gold river boat launch

In August were heading to Port Eliza. It's a haul by boat from Gold River launch but should be scenic run in morning.... Sounds like you beat the sxxx out of your boat going on that road. Not sure I would trailer mine in there.

In August were heading to Port Eliza. It's a haul by boat from Gold River launch but should be scenic run in morning.... Sounds like you beat the sxxx out of your boat going on that road. Not sure I would trailer mine in there.
That run up Tahsis Inlet and thru the Narrows is spectacular. Way easier than trying to trailer. And I suspect cost wise the same…..because trailering means lots of spare parts and potential breakage costs. Peace of mind and the scenery makes it good value.

Last edited:
That run up Tahsis Inlet and thru the Narrows is spectacular. Way easier than trying to trailer. And I suspect cost wise the same…..because trailering means lots of spare parts and potential breakage costs. Peace of mind and the scenery makes its good value.

Yeah thats why we are doing it.....

Sounds like a fun trip. This has been on my radar for awhile now. Going to make it happen in the next couple years!

That trip’s on my bucket list as well. I fished out of Rodgers every other year with clients and my son up until 2017 when overbooking finally degraded the experience enough to just stop going.
Now that the place is under new management and I’m on the Island I’d really like to do a BYOB trip there. I have my first BYOB trip planned for Bamfield this summer though.
I’d boat out of GR as well because the other negative to trailering on gravel in the summer is the coat of dust on your boat that turns to a coat of mud the next dewy morning.
I’ll be looking forward to your reports.

Done this trip a couple times and it's the best trip we ever do. Fish from Gold River to just south of Union Island weather permitting. Catch and Release on way up and Keep on the way back. 5 days living on the boat on the hook. can't wait to do it again.

Done this trip a couple times and it's the best trip we ever do. Fish from Gold River to just south of Union Island weather permitting. Catch and Release on way up and Keep on the way back. 5 days living on the boat on the hook. can't wait to do it again.

Yeah will be fun. We will be up there 4 nights, and going with caravan of boats. None of us have been there before. New for us all.

How steep is the launch itself? I was wondering if it would be a problem launching with a 26ft motorhome at high tide with a 19ft boat. The pictures I've seen makes it look pretty do able. Rather not tow the boat all the way to cougar creek.

How steep is the launch itself? I was wondering if it would be a problem launching with a 26ft motorhome at high tide with a 19ft boat. The pictures I've seen makes it look pretty do able. Rather not tow the boat all the way to cougar creek.
It’s steeper than most ramps I’ve personally used. The reason I know this is it’s always a challenge for me to get my boat winched back up and seated into the trailers upright winch bumper. I’m always in 4 wheel drive low when I load up the boat and drive up the ramp. I don’t think you’d have a problem with a 26 ft motor home tho. The grade is quite well engineering where it transitions to the road. Are you worried about bottoming out or being able to power up the hill?

It’s steeper than most ramps I’ve personally used. The reason I know this is it’s always a challenge for me to get my boat winched back up and seated into the trailers upright winch bumper. I’m always in 4 wheel drive low when I load up the boat and drive up the ramp. I don’t think you’d have a problem with a 26 ft motor home tho. The grade is quite well engineering where it transitions to the road. Are you worried about bottoming out or being able to power up the hill?
Power should be fine but worried about slippage and not having 4x4.

you’ll be fine but i wouldn’t flirt with a super low tide. if you’re trying to time it it’s about 1 1/2 hours towing a boat from CR.

I don’t think that’ll be an issue. There’s always people around who could assist by pulling you up in the worst case. Remember it’s mostly fresh water there so not a lot of slime and growth on the ramp normally.

As others have said you will be fine especially on that size boat. My biggest issue has been that the steepness makes it harder for me to get the boat back on the trailer straight and level. I absolutely hate being “that guy” driving down the road with the boat not sitting pretty on the trailer. Lol.

Gold River Boat Launch question......
What is depth at (0.0) zero tide? (Mean Low) I have read it's 4ft. Can anyone confirm?
I know they made some improvements to the docks but I always get stressed by this launch! Thanks

0.0 ft tide is basically bare rocks, suitable for launching canoes and kayaks. People who know the channel out from the ramp can launch on about a 1.5 tide in a sub 20 ft boat. The bigger the boat over that, you want at least a 3 ft to maybe 6 feet tide for the bigger ones that are showing up there. There are a few good nuggets in the channel that have been known to bend props and scrape paint off unsuspecting hulls. The less you are familiar with the channel, the more water you want and need. Also, at a really low tide, it’s pretty easy to drop the trailer wheels off the end of the concrete ramp onto the rocks. Never a real good idea.
That all being said, the ramp and docks are excellent, and the parking lot is good too.

Last edited:
I heard that this last winter that more sediment was pushed down the river. I haven’t launched yet this year, but was told look for 4 feet minimum. I pulled my boat out in a 1.5 ft tide last July and won’t ever do that again. Watch out for the boulder on the ramp side of the float plane dock. It’s not middle channel but off to the right as you head out of river. At low tide it is visible. Not so much at higher tides. I always keep my motor tilted up.

Perhaps someone with skills and knowledge could diagram what G.Earth is showing. Plus farther out.
Last year we had coffee in town and launched when it seemed high enough. Had a bow guy watching.Screenshot_20230612-185452.png

1686622603316.png
Does this help

Back