Halibut drift jigging

fish stalker

I know I have alot of questions but if anyone has answers to anyone please let me know! Cheers :eek: or if someone will chat with me pm me and ill send you my number. :)

I plan on going out this Saturday and Ive been reading all I can about drift jigging. Ive bought books, scoured the net... Ive been hali fishing once and we were anchored. I dont have a gps on my boat and I dont even know how to get to constance and am trying to find a flatter easier area for drifting.

Last Chance had a thread here last year when he talked about hali tides and how they work but I cant find it.

I was wondering could it be possible to time it so I find a ledge or near a hole or pinnicale and motor past it and just try and dirft/troll along the area and have any luck?

Im still learning about currents and tides and how it all plays in. Since I will be drift or trolling how does the current work with the gear action? Anchored you drop a 1-2lb ball down to bottom and just let waves bottom bounce you.(?) Do I use a spreader bar with a pipe jig and giant hootchie''? Im not sure how that keeps the dog fish off? Do I switch up types of jigs for slack or fast running currant?

Do I have to becarful of which way my rods and boat are going in connection with the currant if im running so little weight?

Can I run two rods?

Can I run stuff off downrigger or just let er down till I hit bottom?

Do I need a harpoon? I dont plan on keeping anything over 100lbs. How hard is it to hit that kill spot?

Do I use circle hooks? What size?

I have one reel loaded up with 300ft 80lb braid and a hali rod. Can I use my shimano 4000 mooching 40lb mono with a heavyer leader? with a hali rod. do I put a leader on the braid rod or tie straight to it?

I know Im soo sorry but these are all the questions I couldnt find answers to! :confused::p:eek:

ps I know there are alot of questions and people feel like mabey someone who dosnt know much like me shouldnt be out on the water and by not helping me I wont go out. but Im going and I have to start somewhere and I am a ethical fishermen and respect the resource and if you feel you dont want share anything because it might be used by someone respectfully you can pm me! :) Thankyou!

Maybe go out on a charter and learn the ropes. That's the fast track way

there's nothing to it, drop your gear to the bottom and drift along. If you're using jigs, jig them as you drift. The key is fish when the currents are slow and fish where the fish are. Its really about as simple as fishing can get. Drop a herring to the bottom and put the rod in the rod holder, grab a beer and wait for a bite.

Your on the right track fish stalker you just need to put the time in and eventually you'll figure out what works for you. I've got no experience drifting so can't really offer any help. Took me many trips to land my first halibut then they came somewhat consistently after that.

Hi Fish Stalker

I am also a beginner Halibut fisherman, I drift fished last year, with some success. I get into position up stream from the area I want to fish and drop my lines to the bottom and pull up a few feet. As you drift you need to check your bottom distance by droping the gear back to the bottom and reeling in. Jig slightly as you go. If the current is too strong you will know right away as you won't be able to keep the 2lb ball anywhere near the bottom.

Hey Stalker,

As you know, I was a first year hali fisherman last year too, but after getting out with a charter for a learning experience last year, my family and I went out probably 5-6 times trying for hali while drifting last summer. Mixed results - got one small one, and lost a beautiful big one (probably 50-60lbs) at the boat. We're planning on doing better this year, but I can share some tips I picked up last year that I plan to follow this year:

Check the tides and currents, and only go when the currents are slow, like less than 1 kt for a prolonged period. You have to pick your weekend - and if there's a stronger current, stick to the salmon. Or whale watching. You'll quickly learn if the currents are too strong by the angle you get on your line.

Seek longer areas that you can drift over that are of generally same depth. Changing depth regularly is a pain, and if it gets shallower, you're likely to catch bottom. Try for sandy areas - I hear the Flats are good, but I got hung up there last year. The bank is great, but be careful, and there are a few other holes off the waterfront that are worth checking out.

