Haida Gwaii Fishing Forum

Sweet. Most of my fishing is done up there. Specifically, Langara Island. I usually go twice a year and this year my first trip is June 15th.

5984700319_3b0a7943dd.jpg

Ahhhh yes, the west coast of Haida Gwaii (formerly the Queen Charlotte islands).

A word to the wise, stay away. Once you go there you'll be ruined for wanting to fish anywhere else.(WCVI is a close 2nd)

Been there 13 times since the mid 90's. Halibut, lings, solid chrome chinook & coho, sea bass, yelloweye & bait balls 4+ miles across.

One of my best memories was landing a 36 lb chinook on a hand line. It made a tangled mess with another rod when it hit the herring, so we cut the line and instead of threading it back onto the rod I figured I'd give the fish a fighting chance and 5 minutes later, and just a couple very light tugs on the line, it swam right beside the boat and we were able to net it. I don't think that salmon ever knew it was hooked. My wife on the other hand knows that I'm hooked.

Hey Bret--- welcome over to the "bright" side!!!!!! Read lots of your posts on the "other site"

Cheers
CL

Thanks Cuba Libre

Didn't realize I was on the Dark Side, thought that was evrything west of Cape Edenshaw...

Bret

Langara opens to guests on Saturday. Reports should follow shortly. Langara also has a update hotline 1-866-langara. They already have 1 report of the guides fishing this season.

I've already started daydreaming about my upcoming trip. Since there are no reports yet I suggest we post a few of our favorite Haida Gwaii photo's?

Anyhow, this is one of my favorite that I took....

4749062873_3df6386fd4.jpg

Hello from Haida Gwaii. Finally after dreaming for years about one day having the opportunity to fish this historical / legendary area I will soon have lots of time to do so now that I am working here on Langara Island. I have been busy working with the team for just over 2 weeks prepping for a busy season and enjoying every moment this amazing place has to offer. I've heard many stories but truly cant wait to get out and do some old school fishing ....... Cheers ME

I'm jealous! I am counting the days till I get back there.....17!

Are you a guide? Which lodge are you working at? (if you don't mind me asking)

The Langara Haida Gwaii tourney was this week. Some nice Hali's as accidental by-catch shallow in front of lodges, and the biggest salmon was only 30.9lbs

Hello from Haida Gwaii. Finally after dreaming for years about one day having the opportunity to fish this historical / legendary area I will soon have lots of time to do so now that I am working here on Langara Island. I have been busy working with the team for just over 2 weeks prepping for a busy season and enjoying every moment this amazing place has to offer. I've heard many stories but truly cant wait to get out and do some old school fishing ....... Cheers ME

Yes I have moved on to greener pastures. I am not guiding up here I am part of the maintenance team responsible for everything including boats @ Langara Island Lodge. Words cannot express my total happiness in every way. They treat there staff so unbelievably well, food is the best, have the most incredible shop to work in with every tool known to man and the scenery is amazing. The one day off a week and the odd evenings to personally fish is a huge bonus as we have 5 staff boats !!! What more could I ask for ....

Okay yes FISH ON

Cheers ME

Last edited by a moderator:
Back