halibut experimental fishery Q&A

Charlie you are always welcome here and I am sure many of us would love to meet you in person and have a drink or two. You have always been more than informative and great to read your posts and comments.

Charlie, The statment that I made was NOT a personal attack on Bob Wright, he sounds like hell of a guy not to mention a very smart business man. I was pointing out that the OAK BAY MARINE GROUP is a big business making lots of money from halibut fishing the same way that the PATTISON GROUP is a big business making money as well. So if it is O.K. to protest the Pattison GROUP, why is it not O.K. to protest the OAK BAY MARINE GROUP. You are a hypocrite and if you can't think of a person from the commercial sector that has given donations around B.C., donations that far exeed Bob Wrights donations, I'll give you a name Jimmy Pattison. Being from the States you may not have heard of him.

Charlie, The statment that I made was NOT a personal attack on Bob Wright, he sounds like hell of a guy not to mention a very smart business man. I was pointing out that the OAK BAY MARINE GROUP is a big business making lots of money from halibut fishing the same way that the PATTISON GROUP is a big business making money as well. So if it is O.K. to protest the Pattison GROUP, why is it not O.K. to protest the OAK BAY MARINE GROUP. You are a hypocrite and if you can't think of a person from the commercial sector that has given donations around B.C., donations that far exeed Bob Wrights donations, I'll give you a name Jimmy Pattison. Being from the States you may not have heard of him.
I'm sure that Charlie has heard his name- He a pretty smart guy and I believe Mr. Patterson ownes a fair large fish processing company down in the states

Why would we protest Bob Wright he didn't ripoff our quota Jim Pattison
did. By the way if Jim is so benevolent maybe you could convince him
to give our quota back.

Customer satisfaction is his #1 priority! :D

View attachment 886

Attachments

• Pattison Halibut.jpg
    Pattison Halibut.jpg
    83.4 KB · Views: 20
Last edited by a moderator:
Okay, Holmes – this is just for you, as I had already decided not to even reply! Really isn’t worth my time to reply to what appears to be a TROLL! J

Yes, I believe I have head the name of James Pattison! He actually just might own more here in the U.S. than BC! J

You obliviously don’t know much about Jim Pattison, either! Let me help you out! James Allen "Jim" Pattison, OC, OBC (born October 1, 1928). A Vancouver-based entrepreneur president, managing director, chief executive officer, chairman and sole owner of the Jim Pattison Group. That would be, the third largest privately held company in Canada. Born in Saskatoon, Saskatchewan. Owns numerous car dealerships, Overwaitea Foods and Save-On-Foods, Ripley's Believe It or Not!, and radio & TV stations in British Columbia and Alberta. He also owned the Vancouver Blazers of the World Hockey Association. Pattison helped organize Expo 86 in Vancouver, acting as CEO and president of the Expo 86 Corporation. He was involved with the committee for the 2010 Vancouver Olympics. On February 15, 2008, Jim Pattison Group announced the purchase of the GWR Organization, the company known for its Guinness World Records franchise. Its annual book, published in more than 100 countries in 37 languages, is the world's best-selling copyrighted book.

Among other honours, Pattison is a recipient of both the Order of Canada and the Order of British Columbia. He was also listed as No. 178 on the 2008 Forbes list of the world's richest people, currently listed no. 212, with a net worth of $4 Billion. He is also listed as the 4th richest Canadian. Want to see list of your 25 Billionaires? This would be by ranking, name, age, country and net worth in Billions. FYI, they all still reside in Canada, except where noted on the end “United States.” Oh yea, I don’t seem to see Bob Wright on the list, must be due to his $11 Million donation to your Oceans Science?

20 David Thomson & family Canada 52 19.0
100 Galen Weston & family Canada 69 7.2
212 James, Arthur & John Irving Canada NA 4.0
212 Jim Pattison Canada 81 4.0
232 Paul Desmarais Canada 83 3.9
237 Bernard (Barry) Sherman Canada 68 3.8
374 David Azrieli & family Canada 87 2.5
374 Robert Miller Canada 64 2.5
374 Guy Laliberte Canada 50 2.5
400 Emanuele (Lino) Saputo Canada 73 2.4
400 Jeffrey Skoll Canada 45 2.4 United States
421 James Balsillie Canada 49 2.3
421 Wallace McCain Canada 80 2.3
437 Mike Lazaridis Canada 49 2.2
488 Charles Bronfman Canada 78 2.0
616 David Cheriton Canada 58 1.6 United States
655 Stephen Jarislowsky Canada 84 1.5
721 N. Murray Edwards Canada 50 1.4
721 Daryl Katz Canada 48 1.4
773 Clayton Riddell Canada 72 1.3
773 Alexander Shnaider Canada 41 1.3
828 Jean Coutu Canada 82 1.2
937 Douglas Fregin Canada 49 1.0
937 Michael Lee-Chin Canada 59 1.0

Pattison, owns approximately 30% of the shares of Canfor, ever head of them? You should look it up! On April 16, 2009 Pattison announced Save-On Foods has donated $100,000 to CBC Television in order to rent high definition trucks for away games NHL playoff series. I guess he wanted to see it broadcasted in HD in St. Louis.

