Halibut-Closing on the 9th

even less fish kept this season than last outta Poett Nook , NOT one time did we see anyone counting or enquiring about numbers , Spring was
windy far to often ,tried several times , only ta get blown off the water , SO , where are the experts getting there numbers from here , indicating it woulda shut down mid July , thats rediculous , BS math and speculation is all it is..give it a rest....

Agree LC , lose the over under crap , on to the real issue , Allocation !!

fd

Lots of Halis off Bamfield these days. Was a little scratchy a week or so back but that was more the big tides than lack of fish. Looks like those South VI fish moved north. As for allocation, that is really the long term solution we need to pursue. Simple. Short term, was all about figuring out a way to live within our "official" TAC regardless of how it is calculated - voodoo math or otherwise. Way easier working within the system than railing against the machine. In coming years we need to secure more TAC without fighting with others about percentage allocation. Just go out and buy it.

just ta clear somthing up,

My comment about not seeing alot of Halis at the Poett Nook tables this season , was NOT based on the lack of Halibut in our area,
There were and are plenty to be had , i had no problems getting our fish the few times we went ,
People are just not that interested in going out to the banks when the salmon are in the sound , and that they were ,
it was awesome inside this year with the exception of the past few weeks ,get out in ur tub or hire a guide , Rocky Point Charters
, Mills Landing , highly recommended , there out there every day ,n DIALED IN !!
get out ther and stack em , my last outting showed excellent chickens at Rats ta 25lbs , LOTS !!

get out there sporty's and take whats yours !! We are !!

Its the magical numbers thing that really pisses me off...nuff already

later

fd

Gotcha, lots of halis. Its not a shortage that's for certain. Its simply an allocation issue. The voodoo math is killing us, and the only way around it is to become owners. Once we own more quota we have fewer worries. Think about the cumulative buying power of many thousands of rec anglers.

i thought the slot size was suppose to xtend our hali season..? Look back in the "hali slot size thread"....Like usual more lies, and we(sporties) supported and believed this...What searun said about quota is true, but if i remember correctly we did get more quota(correct me if im wrong). Looking back on the "slot size forum"...The idea of "slot size", was mentioned , and then what do u know....MORE RESTRICTIONS! DFO did uphold their end of the deal and gave us an extra 5 days of fishing. Who knows maybe next year we will have a slot size on our slot size!!!! When r we gonna do something? I wish I was William Wallace!
cheers..............

12% of big pie > 15% of small pie. Sorry, just trying to get used to the idea of going back to school next week by doing some basic math. Luckily for the kids, I teach PE.

Something we need to remenber is the last 2 years we went over our quota to stay open..... this year we will and are being held within our quota.... as we should be ... As other have been saying we do need to secure more quota.. :)

12% of big pie > 15% of small pie. Sorry, just trying to get used to the idea of going back to school next week by doing some basic math. Luckily for the kids, I teach PE.

It's easy........ the overall quota for commercial and sport went down,. We got an extra 3% of that. We got one hell of a lot more than 5 extra days, salmonboy...............more like a month.

Here we go again!
Debating the slot will get us no where In my opinion. The fact is that most of those involved in the process believed that we were looking at a July closer.The slot was implemented to try to prolong the season. The closure has now come and along with will come many varying opinions on what was responsible for the extra month or so.Non of which will help solve the root cause of our declining access.

IN MY OPINION: the only debate we should be having is whether or not we should throw in the towel and accept and subscribe to the belief that our right to access should be determined by how much money we have and how much of it we can secure through paying private enterprise for ownership of it.

If IN MY OPINION the answer is yes then we may as well look at how much of the other species we can buy from private enterprise.

My opinion is NO for reasons of principle and long term affect on those of us who have no vested interest in fishing, other than a love for the sport and a belief that we should have the right to pass that love on to future generations regardless of how much money we have.

Last edited by a moderator:
Here we go again!
Debating the slot will get us no where In my opinion. The fact is that most of those involved in the process believed that we were looking at a July closer.The slot was implemented to try to prolong the season. The closure has now come and along with will come many varying opinions on what was responsible for the extra month or so.Non of which will help solve the root cause of our declining access.

IN MY OPINION: the only debate we should be having is whether or not we should throw in the towel and accept and subscribe to the belief that our right to access should be determined by how much money we have and how much of it we can secure through paying private enterprise for ownership of it.

If IN MY OPINION the answer is yes then we may as well look at how much of the other species we can buy from private enterprise.

