Halibut "Experimental" program waste of DFO money,

^^^^^ agreed. THere was only a small group of us, but we were REALLY LOUD. Take you experimental license and shove it.

THe whole purpose of this dog and pony show is to get feedback. Please, if you live any of these places they are visiting, attend this meeting and be heard.

I think by nobody showing we are being heard, showing them what we think of the program. How can they go back to their bosses and say the meetings were a success if nobody shows? Not sure what the plan is for us here in Hardy tonight. Will let everyone know tonight.

I wish that was the case. Unfortunately the way I took it is they are going to go ahead with this Anyway, since no one has any problems with it.

How are they going to go ahead with it if nobody takes part in it? By no one showing up proves that no one is interested and if nobody buys into the program it proves it only more. By only having 16+ people show up at two meetings in a couple of the biggest fishing communities on the coast I think it shows them what we think about the program.

I dont work for the DFO, nor do i even want to begin to try and assess there way of thinking. Those are questions you can ask them at your meeting in Port hardy. You might be surprised at the answers you get.

Lorne

Bear Cove-- if that is the consensus in Hardy , you might want to have a couple of vocal spokespersons speak on behalf the rec community up there. And Lorne is right-- DFO has been instructed by Ottawa to use this year to work out the best way to make this "program" PERMANENT That was said quite clearly last night-- so even if you dont fill the room-- at least have a couple of guys that can speak clearly on your behalf at the meeting.

We snooze-- we looze...

Big Thanks to those of you who attended last night. Again I am sorry that I had to cancel at the last moment.

I agree fully, there needs to be a loud clear voice showing that we are not in support of this and that we will not stand by quietly.

I can not believe that room was not jammed with people in protest of this.

Make it loud and clear........ Step up or kiss your rights goodby.

Before the last election Harper promised he would fix the Commercial/Sport Halibut Allocation issue. 3% really, we are still waiting.

If they force this failed lease scam though against the wishes of the sport sector it will only continue to be a festering boil on the backside of DFO and this government and serve as a lightning rod for future discontent.

Having to lease the right to fish every year from some private fish owner (and in practical terms that is exactly what they are) who contribute nothing but added expense to others, while raking in the cash forever is never going to be accepted. It is being kicked in the teeth over and over year after year. We need a permanent fair solution that does not involve leasing.

This privatization of public fish and continuous lease requirements will always be perceived as grossly unfair and any politician or political party who thinks their support of this will simply be forgotten by hundreds of thousands of anglers and the businesses who rely on them should think again. That said I think they will push this Halibut leasing scam through smug in the confidence we will all simply forget come election time.

They felt the heat last election resulting in the trivial 3% and we were not particularly well organized and short on time.

It is clear to me fairness only comes from them when they need our votes. Luckily we have a lot of votes. I don’t think they will take us seriously until close to the next election when they look around at some of the swing ridings, as they did last time and realize we could make a difference.

The question is what are we going to do over the next 3 and a half year to prepare for round 2 and ensure they are fair with Halibut and other critical issues relevant to the well being of fish and sport fishing?

Last edited by a moderator:
X2 Rcokfish. I also believe that this fight does not need to happen at some meeting with DFO at a few select places on the Island. It needs to happen on a political level much like what happen last spring prior to the election. We put the pressure on, we got a promise from the PM and he did respond. Maybe not to the extent that we all wanted but they did take away 3% with the swipe of a pen and give it to us. For me to have to go to a meeting with DFO and plead my case for the right to fish for fish that belongs to all of us is horse $hit. On top of that have to lease it from someone that was gifted it is friggin crazy.

X2 Rcokfish. I also believe that this fight does not need to happen at some meeting with DFO at a few select places on the Island. It needs to happen on a political level much like what happen last spring prior to the election. We put the pressure on, we got a promise from the PM and he did respond. Maybe not to the extent that we all wanted but they did take away 3% with the swipe of a pen and give it to us. For me to have to go to a meeting with DFO and plead my case for the right to fish for fish that belongs to all of us is horse $hit. On top of that have to lease it from someone that was gifted it is friggin crazy.

