Glow In the dark lures

S

scoopy

Hi all,

what are all your thoughts on glowing Salmon lures? Do you find they are more effective or about the same as your non-glowing variety?

i've had days when you can throw ANYTHING that glows down and catch fish, hootchie, spoon, plug anything. Then some days not so much. Deffinately a worth while lure to keep in the box. And at 3$ for a glo hootchie its not a terrible loss if you dont use it that often.

glo teaser heads i've even heard good things about, glo flashers i use quite often with good success, and some people use glo cannon balls.

There is something to the "glow". I've had days when the glow was the ticket.

However some old half chrome and half brass Tom Macks certainly worked for me last trip out.

3.5 size on a 5 foot leader behind an O'ki "Viper" flasher.

Occasionally, I attach small "glo-sticks" to hootchies and even to anchovies. You know... the kind that kids use for their "glo-in-the-dark partys"! [:eek:)] The smallest kind are about 30 mm long 2 mm thick. They give way better light than the glow-in-the-dark lures. And yes... I've had days when the salmon will bite on nothing but the glowing stuff - especially chinook and especially before sunrise!! I know this because I've run non-glowing anchovies on one side and glow on the other and have had days when ALL the bites have been on the glow side! Some days it doesn't appear to make any diffenrence but some days they definitely prefer the glowing ones! Purple and green seem to work best!;)

And yes... it is LEGAL. These glow-sticks are not electrically powered (it's a chemical reaction - similar to the "glow-in-the-dark lures") and well within the required ONE METER from the hook.

Unlike the "glow-in-the-dark lures" though, glow-sticks are "disposble" and don't last very long in cold water! That means if the fish is scattered and sparse... it's still hard to attract them. You have to still find the fish... it's NEVER going to be the other way around! [8D]

Cheers...
Oppi

I like the glo hootchies... but I think use of the glo-sticks seems a little over the top. Not sure why.

I remember seeing a fishing show where they used old flash cubes to charge up their glo lures. Really worked well.... hard to find flash cubes any more though!

quote:Originally posted by Pablo2079

I remember seeing a fishing show where they used old flash cubes to charge up their glo lures. Really worked well.... hard to find flash cubes any more though!
I bought a cheap flash attachment for a digital camera cost around $10 @ Leo's Cameras works like a charm.

I saw a glow tomic plug was successful for reeling in a nice summer chinook but other days, it wasn't successful, changed tomic plug into non-glow colour.

Back