Guiding Insurance and Limitations RE: TUNA

Lol. Way, way cheaper indeed! 25 miles under SVOP ....that's it. Anyone guiding off share beyond that is self insured.

After reading all this stuff-- I know why I buy my albacore at Costco!

Sweet.....my 85 year old grandma gets her albacore from Costco too! Lol

Lol. Way, way cheaper indeed! 25 miles under SVOP ....that's it. Anyone guiding off share beyond that is self insured.

well as I just got off the phone with Ottawa again...which again is not very much help....
Best I could get was close to what most have been saying....
25 miles is the limit for SVOP...so anyone/lodge that is advertising past that has to have another avenue...or the clients are at risk...

That is not completely true. From our lodge in Kyuquot we are able to access a huge part of the best tuna grounds on the coast and we are still operating inside the 25nm boundary. Actually we can access a good chunk of the 1000 fathom line which is the tuna highway on the coast. Brooks peninsula allows us to stay inside the 25nm limit and still be 40 miles from Kyuquot. We are dialed in and ready to go, can't wait...

My conversatioin with Boris Glazar, the Transport Canada inspector went as follows:

I want to take paying clients out fishing for tuna, 40-80 miles offshore.

Boris "Transport Canada has no category for a small craft carrying passengers any further then 25 nautical miles off shore".

Legally, I don't think you can do it with passengers.

That is not completely true. From our lodge in Kyuquot we are able to access a huge part of the best tuna grounds on the coast and we are still operating inside the 25nm boundary. Actually we can access a good chunk of the 1000 fathom line which is the tuna highway on the coast. Brooks peninsula allows us to stay inside the 25nm limit and still be 40 miles from Kyuquot. We are dialed in and ready to go, can't wait...

I've been thinking about this for awhile also... might be the smartest place to fish for tuna in BC..

My conversatioin with Boris Glazar, the Transport Canada inspector went as follows:

I want to take paying clients out fishing for tuna, 40-80 miles offshore.

Boris "Transport Canada has no category for a small craft carrying passengers any further then 25 nautical miles off shore".

Legally, I don't think you can do it with passengers.

just curious what transport canada would have to say about the annual tuna shootout out of bamfield? hope i'm not opening up a can of worms here. i realize the coast guard was out there and everything... just seems to contradict the message from transport canada above...

Hard to follow this thread now that it polluted with Kyuqout tuna charters adds. Arghhhh. There's no guiding at the shoot out so its a non issue.

TC=basically they want a boat greater than 5gt and a 60t ticket for guiding purposes..

personel trips have nothing to do with tc.

for personal trips insurance can be had easily by adding a rider, as long as no-one is paying for the trip.

two totally different aspects when one is personally fishing for tuna, and guiding for tuna.

nobody guides for the bamfield tuna shoot out so your question is politely moot.

Also, a small portion of Clayoquat Canyon is within the 25 mile mark of Hesquate Point while still over 30 miles to the nearest coast guard station. Just sayin. It will be interesting to see what can be done about this. Personally from what I have seen I see no reason not to extend the limit past the current 25 miles. You know how it goes tho, it take one bad apple to ruin it for all of us. I don't guide much tho so I really am not worried about it but I would like to see the opportunities available for the general public. It's such a great experience.

TC=basically they want a boat greater than 5gt and a 60t ticket for guiding purposes..

personel trips have nothing to do with tc.

for personal trips insurance can be had easily by adding a rider, as long as no-one is paying for the trip.

two totally different aspects when one is personally fishing for tuna, and guiding for tuna.

nobody guides for the bamfield tuna shoot out so your question is politely moot.

thxs for clearing it up trophywife,

I have to back peddle on this.....got confirmation in writing that I'm covered for Tuna. Underwriter wrote back to my broker confirming same. Good to go.

I have to back peddle on this.....got confirmation in writing that I'm covered for Tuna. Underwriter wrote back to my broker confirming same. Good to go.

i assuming not for guiding?

Well- Do not disagree with most of the comments on this subject.
Guiding is a Business & should be addressed in every way to meet all regulations & safety standards.
The GOOD NEWS is that if your fishing Albacore Tuna in August & Sept. from Esperanza Inlet Up to Brooks Peninsula the schools of TUNA are seldom over 20 miles out & often at our favorite location at 17miles from shore.
Yes weather is a significant factor when you are going offshore to fish for any species.

Yes insured for guiding well out beyond 25 miles. So where ever the fish are we can get on them.

So being in contravention of TC by guiding you are still insured? Very odd!!

Back