getting someone elses crab catch

I agree! I looked at this as a couple who occasionally take out their kayak to catch a few crab so I don't see a problem. If they were doing it every day that would be different. How do guides get around this?
The ethical ones DON'T. The regs require each able bodied fisher to have their own pots and pull their own pots. It's that simple. Anything else is poaching according to the regs.

Yeah I agree! The possession limit for two people with licenses is twice that of one person .
But when you pulled your crab, you reached your daily limit. Any more and you are over limit for the day. Would be like you go out, catch a keeper Hali, give it to the wife on the dock, and then go catch another. You are allowed one keeper a day.

To Eroyd - only go crabbing once in a while, so we like to put a few in the freezer for another day. we usually eat 2 each at dinner. that is why looking to EACH get our limit. not more though. we don't take more than allowed.

To KV1 and Saxe point - not sure why your panties are in a bunch.. not trying to get around regulation.. my wife has broken back and cant sit and paddle so its only me, that is why i am asking to find ways to help her. simple question to see what is allowed to help her get limit instead of dock fishing. thanks for your input, but NO THANKS.

everyone else who was helpful, thank you! i will try what Ziggy has said. i will open first trap and bring her 4, then i will get second try and get myself 4. it is the same as her getting them, just she cant with her back problems.

To Eroyd - only go crabbing once in a while, so we like to put a few in the freezer for another day. we usually eat 2 each at dinner. that is why looking to EACH get our limit. not more though. we don't take more than allowed.

To KV1 and Saxe point - not sure why your panties are in a bunch.. not trying to get around regulation.. my wife has broken back and cant sit and paddle so its only me, that is why i am asking to find ways to help her. simple question to see what is allowed to help her get limit instead of dock fishing. thanks for your input, but NO THANKS.

everyone else who was helpful, thank you! i will try what Ziggy has said. i will open first trap and bring her 4, then i will get second try and get myself 4. it is the same as her getting them, just she cant with her back problems.

It doesn't matter what your personal circumstances are, health, age, the fact you only go crabbing once in awhile, the rules are the rules. But, you seem like a nice fellow, and Ziggy has your back, so all is well I guess.

Last edited by a moderator:
It doesn't matter what your personal circumstances are, health, age, the fact you only go crabbing once in awhile, the rules are the rules. But, you seem like a nice fellow, and Ziggy has your back, so all is well I guess.

i am going to try like Ziggy said to do it legal, i just have to do extra paddling on kayak..

i do not want to break or bend rules for special circumstance, just want to do it right so i come here to ask for help how to. that is all.

i just do not apprciate when these people i do not knoww say to me "he taking too many crabs, finding ways to get around regulation... seen this before it is sick taking crabs to restaurant.. trying to break rules" i am doing none of this and i dont want to

You are breaking the law my friend pure and simple the minute you put 8 crab in your kayak. If you said bring 4 up drop them off to your wife then go pull the other 4 up that would be a different story. But that would make for two trips. Surely it would be worth the effort;)

The ethical ones DON'T. The regs require each able bodied fisher to have their own pots and pull their own pots. It's that simple. Anything else is poaching according to the regs.
So guides put the guests names on the guests pots and make them pull them?

Whose name is on the float,the guides or the guests? If it isn't the guests then......? Are guides putting a guests name on the float?,Yeah, I think not, so this problem is perhaps bigger than one would think! I don't agree with anyone taking more than they need or is legal, but by your definition any guide who uses his pots, pulls them and gives them to his guests is a poacher! C'mon!

No the guide is not breaking the law. If it is like California, the people on the boat have to assist in the pulling. Either measuring crab, baiting pots, or counting how many crab. The guide still owns and are his pots, but just like you out with your buddy, you are pulling your identified pot, but buddy is still helping. Guy in kayak, is taking more than his DAILY limit if he does two trips, taking 4 crab each time.

No the guide is not breaking the law. If it is like California, the people on the boat have to assist in the pulling. Either measuring crab, baiting pots, or counting how many crab. The guide still owns and are his pots, but just like you out with your buddy, you are pulling your identified pot, but buddy is still helping. Guy in kayak, is taking more than his DAILY limit if he does two trips, taking 4 crab each time.

Here its quite clear you can't fish a pot that has someone else's name on it. So by the letter of the law if the guides name is on the float he is the fisher. In that case, his limit is four per day for his boat and he is gifting his catch to his clients, like our kayak friend right?
At any rate enough splitting hairs, as a person who seldom keeps their limit of anything, I agree that the personal limit should be plenty. I answered the question based on my understanding of this individuals circumstances. I do not support breaking the rules.

I sometimes go out with only one trap with two licenced fisherman on board, am I only allowed to keep 4 crabs or are we allowed 8.

The limits are for each licenced fisher that are fishing. The number of pots/rods used are irrelevant if the total # is within legal numbers. The OP's wife is not with him in the vessel so she is not fishing with him on the vessel. To me that means he can only keep a limit of four crabs. Even though she has a licence he cannot bring four crabs back for her. My wife & three daughters all have tidal licences. It does not mean I can bring home 20 crabs when I fish alone in my vessel. Does not matter if they are at the dock or at home.

Of OP is arguing that his wife is fishing her pot, the only way I see this being "legal" would be for her pot to have enough rope to reach shore where she could "manage" it with help. If so please use a weighted rope for the safety of other users.

This from the DFO site.Shellfish:

"Traps and Rings
You are not allowed to fish any trap gear for crab, shrimp, prawn or octopus that is marked with the name of any other person. You may only fish gear which you have marked with your name in accordance with the regulations"

So technically whoever's name is on the float is the fisher, with a daily limit right? No matter how many licenses are on the boat, unless they individually have their names on a float that boat can only legally have four crab?

If I catch 3 dungeness crabs and 1 rock crab = 4 crabs that I possession 4 crabs on my licensed. Is that correct?

This from the DFO site.Shellfish:

"Traps and Rings
You are not allowed to fish any trap gear for crab, shrimp, prawn or octopus that is marked with the name of any other person. You may only fish gear which you have marked with your name in accordance with the regulations"

So technically whoever's name is on the float is the fisher, with a daily limit right? No matter how many licenses are on the boat, unless they individually have their names on a float that boat can only legally have four crab?

No, who ever's name is on the trap is the fisher with the daily limit. I have name tags on my (prawn) traps for friends that are using my traps. The floats have my name and phone number on them.

No, who ever's name is on the trap is the fisher with the daily limit. I have name tags on my (prawn) traps for friends that are using my traps. The floats have my name and phone number on them.

Not quite Bruce. You can have a nice little white floating plastic tag with the fishers name on it clipped to a "dummy" float with no name on it. Another option is to just cover the float name with some duct tape and write the fishers name on that. No rule against using someone else's gear. Still doesn't help the OP. That's fishing and the rules are in place to protect the resource people :). Not to inconvenience you :rolleyes:. We have some of the most liberal fishing opportunities in the world. Cherish them, fight for them, and protect them for our future generations :cool:. Please don't ***** about them.

OK so either the traps have to have different individual name tags on them or if not the floats. I also note the regs state only one name may be associated with the traps. This being the case ,aren't yours with your friends name on the tag and your name on the float an example of two names being associated with the trap?

Back