the hard way that the Prime Minister's word is of little value, particularly to the hundreds of businesses, thousands of sport fishing industry employees and the hundred thousand Canadians who enjoy recreational halibut fishing."

According to a recent study conducted for the BC Seafood Alliance (the commercial sector's industry association), the recreational fishery in BC produces $642 million in annual sales, pays $150 million in wages and benefits, creates more than 7,800 jobs and 3,950 person-years of employment and contributes $240 million to the province's Gross Domestic Product.

For more information please contact

Robert Alcock
President
Sport Fishing Institute of British Columbia

or visit www.sportfishing.bc.ca.

Is that quote from Alcock or the Fisheries Minister? I can not find that quote or any other info stating this besides this release. Just tying to get clarification on this and where came from.

Thanks

I have read that, was emailed to me when it first came out. Just doesnt say the Minister said that. "He served notice that it would end in the first week of August". Where is that notice? Or is this just speculation based on numbers this year compared to last year?

That's what I thought. So based on the vodo stats that's all. Really cant see them shutting us down first week of August. Guess time will tell.

I have read that, was emailed to me when it first came out. Just doesnt say the Minister said that. "He served notice that it would end in the first week of August". Where is that notice? Or is this just speculation based on numbers this year compared to last year?

nothing is writen in stone

Just think it's is a bad choice of words that's all. Assume all you want but to state something like that when really nobody knows when it is going to close may not be the best idea. Could really affect a lot of people's decisions when making their plans this year as to where to go and when, when it could stay open into Sept.

The math suggest that it will close in early August.
Unless DFO lets us go past our allocation.

Given possession limit is now two and season is beginning a month early, I'm predicting closure at midnight Sept 4. End of summer, lodges closing.

I am thinking the same thing. Just find it hard to believe that DFo will shut it down with a full month of prime fishing left. We went over last year and they let it stay open, and now seeing that they can take back quota with a swipe of a pen I don't see it happening. Hope not anyways!

I think it'll be a Sept 1st closure. With that being said, we really need to be asking ourselves why DFO doesn't do what is the most simple to fix the allocation mess...add a few dollars to every saltwater license and use the funds from this to buy back quota from the commercial sector...so simple, so easy. Compare the price of a saltwater license to that of a freshwater...I know I wouldn't mind a $5 or even $10 increase in the price of a license if the proceeds went to buy back quota...do this over, say 4 or 5 years and we could be at 20-25% (didn't do the math but if someone wants to go for it)...and commercial guys get their money...I'd say most would be pretty happy. There's obviously another plan in place for the rec/guided sector if they aren't taking the path of easiest resistance and just common sense...

Two problems to that idea... going from memory on this.
First we would be buy'ing something we already own according to the goverment bean counters.
Second the "user fee act" forbids new funds to be used like that.
GLG

I think it'll be a Sept 1st closure. With that being said, we really need to be asking ourselves why DFO doesn't do what is the most simple to fix the allocation mess...add a few dollars to every saltwater license and use the funds from this to buy back quota from the commercial sector...so simple, so easy. Compare the price of a saltwater license to that of a freshwater...I know I wouldn't mind a $5 or even $10 increase in the price of a license if the proceeds went to buy back quota...do this over, say 4 or 5 years and we could be at 20-25% (didn't do the math but if someone wants to go for it)...and commercial guys get their money...I'd say most would be pretty happy. There's obviously another plan in place for the rec/guided sector if they aren't taking the path of easiest resistance and just common sense...

x2 on that

b55 i agree with your closing date but not sure bout your facts, the possession limit has been 2 for a few years now and the season is opening a month later not a month earlier. ( it's opening the same as last year but should open feb 1)

Again, the government took back 3% from the commrical sector this winter and gave it to the rec sector with no monies being exchanged from what I understand. What's to say they can't do it again this summer to keep it open for the rec sector. I see no need in charging anyone more money to catch fish that is rightfully ours in the first place.

Back