Use the spreader bar, let your 2lb ball down to the bottom, and bring it up a bit, checking depth every few minutes. Bouncing is good, but monitor closely. Put your ball on a leader as well, with lesser weight (20-30lbs perhaps) so that if the ball gets stuck (and it should be your deepest piece of gear by 2 feet or so), you only loose that when it snaps off. Not sure about dogfish yet, although I believe you need the steel leaders for them - they shouldn't be an issue at this early stage of the year, I think.

I like two rods down, but put one down first and see which way it goes and how your boat floats. If it's steady and the two lines wouldn't cross, go for it. From what I have seen of others, you can troll with a downrigger near the bottom.

Get a harpoon. Gaffing a good size one may seem like the cool thing/easy thing to do, but had I had a harpoon last year, I wouldn't have lost the one we did lose. And that hurt. I liked the circle hooks - not sure of size. Big. And they come recommended, apparently more likely to get the lip/jaw with a circle hook, and should be easier to release. I hope.

Be prepared for the unexpected that deep. We've seen some skates on the forum here, which I haven't seen yet, but we did get a 6' long Giant Pacific Octopus, and man was that an adventure! Kids were freaked, and I had to "call a friend" for help! Good times!

Good luck out there, I won't be out this weekend, but hopefully soon! Send some reports! Best part of this forum! And the advice from others too. Cheers!

Fish stalker if you got a cellphone get the navtronics app it's a poor mans GPS and a chart and you can pick your hali holes. A tide and current atlas, Murrary tables and they will tell you the times to fish those holes.

You want a slow drift. Stay away from rocky areas to start. You are better to drift along a bank that drops off rather than comes up. Lead head jigs with a grub can be good for drifting as the hook is much less likely to get snagged.

Don't use your moocher reel unless you change out the line. 40lb mono would probably hold, BUT it would really suck to lose a nice fish because of the line test.
No downriggers if your drifting.
No mono leader needed for your braid set up. Braid to heavy snap. Heavy snap to spreader bar or jig.

PM me if you want to come by and check out some of my set ups. I also have some extra gear I could sell you for cheap.

Fish stalker if you got a cellphone get the navtronics app it's a poor mans GPS and a chart and you can pick your hali holes. A tide and current atlas, Murrary tables and they will tell you the times to fish those holes.

Murray's tables tells you when to fish what holes? I want a refund on my tables. They're just a bunch of numbers. :p

The only way to get to know your area and what your going to catch is trying it out yourself. There is a ton (and I mean a ton) of information on this site if you search it. Research, research, research. Then fish, fish, fish. Time on the water is your most valuable asset in the big picture. Take it all in then go with what works for you and your set up.

I bought an anchor set up last year and never used it lol. I do plan on using it this year.

I drift fish for halibut all the time and what everyone has already posted is a must. Slack tides and go for it. Look for structures that have a point on them or arrow head etc. Drift over them near the tip.

Last edited by a moderator:
Im on all of it guys thanks!

Thanks Cornflake! I was thinking harpoon. I have a beefy but short handle gaff. Mabey something like this :)
[PxjmDLzsNdQ] http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PxjmDLzsNdQ jk jk :p

Cant wait! Im so nervous and excited!

Halibut are interesting critters, and seem to inhabit a variety of areas, hard soft etc. I have always prefered drift fishing over anchoring, and would say that I have caught the largest fish while drifting. If the tides are strong, you only have a short window on the hard bottom spots, but some of my soft bottom spots produce best on strong tides (covering ground), just depends on the spot. Most of the really big fish I have seen have come off hard bottom / rocky areas. These are the tips I can offer the newcomers:

1-The key to drift fishing is staying on top of the gear. This is usually referred to as "back trolling" or chasing the gear. You need to keep your lines as straight down as possible. This technique reduces hang ups, and also helps to detect strikes more efficiently. If the lines are going out at an angle, back the boat up, don't just let out more line. Sometimes I have the boat in reverse for the entire drift.

2- Dispell the notion that you must drag bottom to catch halibut. Although this can be effective, I have had my best success 5 - 15 turns off the bottom, they see the jig better and will come up to grab it. You will loose less gear this way and catch more fish. I have also caught hali's more than 100ft off the bottom.

