getting someone elses crab catch

Marcoxcx

hello everybody...

i have a simple question, not sure the answer.

if i go out just offshore to catch crabs in my kayak, and i have 2 traps in MY name each with 4 keeper crab when i pull them up.. am i allowed to take 4 for my limit and then also take 4 and give to my wife for her limit? we both have licences

we both keep to our limit........but she cant go in kayak so i do it for her.. she is on the beach waiting while i am on water.. i am just giving extra crab from my traps to give for her limit.

thanks
M

buy a dog get him a license take him on the kayak
you can then both have your possession limit.......:p
not sure that would fly but hey tech its abiding by the rules
don't say a dog or pet can't have a fishing License......
otherwise paddle out once a day just for your catch
8 crab a day x7 days a week = 56 do you really need ?????
with your catch its 4 a day X7 =28

what you can do is keep the crabs in the traps, get the traps to shore get your wife to take out her limit, take out yours, rebait, and throw back. There's no law stating you cannot move a crab trap while there are crabs in it, and if the trap is in the water, the crabs aren't in your possession yet.

what you can do is keep the crabs in the traps, get the traps to shore get your wife to take out her limit, take out yours, rebait, and throw back. There's no law stating you cannot move a crab trap while there are crabs in it, and if the trap is in the water, the crabs aren't in your possession yet.

Ya I don't think that would fly. Once you pull the trap, you are now in possesion of the crabs in the trap. Just because you've got a metal cage around your catch doesn't change anything.

Buy a double kayak for crabbing?

Paddle ashore after pulling the first trap and send her out to pull the second trap?

Just thinking...

Not sure about that one?
Let me see how you explain how you pulled a trap and are only moving it to shore for your wife? I am thinking, the first thing they will do is look at that trap and how it is marked? If the trap is marked in your name, will they nail you for being over limit? I think so! If the trap is in another's name (including your wife) they certainly can nail you for pulling another's trap (even your wife's), even to "move" it to shore! However you look at it, that trap is still in your possession and there certainly is a law that states:

"You are not allowed to fish any trap gear for crab, shrimp, prawn or octopus that is marked with the name of any other person. You may only fish gear which you have marked with your name in accordance with the regulations"

All I can say is - GOOD LUCK!

Why not take four to shore, hand them off to your wife, who has a license, then go back for your four. You only ever possessed four at any one time, plus you get some extra paddling. I doubt if any Conservation Officer would have a problem. Heck they'd have to be pretty anal and be watching you so they could say she never pulled the trap. I've found them to be pretty reasonable.

As for the name on the float, I don't know that it has to be full name or surname?

Last edited by a moderator:
Or just keep 4. One crab a person is a pretty good feed. 8 crabs is a lot of work.

I see dudes who live on the beach taking there wife's limit while she's still in bed. Pretty tough to nail and they know it. Same guys that blame the immigrants who scour "their" beaches for wiping out the crabs.

Anybody fish non tidal salmon and see one of these guys catching and giving away there catch? I always thought if a guy wanted to give away a perfectly good fish that it was his own deal. As long as the receiver recorded it on their license. Now I'm not so sure. Sorry for the hijack.

Or just keep 4. One crab a person is a pretty good feed. 8 crabs is a lot of work.

I see dudes who live on the beach taking there wife's limit while she's still in bed. Pretty tough to nail and they know it. Same guys that blame the immigrants who scour "their" beaches for wiping out the crabs.

Why not put one trap in you name and one in your wives then you go out and bring in your trap, go back to the beach, trade spots with you wife, and let her retreive her own trap?

Why not take four to shore, hand them off to your wife, who has a license, then go back for your four. You only ever possessed four at any one time, plus you get some extra paddling. I doubt if any Conservation Officer would have a problem. Heck they'd have to be pretty anal and be watching you so they could say she never pulled the trap. I've found them to be pretty reasonable.

As for the name on the float, I don't know that it has to be full name or surname?

There is a daily limit and a possession limit. Once your possession limit is reached you are done.

Seen this before with a guy fishing off the pier. Guy has a bucketful gets on phone wife in BMW comes down to dock puts crab in bag guy puts trap back. Crab goes to westaurant. Sad. Called RAPP many times but have yet to see them nail someone. How many crab does one guy eat they are bottom feeders anyways and consumption should be limited. 8 crabs is rather unnecessary. Just my opinion.

There is a daily limit and a possession limit. Once your possession limit is reached you are done.

Yeah I agree! The possession limit for two people with licenses is twice that of one person .

The spirit of the regulation is in place to promote ethical retention. If folks want to find ways to get more seafood, go to the supermarket, but stay within the regs as they are written instead of trying to find loopholes so you can have a crabfest dinner party or make copious amounts of broth. You may not be trying to do this Marcoxcx, but others do, and that's the reality.

I agree! I looked at this as a couple who occasionally take out their kayak to catch a few crab so I don't see a problem. If they were doing it every day that would be different. How do guides get around this?

The "how can I get more than the regs really allow" attitudes and efforts described by some here are troubling for the health of the oceans and its bounty. Government resources are largely devoted to enforcing the commercial regulations. As we all know, it's unaffordable and therefore impossible for the regulators to be everywhere, or even many, of the places people fish and crab. As such, the system largely depends on the honour system, i.e. that people will follow the rules because they understand that's it the right thing to do for the resource. People who don't abide by the honour system are a threat to the resources. A person thinks the resource can withstand their over-harvest; problem is, if everyone thinks that, then the resource is in serious trouble. Think about it.

Back