halibut experimental fishery Q&A

I personally think that if we are against big business getting rich off of a canadian resourse, one that belongs to all canadians, we as recreational fishermen should be equally concerned about companys like the OAK BAY MARINE GROUP, don't think for a second that companys like this wouldn't love to catch every single recreational halibut in canada with with their rich american clients. Don't think for a second that these guys are out for the best interests of all canadian anglers. They are the wolf in sheeps clothing. As a recreational angler I am opposed to the rec sector getting any more allocation untill we get these guys under control and on a very tight leash.

Sounds like another Commercial wolf in sheeps clothing- Dead give away only 2 posts

I personally think that if we are against big business getting rich off of a canadian resourse, one that belongs to all canadians, we as recreational fishermen should be equally concerned about companys like the OAK BAY MARINE GROUP, don't think for a second that companys like this wouldn't love to catch every single recreational halibut in canada with with their rich american clients. Don't think for a second that these guys are out for the best interests of all canadian anglers. They are the wolf in sheeps clothing. As a recreational angler I am opposed to the rec sector getting any more allocation untill we get these guys under control and on a very tight leash.

i agree 100% if we got 8% from commies the sport comies harvest 6% of it anyway

troll.gif

holy Sh*@!+T this idiots created a whole new species of Halibut a "recreational halibut".....why are your so worried about yanks coming here and droppin millions and millions to catch halibut .....Americans make up a small percentage of guides and lodges client base in fact 80% of guides and lodges client base are good old Canadians droppin hundreds of millions of hard earned Canadian cash here in BC ......when 75% of commecial halibut goes to the USA with a paltry $6.50 /lb going into the BC economy the numbers speak for themselves....

let me clarify, wouldn't want you guys to rush out there in the ****** weather looking for the new species. I was talking about fish allocated to the recreational sector and yes I'm opposed to unlimited amounts of americans comming to canada fishing OUR halibut. Sorry if you disagree.

Do you realize most of the lodges now are self guided anyways??? with wait for it "sport fisherman" rent the useage of the lodge.... with a "fish master" checking up on them ....
YES there is guided one as well but they are winding down more and more

Check the #s bcboy the large majority of clients these lodges are entertaining and bringing BIG bucks into our local economies,creating good paying jobs for our cash strapped youth in BC the majority what is it 80% are made up of Sportsfisherman from CANADA. Wake up smell the coffee BC Boy??

No one is advocating that we stop petitioning DFO or our MP's. Only that there is another course of action we should be looking at and a very easy one at that. How hard is it to organize a protest rally of local Sporty's and plug up a few parking lots one Saturday with trucks, boats, trailers, signs, and information handouts to let everyone know who ripped-off our halibut quota and tell them that we want it back. If we target all his stores on the same day it would certainly make the local news and probably the National as well. The bottom line is that it is an easy thing to do requiring only a few hours of our time some weekend with nothing to lose and possibly much to gain.
Let us not forget what happened here; without consultation with us half of our halibut quota was taken and gifted to the wealthiest man in BC after intense lobbying by him of our federal government.

Hell hath no fury like a Sports Fisherman who has had his fishing quota ripped-off.

problem is that we risk pissing off the general public, i think handing out information pamphlets or puting them on car windows or ppls mail boxes would be less confrontational with the public and maybe more effective, just throwing it out there....holmes*

Homes - you are getting some of that passion harnessed and looking at things strategically; I am impressed .

im tryin my best to channel the negetive into something postive and constructive rockfish, but its damn hard, let me tell ya. here is another idea, can someone come up with some form of info pamphlet and/or signage that could be posted on here or we could receive via email so we could all print them off and photycopy them and pass them out and post them up in our own communities, just throwin this out there as well...holmes*

It is a good idea to expand awareness with our own powerbase (recreational anglers). It would be good to have water proof posters at all the places anglers frequent such as marinas, boat launches, tackle shops, boat dealers etc.
After all not all anglers read this forum. Something that grabs their attention like a header that says ‘YOUR RIGHT TO CATCH FISH IS BEING STOLEN FROM YOU’.

Who knows maybe Jimmy would support us by putting them up in his auto dealerships; after all recreational anglers buy a lot of expensive trucks to tow our boats.

I also like the idea of having a booth at all the boat shows for as long as it takes to get this issue resolved. I think the above line would make a good banner especially if the coalition booth was right across from the DFO booth.

I have been waiting for one of you “Canadians” to address this Oak Bay Marine Group comment? Since no one has, I guess being one of those “unlimited” Americans I will! J

Oak Bay Marine Group, you don’t have a clue making that statement and I sure wouldn’t be too worried about any “leash” on them! Sometimes, the only thing that can be said is just some statements are made from lack of knowledge, otherwise known as IGNORANCE!

