Halibut fishing today

Ouch!!

Dave S, where exactly in my post do I state I'm into breaking the rules, lying or encouraging that sort of thing?

My intent, and sorry if it didn't come across this way, was to point out how ridiculous the slot possession limit is from all angles. I've posted many detailed posts about the fishery science and fishery management shortcomings of the possession slot and this was intended to be on that theme - there are severe limitations to enforcing a size limit that only applies to your possession fish not the one you caught today (necessarily).

Would hope fellow fishermen would give each other the benefit of the doubt and at least seek clarification before posting allegations. But, it's an open forum and everyone's entitled to their opinion.

Hey UkeeDreamin, I think I took your post out of context. I'm sorry for that. I thought you were implying that fisherman should disregard the rules and just keep their catch in vehicle and refuse a search from FO and/or telling officers that you were gifted a fish so it can't count as your slot limit fish. I guess I was reading it wrong and I reacted wrong too. Sorry man.

excellent link river rat.
Pretty clear cut as to what your rights are in a search. From personal experience you can get a lot further with sugar than salt.
I can deal with the hassle of inspection if thats what it takes to curb the poachers out there. If you feel the need to fish illegally, then dont feel that your rights have been violated in the event of an inspection.
Or you can just put your illegally caught fish underneath a pile of dildos and unravelled condoms in your cuddy. Two guys and a boat full of sex toys??

I think I just puked a little....

Hey, just wondering... what about the REST of the "law"? :eek:

Unlawful Actions
It is illegal to:
  • possess any fish caught while sport fishing that is dressed or packed in a manner so that the species cannot be easily identified, measured where size limits are applicable, is of hatchery origin where hatchery salmon are allowed, and the number of fish readily counted where quotas are applicable. This includes removing the carapace, or shell, from any crab — see Packaging and Transporting Your Catch.
Penalties for contravention of the British Columbia Sport Fishing Regulations include voluntary ticket payments up to $1,000 and possible seizure and forfeiture of fishing gear and catch, or court-imposed fines up to $100,000 on first offence and possible court-imposed forfeiture of fishing gear, catch, vessel or other equipment used in the commission of an offence. Licences may also be suspended or cancelled.

You and the Law
The British Columbia Sport Fish Packaging Guidelines are intended for general information purposes only. Where there is a discrepancy between these guidelines and the Fisheries Act and its regulations, the Fisheries Act and the regulations are the final authority.

Regulations are subject to change from time to time and it is the responsibility of an individual to be informed of the current regulations. If you have any questions concerning changes to the regulations contact your local DFO office.

The Law
Section 36 of the Fishery (General) Regulations states:

Identify, Count, Weigh and Measure Fish
36. (1) No person shall possess fish that were caught by any person while fishing for recreational or sport purposes and that have been skinned, cut, packed or otherwise dealt with in such a manner that:
(a) the species cannot be readily determined;
(b) the number of fish cannot be readily determined;
(c) where weight is used to determine catch limits, the weight of the fish cannot be readily determined; and
(d) where size limits are applicable, the size of the fish cannot be readily determined.

Your catch may be checked and inspected by either federal or provincial enforcement authorities. Failure to comply with the Fisheries Act and its regulations may result in prosecution. Enforcement authorities must be able to readily determine the species, number, and if applicable, the size and weight of the fish caught, while in transport or at a location other than your ordinary residence.

It is your responsibility to ensure the species, number, size and weight of your catch can be readily determined.

I personally am kinda thinking it is very clear? You might want to reconsider fileting any fish, and now especially a halibut where a size & weight limit applies and if you do decide to... I surely would be carrying that interpatation in writing from DFO? If checked, that just might be an example DFO will use to prove their point. Just IMHO.

You can fillet ling cod! The fillets must be a certain size! Most likely this will be the new reg! One whole size,one filleted size!

WARNING WARNING WARNING!!! DFO enforcement can and may give you a ticket for a salmon sandwich if the officers discretion wills them to! If you are insubordinate and are in possession of fish mater that is unidentifiable for species, length of quantity that is an infraction. Best to be as polite as possible when inspected or you will possibly pay.

Back