Gravlox

Keta what a lovely fish... :) I have none so King Salmon it will have to be.

I was going to do this after watching the show to try something new. I was going to do 3 pieces and try raspberry and blackberry. I think this would go so well with a cheese plater over the holidays.

Even thought about berries over a piece of salmon over night in the fridge then baking it.

I will give a fillet a try...I'm looking for a traditional one a try if someone has a good one.. cheers :)

Though I still prefer cold smoked..Even better is Islandgirls cold smoked fish.

I did try this one.. It was a bit salty as gravlox often are. I just about lost it when pouring 1/4 cup of gin over it then seeing it go down the sink later. Most of it did pour out of the plastic wrap though well cureing. I would used a Zip-Lock bag or vac. bag next time. A friend told me that thier family would later slice it and stack in a container layered in olive oil with a just a few capers in the mix. Its interesting where gravlax come from copied from this link.

Gravlax is the traditional cured salmon, the name literally means “grave salmon”, as fishermen would bury their catch in the sand just above the high-tide line. The salt in the sand would cure and preserve the salmon.

http://www.loveandoliveoil.com/2012/04/homemade-gravlax.html

I've made gravlox many times. The "standard" recipe is:
1) Make a 50/50 mixture of canning salt and table sugar.
2) Grind in some fresh black pepper to taste (in my mind, the more the better)
3) Place the fish in a glass dish. Cover with above mixture. Cover that with a layer of fresh dill.
4) Overlay this with saran wrap and put another glass dish on top of that. Put something heavy in the top glass dish. A brick or two works as does some canned food.
5) Place the assembly in the fridge for approximately 24hrs - thick pieces take a little more time, thin pieces less.
6) Pull it out and rinse off the salt/sugar mix.
7) Slice it thin and eat with good bagels and cream cheese.

If the above is too salty for your taste, adjust the mixture to have a greater percentage of sugar - I usually am at about 40% salt, 60% sugar.

Back