grady white 218

barkerfam

All y'all,
The new grady 218 is very interesting to me, but im having a hard time imaginig how to mount a kicker. here is a pic of the stern:
2023-Grady-218-Adventure-05.jpg

the port side has the similar shape but no ladder.

How would i mount a kicker???

Thanks

Howard

slap on a transom platform bracket lots out there made

It’s a bit of work when both engines are not inline on the transom lip. Kicker tie rods get harder to connect unless you go the hydraulic route.

I like to troll on the kicker and will definitely go the hydraulic route. Was a huge upgrade when i did that on my previous boat.

appreciate the feedback. thank you!

hb

If it trolls too fast just toss a drift sock out the side. Don't see how your going to mount a kicker on that without it looking completely hideous.

If it trolls too fast just toss a drift sock out the side. Don't see how your going to mount a kicker on that without it looking completely hideous.
They seem to be making that model too pretty now with the swim grids at the back, more of a family boat, any kicker mount would be a severe compromise.

Last edited:
They seem to be making that model too pretty now with the swim grids at the back, more of a family host, any kicker mount would be a severe compromise.

Nice looking for sure.

Look at how the swim platform is angled. Not nice for mounting things on. You would have major steering issues with a kicker as well. I'd say it's not even worth trying. Beautiful built boat. Great lake boat or sunny day 2 man fishing boat.

******* gradys with their ski boat windshields lol

Was looking at the new 30'+ Pursuits at a pre-COVID Vancouver Boat Show. I know you are talking kicker but also think about downrigger mounting. That swim grid may be a bit tough when doing a turn or in a sideways current/tidal flow.

The newer 31' and 33' Pursuits have the same idea as a grid and a buddy and I looked at them for a long time and basically figured that it would be too easy to keep cutting downrigger cables. Where you would have to mount riggers would be tough unless you mounted them aft on the transom.

In 15 years all that nice powder coated aluminum framework will be flaking off and what a resell nightmare for the west coast

That Grady is apparently a 2023 “new” model, perhaps explaining what seems to be a move to a broader consumer boat vs a dedicated sport fishing boat. Here are some other transom pics further showing the aforementioned kicker mounting requirements.

4C34E96C-FBC8-4243-BC3E-2587A1534142.jpeg59A2F88A-20DA-4F27-A94D-553CD338F5A9.jpegA6DFB12F-A2EB-4561-9A24-F8089EA7DAF6.jpeg

I appreciate all of the responses.

I had a 2004 trophy 2002 which I bought new and over time decked out. We used it for fishing, tubing, etc. 95% was used in the salt with fishing activities. Decided I wanted a bigger boat so bought a Pursuit 2870 from a member. Lovely boat. The ride is amazing and the dance floor is right out of a disco. But, it may be too big for me. It is VERY difficult to launch by myself.

So I've been looking for another walk around. I love having a cuddy. This boat checks many of my boxes, but does have some interesting quirks. There are very few NEW walkarounds available. Would like to buy new and maintain. I've found I'm much better at maintenance than I am at repairs.

HB

Could pickup a nice little mid 2000s 228 without all this bs, repower and still be 1/3 the cost of this weird bird.
Great option but the cuddy is too short for me to sleep in and loses 6" of beam (not a ton, but something).

Look at how the swim platform is angled. Not nice for mounting things on. You would have major steering issues with a kicker as well. I'd say it's not even worth trying. Beautiful built boat. Great lake boat or sunny day 2 man fishing boat.
Its the angle that worries me.

I think this would be more than capable than my previous trophy 2002 and I fished that offshore of WCVI yearly. Usually with 5 people (3-4 adults) on the boat.

Back