Did you know, one of his daughters was kidnapped in 1990 and spent 13 hours in captivity before Pattison paid a $200,000 ransom? He has nine grandchildren. Not meaning this in any derogatory way, but you might want to look up the business strategy Jim Patterson is known for. It is sometimes referred and called “being the last man standing” and apply that to your halibut fishery in British Columbia!

Jim Pattison’s largest known donation was on April 16, 2009, when Pattison announced that Save-On Foods has donated that $100,000 to CBC Television in order to rent high definition trucks for away games during the Vancouver Canucks' 2009. So, let’s see, $100,000 to CBC Television versus $11,000,000 to University of Victory for Ocean study? There seems to be a few 0’s missing from Pattison side and then TV trucks relate to what type of fishery? Yea, I believe Bob Wright wins that one - HANDS DOWN. No hypocrisy there, JUST PLAIN FACTS! I am sure open for anyone to show where Jim Pattison has donated or done anything to help the halibut fishery, or anything except to help sustain the commercial taking of it? It is about time he did! Well, it certainly does appear you are trying to attack Bob Wright and Oak Bay Marine Group! Why, because are “a big business?” I can’t seem to find where Oak Bay Marine Group has done any commercial fishing - Pattison does! I don’t find where any of Bob Wright’s organizations sell halibut to anyone – Pattison does? I find a large donation to your resource from Wright – where is Pattison’s?

In case you don’t know, British Columbia’s recreation halibut fishing is going to close approximately October 1, 2011. That is going to be due to poor accountability more than anything. NOT what any fishing guide, “American,” or commercial fisherman actually catches! It is simply Canada not investing in an accurate accountability program for the recreational fishery. BTW they didn’t voluntarily do the accountability for commercial, either – it was forced on them and they made the commercial sector pay for it! You don't think there is a problem there? I would be pissed if I was a commercial, also! Do you really believe that closure is going to have any affect on either Jim Pattison or Bob Wright? It is not! Oak Bay Marine Group’s seasonal business is over by then. They have no need, unless someone wants to talk Bob Wright or Jim Pattison to lease some jof that just to extend the recreational season? They just might, if asked? But, you play the "protest card" on either - I will bet against it!

Do you really believe DFO, when they are projecting the recreational halibut fishery in Areas 19-27 are going to exceed 1,000,000 pounds of halibut? Very safe guess there, that surely will keep IPHC off their back! This is clearly and strictly a political maneuver. Then for DFO to have a “long term” goal to have this settled by 2017, give me a break – total BS there!

If you really want the truth? Rather than “bashing” either one, because they are rich… you would be much better of getting those two gentlemen together, lock THEM in a room with the authority settle this issue once and for all! $10 will get you $20, they could do it! J

BTW… thanks for the compliments! Yes, it would be Crown! Maybe I should start thinking about switching to an “American” whiskey to avoid any future conflicts, since that now bottled exclusively in Canada? I sure don’t accused of stopping the flow Crown Royal to Canadians? J

Bcboy, would you mind doing a little research on this topic, or just – go troll somewhere else!

WELL after all that when you coming up???LOL LOL ill be more than happy to take you fishing for "our" halibut....

Wolf

Thanks for the post Charlie great as usual.
One thing that should be pointed out that jimmy has been doing for the Salmon on the inside of Vancouver Island. The commercial herring fishery has been hammering them fish so that the salmon don’t have to eat that stuff. They can eat seaweed like good little vegetarians. Yup send the herring eggs (roe) to Japan and send the rest to the cat food industry. You would not want to let the herring spawn and mess up the beaches right. Way better then letting those salmon eat it. Now that’s giving back.

Jimmy.jpg

this shouldn't be a battle of who is most generous - unfortunately Charlie, you aren't quite accurate and BCforall is correct even though the donations aren't necessarily industry related, there is no way you can accuse him of being cheap:

Regardless of its detractors, The Jim Pattison Group is among Canada's largest corporate donors, and one-tenth of the entrepreneur's personal income is directed to charities. Pattison is said to have slipped a C$1 million dollar check into the collection plate of the church he attended and also to have donated C$25 million to a private Christian school. In 1998, Pattison donated C$25 million to a New York Business Association to help clean up the area and also gave C$20 million to prostate cancer research. Moreover, the entrepreneur also became known for spending time and effort on good causes. In the 1980s, he accepted the position to chair Vancouver's World Trade Fair, Expo '86, for a fee of one dollar a year. At project's end, amid criticisms of his ruthless managerial style and well-publicized allegations of conflict of interest activities, Pattison brought the C$1.6 billion project in C$32 million under budget.

I believe this should stick to the DFO/minister battle, not the individuals taking advantage of their moronic decision makings.

I believe this should stick to the DFO/minister battle, not the individuals taking advantage of their moronic decision makings.

Unfortunately it would appear that Jim Pattison's intense
lobbying for greater halibut quota is the root cause of their moronic
decision making.