My opinion is NO for reasons of principle and long term affect on those of us who have no vested interest in fishing, other than a love for the sport and a belief that we should have the right to pass that love on to future generations regardless of how much money we have.

Yes,you make some valid points... as stated - this is an allocation problem, the rec sector is a political football, kicked too n fro between - Canadian Goverment and the slipper skippers.

Justin Trudeau, imho has echoed many of our feeling re: DFO / Harper's conservation and fisheries policies -"this doesn't feel like my country anymore"

Wow can't believe guys are suggesting buying quota. If your going to do that just go buy your Fish at the store it's way cheaper and it doesn't screw your rec fishing buddies. If the majority starts buying quota we will always have to buy quota. That's not the answer fighting for a fair share is. Until we get that work with what we have and don't wait until September to get your Hali.

Buying fish off a fishermen before he even catches it what a joke.

Wow can't believe guys are suggesting buying quota. If your going to do that just go buy your Fish at the store it's way cheaper and it doesn't screw your rec fishing buddies. If the majority starts buying quota we will always have to buy quota. That's not the answer fighting for a fair share is. Until we get that work with what we have and don't wait until September to get your Hali.

Buying fish off a fishermen before he even catches it what a joke.

Nope, nothing could be farther from the truth...we need to buy and own the actual quota. Big difference if you understand how ITQ's work. NOT advocating renting quota, rather owning it. Huge difference.

DONE!!!!!!!!! tried for an hour to put into words what buying quota will cost us in the end. Cant do it. I give up!

We should never have to buy what is already ours and what was given to others.. This dont make sense.

For someone that doesn\t know the history behind the Halibut allocation, how did we get ourselves into this mess?? what a nightmare. :(

We got into this mess because of an externally imposed political ideology from our wonderful conservative government. This ideology says that common ownership is bad and private ownership is good. Common ownership is complex and expensive to manage, and uses government money provided by taxpayers. Private ownership downloads all resource management, monitoring and even enforcement into private hands. (For an example of that just look at the fish feed lots and how many marine mammals they kill and their insistence that they don't have to give disease and parasite data to the government!)

The assignment ("gifting") of the halibut quota to the slipper skippers is just a step in the privatisation of ocean fisheries, just as "run of the river" projects are a step towards privatisation of freshwater resources.

Salmon are next on the privatisation agenda; in fact they are there already because salmon feed lots are the the government's stealth Trojan horse to accomplish that. Eliminate all wild fish and put domestic ones in pens, and hey presto, the ocean fisheries are privatised! (It is a repeat of the 19th century destruction of the open prairie roaming buffalo and their replacement with (mostly) fenced cattle ranches.)

When you neither know nor care about ecology and the natural world, or the rights of the common man, nothing is sacred.......

We got into this mess because of an externally imposed political ideology from our wonderful conservative government. This ideology says that common ownership is bad and private ownership is good. Common ownership is complex and expensive to manage, and uses government money provided by taxpayers. Private ownership downloads all resource management, monitoring and even enforcement into private hands. (For an example of that just look at the fish feed lots and how many marine mammals they kill and their insistence that they don't have to give disease and parasite data to the government!)

The assignment ("gifting") of the halibut quota to the slipper skippers is just a step in the privatisation of ocean fisheries, just as "run of the river" projects are a step towards privatisation of freshwater resources.

Salmon are next on the privatisation agenda; in fact they are there already because salmon feed lots are the the government's stealth Trojan horse to accomplish that. Eliminate all wild fish and put domestic ones in pens, and hey presto, the ocean fisheries are privatised! (It is a repeat of the 19th century destruction of the open prairie roaming buffalo and their replacement with (mostly) fenced cattle ranches.)

When you neither know nor care about ecology and the natural world, or the rights of the common man, nothing is sacred.......

Im pretty sure it was the libs that were in power when this all went down in the first place.

Gee, I wonder why we can't get anywhere with this when we are so concerned with heresy points like who the hell was in power when. How about putting our colors aside for the greater good of our passion and for what is right.

Funny blame Harper for what was done over a decade ago. I do like the comparison of wild salmon to buffalo though.

Searun who are we buying quota from? You want us to all pay Jim pattison for some of his? That would make sense if Jim and all the others had to buy it in the first place. That's not what happened it was given to them. Pay them millions for something they got for free? My opinion is the quota was gifted to them its time to re-gift some of it to us.

I don't agree with 2 per day feb-dec though that's just greedy but 1 per day mar - end of oct should be workable. Give the commies whatever is left over.

Back