grey whale washed on beach east sooke park

Does anyone know how to get to the whale,Where to park? I would love to show my son if it is still there.
Any info appreciated.
Cheers

Back in the late '70's a dead female Grey washed up on the beach at Jordan River. Jim Darling came down from Tofino and with the help of a local surfer they did an autopsy on it. Pretty weird watching someone cut open a whale with a powersaw.
And yes, it did stink to high heaven until it washed away on a higher tide.
Used to be some baleen from it around the old JR Shell gas station where Shakies established later on.
I also recall one summer when there were a lot of Greys along Juan de Fuca from French Beach all the way to Renfrew. When I went to Tofino to surf I told Jim Darling about that and he was relieved to hear it as he'd been up and down the coast looking for them around Tofino.
Seems like they would visit the Juan de Fuca stretch only once in a while after a major feeding spree in order to allow their food items to replenish themselves before the whales came again. Every little river and stream along that stretch has a buildup of sandy bottom off it and that's where the whales fed. I've actually touched one with my foot while sitting on a surfboard. I paddled out to see how close I could get to them while my girlfriend watched. She freaked a bit when one swam right under me but I dug it.
Neat critters and definitely not man-eaters. LOL.

Take care.

Park at Aylard Farm in East Sooke Park. Then walk down to the beach,
take the trail to the right, you can't miss it. It's between Creyke
Point and Aldridge Point. Be forwarned though, it stinks, and it's a
major circus down there with all the people. My wife and I were there yesteday, some guy had his Llama down at the whale, and some anoying little kid was lying on the whale, hitting it with a stick,
pulling pieces of skin off, generally being a little turd. Don't forget your boots! major mud!It's great to see whales in their natural environment, and not just at curves.

Shake N Bake

Thanks sookeahoola, we found it. A very cool animal to see that up close. My son called it the Dino Fish. Not to many people when we were there in the P.M.

Back