Thanks for the book report Charlie, you seemed to miss the most important paragraph though as Deewar pointed out.....If you really think Jimmy is the one then go and protest, see where it gets everybody...

where in deewars post does it say Jimmy donated to anything fishing related?

Lorne
tis what i said - it didn't appear like he was giving back to the industry (although perhaps he has as I only did a 2 minute google search on it), but there seemed to be a question here of his 'general' generosity, and I think you can put that to rest.

this shouldn't be a battle of who is most generous - unfortunately Charlie, you aren't quite accurate and BCforall is correct even though the donations aren't necessarily industry related, there is no way you can accuse him of being cheap:

Regardless of its detractors, The Jim Pattison Group is among Canada's largest corporate donors, and one-tenth of the entrepreneur's personal income is directed to charities. Pattison is said to have slipped a C$1 million dollar check into the collection plate of the church he attended and also to have donated C$25 million to a private Christian school. In 1998, Pattison donated C$25 million to a New York Business Association to help clean up the area and also gave C$20 million to prostate cancer research. Moreover, the entrepreneur also became known for spending time and effort on good causes. In the 1980s, he accepted the position to chair Vancouver's World Trade Fair, Expo '86, for a fee of one dollar a year. At project's end, amid criticisms of his ruthless managerial style and well-publicized allegations of conflict of interest activities, Pattison brought the C$1.6 billion project in C$32 million under budget.

Well stated, I actually thought about posting some of that information! There is no doubt in my mind Jim Pattison has done his share for British Columbia; however, this is still concerning the halibut recreational fishery. That is the issue! Bringing these individuals into it, very well could = Good! They have the knowledge, and the ability to end this issue! DFO has neither!

I agree with you on everything, except the one term “moronic”… I don’t believe there is anything moronic about either of these gentlemen! J

May I re-emphasis a couple of things?
They have no need, unless someone wants to talk Bob Wright or Jim Pattison to lease some of that just to extend the recreational season? They just might, if asked? But, you play the "protest card" on either - I will bet against it!
If you really want the truth? Rather than “bashing” either one, because they are rich… you would be much better of getting those two gentlemen together, lock THEM in a room with the authority settle this issue once and for all! $10 will get you $20, they could do it! J
You back either of these individuals up against the wall or into corner, you better be right, and all bets are off! I will bet against you on that outcome!

If any of you plan on taking on Pattison , I dont give you a snowballs chance in hell of succeeding. He didnt get to where he is by passing up a chance for a fight, and if you talk to anyone who has worked for him-- he plays to win. He is taking advantage of a political system that just looks at fish as currency.... Go to the root of the problem-- Gail Shea and the Conservative Cabinet.

you mean Bob Wright... the man that trapped and sold K-pod off for big bucks, well the ones that lived anyway. Yes quite the conservationalist.

Thanks for the post Charlie great as usual.
One thing that should be pointed out that jimmy has been doing for the Salmon on the inside of Vancouver Island. The commercial herring fishery has been hammering them fish so that the salmon don’t have to eat that stuff. They can eat seaweed like good little vegetarians. Yup send the herring eggs (roe) to Japan and send the rest to the cat food industry. You would not want to let the herring spawn and mess up the beaches right. Way better then letting those salmon eat it. Now that’s giving back.

Jimmy.jpg

Strait of georgia seine testing today found 80,000+ tons with out trying. The stocks for herring are extremly healthy and this is the first of 2 age classes that are predicted to be huge.

I remain intrigued by this possible angle in this fight. Pattison is the dominant player in the commercial halibut game. [does anyone have definite stats on what % of the quota his company Canfisco holds? I couldn't find this online. Could someone re-post that link to quota holders?] He has made millions on this quota. He has been shown to be a benevolent guy. He could probably use some great press.

So....rec fishing sector reps approaches him to ask for a donation of quota to the recreational sector, to bridge the gap between the 12% allowed and the demand from this growing interest in halibut fishing. This is sold to him as a gift to all Canadian anglers, a charitable donation that benefits several hundred thousand citizens. Heck, rather than gifting it in perpetuity, he could even do this as just this year's experimental quota leasing -- but just gift it instead of charging the quota rent.

If this was donated to a charitable foundation [does SFIBC have charitable status?], who then distributes it appropriately, he'd even get a tax receipt for it! So the gov't ends up paying 25% of its value in tax savings, perhaps for commercial quota he might not even use up this year, if fish are left in the water at year's end.

Win-win-win ... he looks like the good guy, gets a whole bunch of great press for bridging an impossible gap, mending fences between sectors, etc etc. DFO and the Feds get a face-saving way out. Harmony is restored, and we little guy anglers get a chance to chase fresh white fish in November.

That might be the rye n ginger talking, but it seems to make sense. Maybe it's far fetched to expect a billionaire to give away a half million dollars, but there seems to be precedent with him. But one thing for sure, those calling for a protest against Pattison ... you'd be crazy to do so UNTIL at least giving him a chance to do the right thing first.

Back