GM integrated trailer brake controller

pescador

Just bought a new tow vehicle. 2013 Suburban. Its got the factory trailer brake controller on the dash. Anybody out there with a newer GM using the integrated trailer brake controller to pull a trailer with electric over hydraulic brakes? The manual says "connecting a trailer with surge,air or elec over hydralic trailer brakes may result in reduced or complete loss of trailer braking". WTF...... one of the reasons I bought the SUV was for this feature. It states the controller is for electrical brakes. Anyone out there with a newer GM who's got experience with this issue?

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm running brakerite electric over hydraulic brakes with the factory controller on a 2013 chev duramax. I had to install a couple electric brake magnets in the circuit. (wired them in but just bolted loose to the frame of my trailer near the brakerite unit) in order for it to work. think it needs to see the resistance from the magnets or something to that effect. works well now though. it was either that or use an aftermarket controller. kinda defeats the purpose of the factory controller then. and the factory one is better since it works directly (gets its signal from) using the input from the brake vacuum booster. so faster since it's not relying on inertia from the tow vehicle slowing down in order for the brake module to work....

Pescador,
I have a 2013 with integrated and converted my trailer to elec/hyd and the integrated would not recognize or power the electric pump, I did exactly as posted above too, first hit princess auto up for a couple electric brake magnets 30$, wired them into the trailer up on the tongue as the integrated requires feed back resistance to operate, my elec/hyd works perfect, takes about half an hour or less to install and your all set. pm me if you like and I'll snap a picture for you, you will love the integrated system, way better then any aftermarket controller I ever had

Hi,I used the Carlisle control adapter module for hydra star electric-hydraulic brake actuator. Was easy to install and works fine. The code number is HBA-CAM.

what type of eoh brake system are you using? I think brakerite has a similar adapter you can plug in to make it work...

I almost bought the adapter you refer to, but then just went with the magnets. was in a hurry (and it was cheaper... hehe). but that adapter should work just fine. looks like you're using the same system as me...

I have the brake rite II brake unit. Got their adapter for my 2011 Silverado. Worked fine for the first couple of hours, then become totally unreliable. Seems once it cooled down, or unhooked for a few hours, it would work again. Got the second one, something. Ended up getting Prodigy aftermarket. Works great!
Ted

Ted, that's what worries me. I've heard about reliability issues with those adapters on a couple of other sites.

Back