Gulf Islands 2012

fished thrasher rock yesterday up off silva bay, gabriola but not a sniff in 4 hours. weather was awesome but fishin sucked. still a couple of weeks away from when things pick up apparently. won't be making the run up from galiano to gabriola again until it is guaranteed fish. got lots of prawns to ease the gas bill sting, however.

got out into the strait yesterday, out of Porlier, one solid hit had it on for a bit, deep release. Brought in the biggest rock cod I've seen out there, released. Pretty good bloom going on, clogs up the rod pretty good. nice day though.

Ya the algae bloom is THICK right now. Really clogs up the eyes on the rod, eh? I try to run the line through my fingers when retrieving and then pick off the ball of algae when it builds up but it's still a pain in the butt. Good to hear you got a hit at porlier... i'm sure in 2 weeks we should be expecting multiple springs a day out there. Where did you get your hit? I generally just fishing the flood on the NE side of Galiano but will be fishing porlier more this year so will need to try some new spots.

got out into the strait yesterday, out of Porlier, one solid hit had it on for a bit, deep release. Brought in the biggest rock cod I've seen out there, released. Pretty good bloom going on, clogs up the rod pretty good. nice day though.

Fished the cable area this morning for 3hrs. Got out just after the high slack. Caught a nice 8lb spring on a 3" glow CJ.

Ya the algae bloom is THICK right now. Really clogs up the eyes on the rod, eh? I try to run the line through my fingers when retrieving and then pick off the ball of algae when it builds up but it's still a pain in the butt. Good to hear you got a hit at porlier... i'm sure in 2 weeks we should be expecting multiple springs a day out there. Where did you get your hit? I generally just fishing the flood on the NE side of Galiano but will be fishing porlier more this year so will need to try some new spots.

Sounds like we fish a similar area, it would be nice to see some more fish show up.

ya, still a week or two away I think. when it turns on in early May it really turns on quick and is usually solid for a couple months from thrasher down to galiano. hoping it gets going soon. I'm gonna head over to galiano in 2 weeks and I'll expect it to be decent by then. Look forward to any reports between now and then.

Sounds like we fish a similar area, it would be nice to see some more fish show up.

Nanaimo is just starting to see some nice fish in the high teens to twenties...they have been in French Creek 2 weeks before that, so they should be moving down soon...jus a bit later than last year.

pic from friday mornings fish caught on the 3 inch glo CJ Special squid prototype

Attachments

• IMG_4517.jpg
    IMG_4517.jpg
    95.6 KB · Views: 169
nice clean hatch well done. Had a couple buddies out there today and no hits at all. should be more of those showing up soon though.

Boom! looks like Thrasher Rock (Gabriola) has heated up big time. Lot's of report from the past few days indicating nice springs to be had in good numbers. Looks like they have arrived and will/are working their way towards Porlier/Active area. I'll be fishing in and around porlier/active this weekend so hoping to boat my first of the new season. Anyone been out this week yet? What's be working? I usually mix it up between 3.5-4.0 coyotes spoons (cop car, green glow) and chovie in a teaser head. Had a few great days last year with green spatter back hoochie as well so I think if they are around they will big just about anything. The are pretty aggressive fish this time of year. Looking forward to a warm sunny weekend with a good chance of chrome!

I guess my post in the Vancouver sticky belongs here.....
476485_397283646982686_154328547944865_66824709_389747275_o.jpg

yesterday. Decided to head across the water, north of Thrasher (waterfall?) We only landed the one above, other boats pulled a few in too but generally spotty and slow. All fish were caught between 90-135. White teaser head on chovie worked for mine above. Other guides caught with white hootchie and army truck.

We heard from our guide friends that the hump has significantly improved over the last 2-3 days. Thats where I would target right now. Not worth the trip across the water yet.

Forgot to note: We were in 1200 ft of water, no closer. (same with other boats that reported catching). My fish was in the murky water but others in the morning were in clear.

Nice one! and great news the fish are showing up right on schedule. Has anyone ever fished in the deep water off of Galiano? I usually never go deeper than 250' of water.

Nice one! and great news the fish are showing up right on schedule. Has anyone ever fished in the deep water off of Galiano? I usually never go deeper than 250' of water.

Did that yesterday but in 1200ft of water. Thats where the morning bite was. No structure to follow just depth on charts. The fish wont move closer to shore yet so go out further if you can.

Back