green party ,, your thoughts

chris, excited to hear what the results of that will be...I think that will influence who I vote for on north island as well (although very safe NDP riding).

FS - so you mean "deficit" or "debt" - there's a huge difference. The "debt" has increased over the past number of years primarily due to all of the capital projects that the Province has invested in - the Trade and Convention Centre and the Port Mann Bridge are a couple of examples. It is quite common for governments at all levels to borrow, or use debt financing, to finance major projects such as these - just like most people use debt financing - ie mortgages - to buy their homes. The key for governments, like homeowners, is to be able to service the debt - and the debt to GDP ratio is generally used to determine how a Province is doing in that regard. You can check this, but BC's debt/GDP ratio is one of the lowest in Canada right now which is a good thing.
Now, "deficits" are an entirely different kettle of fish. A Government running a deficit is one who's operational spending - ie non capital expenditures - exceeds it's operational income - ie taxes, royalties, fees etc. The BC Government has been running an operational deficit over the past few years primarily driven by the personal and business income tax reductions implemented early in the Liberal regime as well as the decreases in royalties coming out of the oil and gas industries. While they are forecasting a return to a balanced budget next year (if they are reelected), the NDP are suggesting that the Liberals most recent budget should show a $2 Billion deficit. In spite of this, the NDP have come out with a further $2 billion (and counting) in election promises spending and we're still several weeks away from the election.
So, FS - the point of all of this is that going into debt to invest in capital infrastructure (roads, bridges, schools, hospitals etc) can generally be considered a good thing as long as the debt to GDP ratio does not get out of hand (like Greece, Italy, Ireland et al). Deficit spending is something that may well be necessary in the short term but should be avoided over the long term. My big concern with the Dix led NDP at this point is that if they are right and the Liberal budget is a $2billion deficit rather than balanced, they have already stacked a further $2billion in spending on top of that $2billion deficit - you can do the math.

Looks to me that anything but NDP would be a big mistake. I'd take environment anytime over short sighted oil and gas benefits - huge benefits for a few wealthy and nothing but risks and destruction for BC.

He isn't even the leader yet and he is already promising hundreds of millions in new spending. Most companies are curbing or reducing costs as they wait for profits to return in this extended downturn in the economy. There is no sign yet of any significant improvement on the horizon so spending more money with debt attached is foolish. Only spend for what is absolutely necessary.

as grandpa would say.."jerkin off the dog to feed the cat"

I thought there was a new fetish political party in BC! Lol

In Jamaica they "jerk chickens", or is that "choke the chicken"? :)

Hello

I have spent the past month touring the film Salmon Confidential throughout BC to packed rooms. People are deeply angered by what they hear from the bureaucrats and they want to know what they can do.

As all British Columbians know we are mid-election campaign and thus we have an opportunity to restore democracy, small-town economies and wild salmon. I know many of you dislike politics, but whoever wins will be the driver of the bus you are sitting in and I suspect none of us want to drive over the cliff of wild salmon extinction.

MLA candidates are attending every showing and I hear far more concern from the NDP candidates than the NDP Party. The NDP who are favoured to form the next government of BC came out with a policy statement recently that badly needed a reality check. What does it actually mean and fit with previous statements.

I have provided analysis on my blog, because it is my observation that wild salmon are dying of politics. I don't think we have to lose them, but it is very very clear that if you want wild salmon you need to speak up RIGHT now, before you vote. The current NDP position reads very differently than what they said as recently as March 23, 2013.

http://alexandramorton.typepad.com/alexandra_morton

The tour of Salmon Confidential has been very informative I have spoken with hundreds of people and learned so much. Over 130,000 people have viewed the film, over 30,000 have signed the petition. I am not sure what it takes for the people of BC to get wild salmon protected, but we are not there yet.

Alexandra Morton

All political parties have their warts..........

I can tell you this for sure: It is either going to be Lieberal or NDP who is going to form the next government! Sorry to tell you this but it is a two horse race. Every lieberal supporter will be out voting that's definite. If, like me you are concerned about the environment and you vote green instead of NDP, you will simply split the NDP vote and let the lieberal win! It is going to be a very close race and unfortunately in this Province voter complacency is rampant. I don't suppose more than about 50% of us will bother to vote at all. One thing is for sure, if you don't bother to vote then don't ever complain about what you get!

My biggest beef is the no show's. Let's get people voting again. Go kick your neighbour in the butt lol!

Back