Halibut issue

is it really even a public fishery at this point?, or is 12% of it public?.....holmes*

As a signed & licensed rec angler, you are participating in a shared resource fishery. "shared" not common.

There is no way that a system as you describe, double trouble, can function and it's therefore not even worth pursuing.

I completly disagree. Put some effort in and develop it the way you want it to work. Learn a little about the benefit of quotas, predictable season dates, catch. As a guide I dont understand why you would not want a quota. It has more value then your boat, if they broke up the 12% shared it among guides that have history, and then during years of low abundance there was leasing if necessary your seasons would be 95% predictable. Not to mention that at the end you would have something worth selling not just a old boat. Yeah I know you all hate that idea but it is better then how it is working at the moment.

Lets not lose focus of what we are trying to accomplish here..........it ain't working now and putting a band-aid on a festering wound only makes it stink worse as time goes by.....no interested in short term band-aid solutions ....long term solution is the ONLY WAY to fix this mess.....80/20 or better full season, realistic possession limits...anything less wont work....end of story

I completly disagree. Put some effort in and develop it the way you want it to work. Learn a little about the benefit of quotas, predictable season dates, catch. As a guide I dont understand why you would not want a quota. It has more value then your boat, if they broke up the 12% shared it among guides that have history, and then during years of low abundance there was leasing if necessary your seasons would be 95% predictable. Not to mention that at the end you would have something worth selling not just a old boat. Yeah I know you all hate that idea but it is better then how it is working at the moment.

Hi Fisher 69
If the 12% were divided amongst guides what would be left for non guiding sports fishers such as myself?

Lets not lose focus of what we are trying to accomplish here..........it ain't working now and putting a band-aid on a festering wound only makes it stink worse as time goes by.....no interested in short term band-aid solutions ....long term solution is the ONLY WAY to fix this mess.....80/20 or better full season, realistic possession limits...anything less wont work....end of story

so if you go to 80/20 and we take a hit like sitka just did we are right back to square 1.The system needs to be flexiible as we have no idea what the stocks will do in the future. 80/20 is a bandaid and nothing more. Personally I hope the stocks start to rebound and we can get back up to higher limits, but after attending the iphc and seeing what has happened to the north of us I would not bet on it. BC gets a good portion of it's fish from our neighbours to the north and all those areas just got sh*t kicked.

Hi Fisher 69
If the 12% were divided amongst guides what would be left for non guiding sports fishers such as myself?

If the lodge an guide sector are already taking 65% of the catch then work the numbers so there is enough for the local angler.

It's time to start to think outside the box. There are workable solutions for times of low abundance and we need to develop them.

If the lodge an guide sector are already taking 65% of the catch then work the numbers so there is enough for the local angler.

It's time to start to think outside the box. There are workable solutions for times of low abundance and we need to develop them.

The bottem line is that 12% of Canada's total halibut allocation has never been enough to support a vibrant and successful recreational fishery.It s time for the government to recognize the importance of this sector to coastal comminities,bussiness,and average Canadian families across BC and Canada.

For 7 years we have been trying to work out what is called a "workable solutions" and it always came to the same end-"Not workable for the Sport Fishing community"

" Why should the taxing paying Canadians have to pay individual Quota holders for access to a Canadian owned property?

DD, its still a "common property" resource, that is "shared" amongst all Canadian fishing sectors, no?.....holmes*

Under license there are statutes and acts that apply that are different than common. Sport and commercial are shared, FN is shared when under license.

The bottem line is that 12% of Canada's total halibut allocation has never been enough to support a vibrant and successful recreational fishery.It s time for the government to recognize the importance of this sector to coastal comminities,bussiness,and average Canadian families across BC and Canada.

For 7 years we have been trying to work out what is called a "workable solutions" and it always came to the same end-"Not workable for the Sport Fishing community"

" Why should the taxing paying Canadians have to pay individual Quota holders for access to a Canadian owned property?

no 12% was more than enough when we had a tac of 11mill lbs. so much that the rec sector could not catch it's fish and leased it back to the commies.

Perhaps the sports community should put some new people forward and work on solutions from a fresh perspective.