I 100% agree with what you are saying. So how is not going to the meeting going to make it better? And if you think by not going that will be interpeted by the DFO as "oh i guess no one supports this we should get rid of it" you are DEAD wrong. It will be viewed as " well i guess everyone likes it, and doesnt have any questions aor concerns"

I 100% agree with what you are saying. So how is not going to the meeting going to make it better? And if you think by not going that will be interpeted by the DFO as "oh i guess no one supports this we should get rid of it" you are DEAD wrong. It will be viewed as " well i guess everyone likes it, and doesnt have any questions aor concerns"

I don’t think anyone is saying not to go to these meetings, we should all go and I plan to attend. It should be entertaining watching DFO try and sell us on how private owners leasing the right to us to catch their privately owned Halibut at huge cost is good for sport fishermen or the economy of BC.

That said I believe DFO has it’s marching orders to push through the privatization of fish agenda from the Federal Government and pave the way for more corporate profits. Most of the time this government works for them not us and the many smaller buisness's that depend on us. However we have proven that they will work for us in the pre election window if they need our votes in the swing ridings especially if those ridings hold cabinet ministers.

Ever notice that they chose their Fisheries Ministers from the east coast where sport fishing votes are not a significant factor, it makes them less vulnerable and less accountable to west coast voters with fishery concerns.

Going to the meetings and listening to all the BS is a waste of my time. I have heard it all, stood with picket signs last year fighting for OUR halibut rights. Was told that this program was a waste of time and would never be brought up again, another LIE! It is up to each individual what they want to do and how they want to go about supporting or not supporting this program. I for one am tired of listening to it, they know nobody wants this program, it is not a viable program hense nobody showing up at either meeting over the last two nights.

LP1, I disagree with you on the not showing up. I believe it to be the other way around. I do not think that DFO after these last two meetings is thinking they have the support of the rec sector with just of 20 people in two fishing towns showing up. I think the exact opposite, that's why nobody showed.

Only my opinion and speaking for myself. Guess we will see tonight and what comes of the program after these meetings. Thinking that DFO will not go back to head office or where be it and say " we had nobody show up to any of the meetings so they must be happy and in support of the program"

My .02

Rec guys showed up
Guides showed up
Lodge's MIA
Now that's not to smart.
GLG

Just got off the phone with my contact in Hardy. Apparently there were 4 DFO reps, 4 Rec guys and 4 commercial guys. From what I understand the Rec guys did a good job of shooting down the "experimental licence", and the commercial guys had little to say. 3 meetings in a row the message has been sent loud and clear, but guaranteed they will keep trying. This is a call to all Rec guys, stand up and be counted, give DFO and every politician you know heartburn over this issue! Make them realize that ITQ management models will not work for recreational fisheries. They need to realize that the whole idea is turning into a ......nightmare!!!

Thank you for the update.

Thank-you Port Hardy guy's for sending the message.

Bearcove..the reason for going is to send DFO a verbal confirmation that they suck but also to inform anyone there intending to lease quota that they would be doing themselves and everyone else a big disservice. my 2 cents

Halibut Experimental Recreational Fishery Community Information Sessions: These sessions will provide information and program details for those interested in participating in the halibut experimental recreational fishery:

Monday, April 16, 2012, 6:30-8:00 p.m.: Ucluelet Community Centre 500 Matterson Drive, Ucluelet, B.C.
Tuesday, April 17, 2012, 6:30-8:00 p.m.: B.C. Marine Heritage Centre 621 North Island Highway, Campbell River, B.C.
Wednesday, April 18, 2012, 6:30-8:00 p.m.: Port Hardy Civic Centre 7450 Columbia Street, Port Hardy, B.C.
Thursday, April 19th, 2012, 6:30-8:00 p.m.: Victoria Marriott Inner Harbour Hotel 728 Humboldt Street, Victoria, B.C.
Monday, April 30, 2012, 6:30-8:00 p.m.: Queen Charlotte Community Centre 134 Bay, Queen Charlotte, B.C.
Tuesday, May 1st, 2012, 6:30 to 8:00 p.m.: Highliner Hotel 815 1 Avenue West, Prince Rupert, B.C.
For further information and to RSVP please email: groundfishin@pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca or call: 604-666-0912. Listed 03/04/2012 FN0272

Back