Halibut Notice

Status
Not open for further replies.
Agreed - I don't need to fish (and I expect many are with me) in OCT - DEC as I stated above.

That's 3 months of a 9 month season i.e. 1/3. In other words, the effective TAC was decreased by 1/3 to accomodate the season extension consideration.

There is no way that is correct. DFO estimates (for what they are worth) are based upon effort and catch per unit of effort. Oct-Dec will be very low effort and therefore have little effect on the TAC when compared to April through September.

So you're happy with this outcome? If so, I feel sorry for you having to justify your actions. Give your head a shake.

This is a huge LOSS to the sport fishing community. If you consider this a WIN I would love to understand your reasons.

Usually in a negotiation (which this is) you have some "gives" and some reserved, last resort, on the table concessions. It appears that the SFAB let the cat fully out of the bag right away and DFO grabbed it and ran (as they should), laughing all the way to Ottawa. Big money (read Jimmy and Co.) is happy so they can do no wrong.
Learn to read SD. You have attempted to put words in my response that you have nothing to base upon. I made NO opinion on ANY of the comments or the outcome of the meetings. All I did was confirm to Fishtofino that the whining and crying began 1 minute after his post. Perhaps it is YOU who should shake his head and try to retort based on what you actually read and not what you decide you want to hear from my post.

By the way, the whining has continued in your 2nd post. Don't like the outcome? Then step up to the plate Big Talker, Walk the walk and actually become involved. Bitching about the work of others who volunteer is like bitching about an election you didn't vote in. Its nothing more than whining and crying.

Whats the reasoning behind the 1/2 if there is a 6/year limit?

As I understand it the sport fishing Lodge Industry fought to maintain 1 a day and 2 in possession because if you are in the business of selling over night tourism fishing packages at a lodge you want your clients to be able to fish for and keep two Halibut and take them home. They were afraid of restrictions going to 1 and 1 and therefore other options became preferable including the maximize size limit. Very low annual limits also serves the financial interests of the guide sector because their clients in general will not use more than that per year; whereas local resident anglers may. Local resident anglers (the vast majority of the salt water angling community) would benefit from 1 and 1 because it does not affect them as you are never in possession of a 2nd Halibut, having taken your daily catch home.

Make no mistake, the SFAB recommendation process is ultimately about money and it is ‘small p’ politics. When you are making decisions which affect someone’s living or passion, emotions are going to run high because there will be winners and losers resulting from those decisions. This is at the core of the internal conflict evident on this forum concerning Halibut.

Rock, I was thinking more for the people that only get out once a year. For one or two days. If it was 2/3 I think more people would get back on to support guides rather than ditching it all together which there seems to be the sentiment regarding... After all the are allowed 6

Last edited by a moderator:
Learn to read SD. You have attempted to put words in my response that you have nothing to base upon. I made NO opinion on ANY of the comments or the outcome of the meetings. All I did was confirm to Fishtofino that the whining and crying began 1 minute after his post. Perhaps it is YOU who should shake his head and try to retort based on what you actually read and not what you decide you want to hear from my post.

By the way, the whining has continued in your 2nd post. Don't like the outcome? Then step up to the plate Big Talker, Walk the walk and actually become involved. Bitching about the work of others who volunteer is like bitching about an election you didn't vote in. Its nothing more than whining and crying.

Thanks for that constructive post - I love it when people call me a whiner and big talker, this exemplifies maturity.

Good, Bad, Right, or Wrong we are faced with the 1st post restrictions on Halibut. It appears that a few people (including yourself?) support this and I'm very curious why that is.

Wow! Get out the waders, its getting deep! Its time to get Bags take on this!

At least there should be lots of room at your spot this year ;)

There is no way that is correct. DFO estimates (for what they are worth) are based upon effort and catch per unit of effort. Oct-Dec will be very low effort and therefore have little effect on the TAC when compared to April through September.

My bad if that IS true - however, with that in mind, then the 60lb slot limit should do nothing to extend the season? OR, does this bring the average fish weight in the model down for the April - Sept period?

