GPS

B

BOJANGLE

2 questions guys ... these GPS's that are the " Automotive " Type.. do they work just as well on the water ? Probably a dumb question, but thought maybe they were programmed for streets, etc..and....
do units come with certain charts,maps etc, programmed in, or do you buy chips for the area you want ?
There is a couple of Lowrance LCX 104C 's on Ebay at good prices...

I don't know anything about the automotive question, but as far as I know, GPS plotter units just come with a VERY bare bones chart on them. This is the way that my unit came. You could use them to navigate with, but in my opinion, the charts are worth their weight in gold. Being able to follow depth contours when fishing offshore is great, and I think that I definitely catch more fish besause of it.

Fish Wish

quote:
2 questions guys ... these GPS's that are the " Automotive " Type.. do they work just as well on the water ? Probably a dumb question, but thought maybe they were programmed for streets, etc..and....
do units come with certain charts,maps etc, programmed in, or do you buy chips for the area you want ?
There is a couple of Lowrance LCX 104C 's on Ebay at good prices...

Depends on the unit. Some support all forms of data (city/hiway, marine and toppo). Some units use chips as the data source while others need to be uploaded via computer. These data sources are usualy extra $$

Sorry but I'm not familular w/ the Lowrance line, but should be easy to figure out by looking up their website.

Hope this helps.

Some like it rough...
Others just puke!.

Mr. Dean

Back