gas powered prawn puller

bones

trying to built a gas powered prawn puller. have a question: does anyone have one?
i was going to buy a small import gas motor (150$) and bolt a pulley to the output shaft. will it have enough torque with out gear reduction? i see picture of honda powered pullers but they all look to have a gear reduction. wondering if this is required.

opinions? thanks

Buy a Honda motor and it won't let you down you would want gear reduction unless you wanna pull traps in 10 seconds lol

trying to built a gas powered prawn puller. have a question: does anyone have one?
i was going to buy a small import gas motor (150$) and bolt a pulley to the output shaft. will it have enough torque with out gear reduction? i see picture of honda powered pullers but they all look to have a gear reduction. wondering if this is required.

opinions? thanks
Yes I have a 5 hp Briggs and Straton with a 6 to 1 gear reduction. Used for getting bitumen up to roofs for tarring. Fabulous but can be dangerous--it never stalls out so you have to be careful.Fairly quick and never saw a string I couldn't pull!!

so the gear reduction is there for only speed not torque? could i not slow it down with throttle? thoughts?
honda motors are more expensive than princess auto imports buying an ace puller is cheaper and with the amount of time that it gets used plus the salt water....... just looking for somthing cheap. like weld a plate on a davit bolt a motor on and then figure out the pulley dia. so it not coming in like you said. thoughts?

so the gear reduction is there for only speed not torque? could i not slow it down with throttle? thoughts?
honda motors are more expensive than princess auto imports buying an ace puller is cheaper and with the amount of time that it gets used plus the salt water....... just looking for somthing cheap. like weld a plate on a davit bolt a motor on and then figure out the pulley dia. so it not coming in like you said. thoughts?
The gear reduction is there for both- you cannot throttle a gas motor down low enough and still retain torque. Go to industrial rentals and see if you can buy a roofing motor with reduction-they use them to pull heavy loads up the sides of buildings typically roofing tar. That's what this is and I've used it for 20 years with just yearly maintenance.

Last edited:
thanks, i just ask before i buy and it does have the muscles to yank em up. do you think just using a larger pulley will slow it down? that is basically reducing? no?
1" output shaft to a 24" pully. thoughts?

thank you

Are you talking using a belt drive with two pulleys? Because if you aren't and are thinking the pulley onto the motor shaft that ain't gonna work my man

Unfortunately I am down in Baja for the winter and I don't believe I have a picture of it on my computer. It in not a buckshee rig-it is a purpose built transmission bolted directly onto the motor .No pulleys and you just put a warping head onto the spline much like the Scotty puller. You take several wraps around that over a davit with a 6 inch pulley to the traps. I have even pulled a commercial string who had laid over top of me . So no problem ever with lack of power!!

No belts, gas pot pullers have a Honda motor mounted to a davit. Where the output shaft is. There's a gear drive 6:1. On the output shaft is a small dia. Pulley.
I do not use a puller very often and trying a DIY. Basically 179cc motor $150.00 mount it on davit. I never noticed the gear drive till last week. I was thinking the reduction was for torque. There's not much on internet so thought I'd try here.

A two pulley system with a belt is by far going to be the cheapest, but an actual enclosed gearbox is way preferable for a number of reasons. I'm sure you could find a reasonably priced one with a bit of time with our friend google

A two pulley system with a belt is by far going to be the cheapest, but an actual enclosed gearbox is way preferable for a number of reasons. I'm sure you could find a reasonably priced one with a bit of time with our friend google
I got mine at a building supply rental place in coquitlam-they rent stuff to building contractors- they are still there 20 years later!!

wont a capston work on the shaft my buddys got one he built and he just pulls as fast as he wants to and it pulls no problem
Yes! but it is also called a warping head as well as a non-PC head and you pull as fast or slow as you want> Having said that you cannot let it slip for too long as it will melt nylon rope!

Be very careful with a gas puller - they eat fingers
Stosh
Yes they do--ask Striper Sniper-he got nipped badly by mine and as I said in an earlier post they are so strong that they will not stall if something is jammed--say your hand!!! OR a loose piece of clothing!!

Last edited:
This looks like a simple build bones ,think they're running it slow .. some good speed to it .. check out link or 5-1

That has a 6-1 or possibly a 5-1 gear reduction-same as mine on the end of the spline with a capstan or warping head onto the gear reducer. Looks similar to my set-up except my motor is mounted on a slide mount on the gunnel. The Davit and pulley are about the same.

Back