My bad if that IS true - however, with that in mind, then the 60lb slot limit should do nothing to extend the season? OR, does this bring the average fish weight in the model down for the April - Sept period?
Yes, it brings down the modeled average weight during the prime time thereby allowing the season to be longer. It's the reason why this proposal was enacted as many would rather have a longer season. Even from afar, to watch people on this thread call the SFAB volunteers out as "sell-outs", is nothing short of pathetic. Smaller and/or fewer fish per person were the only options to get a long season out of a reduced TAC - period.

Well, I just got back from the grocery store and was surprised to see no halibut advertised as local and *fresh*. That's just one store though. On the other side of the coin, half a sockeye was on the shelf advertised as local and fresh for 25$. That has to be previously frozen I would think? I wonder how many stores defrost their last years fish right after season opening, and false advertise. I'm sure it happens.

Well, I just got back from the grocery store and was surprised to see no halibut advertised as local and *fresh*. That's just one store though. On the other side of the coin, half a sockeye was on the shelf advertised as local and fresh for 25$. That has to be previously frozen I would think? I wonder how many stores defrost their last years fish right after season opening, and false advertise. I'm sure it happens.

That's funny you should say that. I just got back from Superstore and they were selling a whole sockeye with head off for about 20 bucks. I picked it up and it was a Pink!! I said to the lady running the seafood counter "This is a funny looking sockeye, never seen one with spots on it's tail and a hump back."

If you see any FRESH LOCAL halibut for sale , call the fish cops as it will be illegal..... season is closed !!!
and if you see FRESH LOCAL sockeye , hehehe, call me as i want to see the miracle.

That's funny you should say that. I just got back from Superstore and they were selling a whole sockeye with head off for about 20 bucks. I picked it up and it was a Pink!! I said to the lady running the seafood counter "This is a funny looking sockeye, never seen one with spots on it's tail and a hump back."

Are you sure it said sockeye? $20 for pink? $20 for frozen sockeye is not a good deal even. Superstore is probably one of the worst offenders. I love it when they sell "local fresh pink" on the non-pink year.

Anyway, back to halibut. I don't care who suggested it or for what noble purpose; a slot size for halibut is a stupid, dumb idea.

This early two week opening reminds of derby deadliest catch style before every boat had a quota Coast wide full contact Commercial Roe herring openings.Dog eat dog, risk your life,get em while you can, DFO sanctioned openings.More than a few guys never came home alive.

No easy answer here other than be safe. kronic

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey guys, i was planning on getting into halibut fishing this year, can anyone tell me roughly how big these slot size fish would be? Im not very familiar with halibut lengths and estimated weight? Maybe its not even worth my time getting a halibut anchor setup and trying it out this year, thanks

Sudsy

Hey guys, i was planning on getting into halibut fishing this year, can anyone tell me roughly how big these slot size fish would be? Im not very familiar with halibut lengths and estimated weight? Maybe its not even worth my time getting a halibut anchor setup and trying it out this year, thanks

Sudsy

might as well just drag for chickens on the banks....

my three buds that usually book with me for may long have already cancelled due to this slot *****.

As previously stated the SFAB was faced with making a very unpopular decision.
In order to work with a smaller TAC they were faced with having a very short season
or additional restrictions and a regular season.
Either way, they are screwed because they can't make everybody happy.

I think you have to put yourself in their shoes and realize they did the best they
could with the options available.

Well said Craven. Can't please everyone.

Although, I think if I was in their shoes, I probably would have refused to vote on any of the options. I think what they should have been advising DFO about the huge economic value of a FAIR use of the resource. But, we all know how that would have turned out.........

Yes, it brings down the modeled average weight during the prime time thereby allowing the season to be longer. It's the reason why this proposal was enacted as many would rather have a longer season. Even from afar, to watch people on this thread call the SFAB volunteers out as "sell-outs", is nothing short of pathetic. Smaller and/or fewer fish per person were the only options to get a long season out of a reduced TAC - period.

That said, if the modelled average weight is reduced to increase the season length (inverse relationship) then why not realize that having a 126cm slot limit is ..... (Insert you characterization or favourite expletive) and accept an April to Sept season? Hell, even April to August.

What were the input parameters for the two week (month in 23, 123, 121) any size opening?

If the 1/2 limit is retained and only one over 83cm then this seems like the best solution for all. Guides will still be able to offer the proverbial big Hali quest opportunities and we don't have to fiddle fart around with large fish at the side of the boat.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back