The days of the wild west and free for all fisheries are coming to an end. As we try to maximize opportunities we need to get a much better handle on what is being caungt. It's time to clean the fishery up. Get rid of the yanks that come here with boats full of fuel and groceries that stay for the summer, contibute very little, and ship fish home and abuse the system. Time to stop the Albertans in the north that are sending back freezers filled. Time to stop the guys that are catching 30-40 hali a year and trading it or selling it. There is enough fish to go around but it is time to start to do our part.

If canadians want to come out and sportsfish that is one thing. If they are being led to believe that they can fill the freezers at home that is an entirely different scenario.

Why should canadians have to pay for gas when we have one of the biggest reserves in the world in our own back yard?

Last edited by a moderator:
O'Boy here we go again-Should I pull my quote book out & we start to shoot quotes and stat's back and forth?

Where involved in the process the last 7 years? Always open to new perspective ;)

The commercial lodge & guides angle doesn't work-Just goes back to one person having to pay a quota holder "who actually doesn't own that property" the right to access a Canadian TAC.

Last edited by a moderator:
Just got the following email request.

tom. we are being lobbied in ottawa by cummins. duncan and kamp. they are saying wrongly there is a conservation concern. also they want 3 divisions . commercial . sport commmercial and recreational. they are not saying who would pay for quota for sport commercial. we need to jam duncans island office with angry sport guys and also picket cummins office in delta.new westminster. get this on the electronic highway for me .

tom. we are being lobbied in ottawa by cummins. duncan and kamp. they are saying wrongly there is a conservation concern. also they want 3 divisions . commercial . sport commmercial and recreational. they are not saying who would pay for quota for sport commercial. we need to jam duncans island office with angry sport guys and also picket cummins office in delta.new westminster. get this on the electronic highway for me .

Yes let it rip boys

Wow...................

If only there was a way to get the working commies playing this side?

Wouldn't DFO make more $$ leasing directly to the working guys.... Even after they buy out the slippers?

..........Politics are stupid

I smell another Rally! Only difference is this time we ring the Legislature with our boats and lock it down. If Ottawa won't give the Rec-Sector the respect and allocation of our resource that we deserve - that we ALREADY PAY FOR - then we must get the Province on board to stand-up for us!

PECKERHEADS!

Option #2: Send a massive caravan of trailer boats to Ottawa.

Wow...................

If only there was a way to get the working commies playing this side?

Wouldn't DFO make more $$ leasing directly to the working guys.... Even after they buy out the slippers?

..........Politics are stupid

perhaps if someone tried to sit with the working commies....... oh yeah the 3 commie reps at both the stanier process and the gordon processs were active fishermen, that all bought quota. Across the table was a lodge operator, a tackle supplier, a previous rep for lodges, and 1 independant angler who was way out numbered and didn't say much.

Perhaps it would work this time? But in all the processes that were conducted todate -7 years worth, it did not? Are you saying perhaps the "non working halibut industry" (Slipper Skippers) would be willing to move off their current position of We own it & you have to pay for it?

I'm all ears . :)

perhaps if someone tried to sit with the working commies....... oh yeah the 3 commie reps at both the stanier process and the gordon processs were active fishermen, that all bought quota. Across the table was a lodge operator, a tackle supplier, a previous rep for lodges, and 1 independant angler who was way out numbered and didn't say much.

The process failed as the commies said they were not going to move, period.
They are the reason that the 88/12 is in place and they are/were upset as they did not get it to 8%.

The commies are not interested in solving this and if you think they are you need to give your head a shake.

This will be all about Ottawa as the decision is going to be made there.

Just got this from Island Outfitters

We have learned that TODAY is the final day to make a difference.

ACTION.....
No More letter today.

WE NEED TO FLOOD LOCAL MP OFFICES WITH PHONE CALLS..

Phone calls from local anglers, tackle shops, lodges, guides, etc..

Flood the offices have just been advised that a full court press province wide has to happen to day. TODAY.

It has been characterized as if today is the last day to make a difference...

First Nations have issued a press release against change in allocation, a hefty one.

I have secured the A channel news for 1pm today. (they are not a big station). Clyde is making the trip down

We have to PRESS HARD today...

GET THE NEWS OUT AS FAST AS YOU CAN!!!!

PRESS THE CONSERVATIVES HARD

Before jumping to instant conclusions, there maybe more to this direction than meets the eye. It maybe time to look at all options and start building relationships and solutions that work for all, rather than enemies and short term patches. Start working on the things that you do want rather than the ones you don't. Just saying review it before you say screw it!

Back