3- use good bait, and keep it fresh. An old timer once said "if you wouldn't eat it yourself, why would a halibut eat it". I'm always putting fresh bait on the hooks. Make sure the bait dangles from the hook, leaving lots of hook exposed. If you are using j hooks set them hard as soon as you feel something. Circle hooks, be patient and let the fish set the hook.

4- The gps and sounder are very important. Pay attention to where you are when you get hits, and where feed is on the bottom. Try to get your drifts through the active areas.

Hope this helps, good luck!

www.tidesandtales.com

you and drift fish for halis in currents with your 12-20 lb weights on a down rigger with a release clip,,you don't need a spreader bar,just your leader and a big hook with your bait (herring),any hali over 50 lbs you need a harpoon,,
i will be out at constance bank fri.,sat.,sun., trolling for salmon and drifting or trolling for halis when the currents are at there slowest
i have the navionics gps on my i-phone,,have had it for a year now and it will tell you the current weather,,depths from the charts on the map,hieghts of tides and currents,,well worth the $10.00 that i paid for it,,and sometimes when your boat gps goes squirrly on you,,the i=phone gps is a great back up,,i am happy with it,,it also does tracking,,
I know I have alot of questions but if anyone has answers to anyone please let me know! Cheers :eek: or if someone will chat with me pm me and ill send you my number. :)

I plan on going out this Saturday and Ive been reading all I can about drift jigging. Ive bought books, scoured the net... Ive been hali fishing once and we were anchored. I dont have a gps on my boat and I dont even know how to get to constance and am trying to find a flatter easier area for drifting.

Last Chance had a thread here last year when he talked about hali tides and how they work but I cant find it.

I was wondering could it be possible to time it so I find a ledge or near a hole or pinnicale and motor past it and just try and dirft/troll along the area and have any luck?

Im still learning about currents and tides and how it all plays in. Since I will be drift or trolling how does the current work with the gear action? Anchored you drop a 1-2lb ball down to bottom and just let waves bottom bounce you.(?) Do I use a spreader bar with a pipe jig and giant hootchie''? Im not sure how that keeps the dog fish off? Do I switch up types of jigs for slack or fast running currant?

Do I have to becarful of which way my rods and boat are going in connection with the currant if im running so little weight?

Can I run two rods?

Can I run stuff off downrigger or just let er down till I hit bottom?

Do I need a harpoon? I dont plan on keeping anything over 100lbs. How hard is it to hit that kill spot?

Do I use circle hooks? What size?

I have one reel loaded up with 300ft 80lb braid and a hali rod. Can I use my shimano 4000 mooching 40lb mono with a heavyer leader? with a hali rod. do I put a leader on the braid rod or tie straight to it?

I know Im soo sorry but these are all the questions I couldnt find answers to! :confused::p:eek:

I believe people are referencing a "2lb ball" here when describing the amount of weight you would use if it wasn't a downrigger.

A 2lb ball is 32ounces of lead.

However , the regs say that you can use a ball up to a max of 1kg.

I kg is 2.2 lbs....or 2 and 1/5th lbs.

That translates to about 35 ounces of weight ......

I wonder why more guys don't pour 1kg balls 2 pounds seems standard I've only got one 1kg weight multiple 2 pounders. Seems if your selling weights on used Vic 1kg would sell better then 2lb. I guess since Americans don't use kg a 1kg mold is probably difficult to find.

Got a couple dink weights off CCB they glow like crazy and their shape should reduce bottom hang ups if your drifting. Here is a picture of my new dink and balls. lol. I caught plenty of halibut on bare lead last season but I like the dink weights over a regular cannon ball and I also like having a variety of sizes and shapes (now colors too!) to choose from just to keep it interesting for myself. I doubt the fish care. CCB threw in the jigs.

Hali Weights.jpg
Hali Lures.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Back