You obviously know nothing of Oak Bay Marine Group or the man who founded it? I know can't be referring to the Oak Bay Marine Group and Mr. Robert H Wright I know of? Let’s see, would you be referring to Bob Wright who built a marina in Oak Bay in 1962, 49 years ago and has allowed nine (9) Oak Bay Sea Rescue Society boats to be moored in that marina, for FREE? Or, the ones who recently partnered with the BC Wildlife Federation saving members 20% on any Oak Bay Marine Group package? Or, the company that donates another 5% of that price back to the federation? Or, I know you can’t be referring directly to Mr. Robert (Bob) H. Wright of Oak Bay Marine Group, who recently donated $11 Million to the University of Victoria for Ocean & Climate Research? “A gift back to the ocean.” Sorry, I would have a problem with using those names in the same sentence with anyone I am aware in the commercial sector? I am also having problems finding ANY commercials doing anything of such nature! I would suggest re-thinking the comment, as that just might be considered a bit IDIOTIC!!!!!!!!!

While I assure a few Americans are running around Oak Bay Marine Group in the QCI. I assure some are probably rich, and some from Montana. I also assure many do fish un-guided and mostly for salmon! I will also assure, if they have the salmon limit - they will halibut fish, wouldn't you? However, I will also firmly assure, if you or any bothers to check they will find the majority of Oak Bay Marine Group clientele is NOT American. It is now primarily a CANADIAN destination.

Don't confuse and muddy the waters between Area2C and Area2B. For those that don’t really know, it is not cost effective for us in the Pacific Northwest to make that trip to QCi! So, once again - You do NOT have unlimited Americans fishing halibut in QCI, WCVI, or anywhere else in BC. In fact you have very few, just look around and start counting Americans bringing in halibut. You will see some, but most of them are lucky to catch a salmon, let alone halibut!

let me clarify, wouldn't want you guys to rush out there in the ****** weather looking for the new species. I was talking about fish allocated to the recreational sector and yes I'm opposed to unlimited amounts of americans comming to canada fishing OUR halibut. Sorry if you disagree.

Now, being one of those “unlimited” Americans I really hate to burst this bubble J, but while there are still some, very few “Americans” go to British Columbia to “halibut” fish. The few that do, very seldom go any farther than Winter Harbor or Port Hardy… It is simply not cost effective and when I once mentioned it (years ago) the response I received was - Are you nuts?

Any self-respected halibut fisherman is going to tell you to jump on an airplane and fly to Alaska! Can you say Area 2C, with more going to the Kodiak area each year. Why do you think there is such a problem in Area 2C? The people catching those fish, sure aren't from Alaska!

Just look at the costs. One of those “unlimited” Americans can fly to Ketchikan, AK = $455.80, stay at a friend’s and fish his boat; even stay at the Narrows Inn for three nights for $435.00. Now, I can still either borrow or rent a boat and fiend for myself; or, if one doesn’t/can’t do that, there is still the fully guided, all-inclusive 3 night trips all over the place for under $1500.00. Many of those are still staying at the Narrows Inn. Now look at Oak Bay Group at Langara (fishing the waters 20 miles south of Alaska)! On the MV Charlotte Princess, that fishing package, which is also all-inclusive, includes round-trip flights from Vancouver, BC for 4 days / 3 nights for a minimum cost of $2,485 – that is minimum. Then there is still getting to Vancouver airport, plus pay for parking? Just to fly from Seattle to Sandspit, BC is $788.00 round trip. Now, for the sake of fishing “halibut” how many halibut fishermen in the Pacific Northwest doesn’t have that program figured out? In a nut shell, it is better fishing, bigger fish, costs less, faster, and a lot less hassle to go to Alaska – guided or not! What are you thinking?

ALL those anglers in BC everyone keeps referring, would be there to do one thing. That would be to catch “OUR” salmon. Now since YOU are “opposed” to that, I will be “opposed" to "YOU" catching OUR salmon, so I’ll make YOU a deal… ”YOU” leave OUR fish alone – I will leave YOUR fish alone! BTW… in case you don’t realize it, most of those halibut on the north of QCI, plus the ones on Swithsure, and in the Strait of Juan de Fuca, and in Areas 21 are mostly fish that migrate from "OUR" U.S. waters, so "YOU" have to leave them alone, also!

Have a great day trolling! J

HERE HERE!!!!!!! agin great job charlie couldnt have said it better myself........
When do you want to come up and catch some of "your" fish???? LOL im sure alot on here would like to meet you personally for a bevie after you have gone fishing......

Wolf

Thanks Charlie, you saved me from yet another 'foot-in-mouth' episode. After a meeting with Bob a couple of years back - while in the midst of my f#ck-the-fishfarmers rampage - when I tried unsuccessfully to win his support for the WSA initiative, I came away from that meeting with a bad taste in my mouth. He basically told me he thought we should grow all 'commercial-fish' in pens and keep all the 'wild' fish for the rec-sector. Though I couldn't believe my ears at the time, I've since come to accept that it was just his opinion at the time and that he might well have chosen his words differently if he had more time to reflect or had a better understanding of the real issues with the industry.

I had no idea he was such a philanthropic individual.

No hi-jack intended... back to halibut - over!

Ditto on the 'brewskie with Charlie' thing Wolf!

Back