Prawn Puller stolen - caught on video

I never understand why people don’t stow their gear away at the end of the day. You see it at every marina. Boats with 5-6g worth of rods in the launchers, riggers/ pullers out on display. Not saying it’s ok to take something just because it’s left out, just saying the thief probably knew the puller was there and came back to take it.

It just sucks to make a claim and have to deal with knowing your stuff isn’t safe.
I agree. A few years back, the boat in the slip next to me had his riggers and some other stuff stolen off his boat as he leaves them mounted. If you leave your gear out and mounted, you are not only advertising for the thieves to rob your boat, but also attracting them to the marina and to other boats or to your driveway and home. I also have seen boats left at the marina unattended with the riggers mounted and rods, with Islanders left in the rocket launchers. I agree, though, if you leave pullers and riggers mounted, at least use tamper resistant bolts etc. One wonders if a small GPS tracking system could be developed and hidden on the riggers that draws on the plug in 12 volt power and then switches to small battery power when disconnected, to allow the thieves to be tracked down.

I never understand why people don’t stow their gear away at the end of the day. You see it at every marina. Boats with 5-6g worth of rods in the launchers, riggers/ pullers out on display. Not saying it’s ok to take something just because it’s left out, just saying the thief probably knew the puller was there and came back to take it.

It just sucks to make a claim and have to deal with knowing your stuff isn’t safe.

Some people don't have cuddys.

You aren't wrong but it's hard for some of us who grew up in a different time to accept that the world will never be the way it was again. My wife gives me **** all the time for not locking the house if I'm just making a "quick trip" to town or for leaving the keys in the ignition of my truck and then forgetting about them for a day or two. It's just the life some of us really miss and don't want to let go of. Sorry about your prawn puller Al Aboard.

I agree. A few years back, the boat in the slip next to me had his riggers and some other stuff stolen off his boat as he leaves them mounted. If you leave your gear out and mounted, you are not only advertising for the thieves to rob your boat, but also attracting them to the marina and to other boats or to your driveway and home. I also have seen boats left at the marina unattended with the riggers mounted and rods, with Islanders left in the rocket launchers. I agree, though, if you leave pullers and riggers mounted, at least use tamper resistant bolts etc. One wonders if a small GPS tracking system could be developed and hidden on the riggers that draws on the plug in 12 volt power and then switches to small battery power when disconnected, to allow the thieves to be tracked down.
they could be made out of smart phone parts. For the boat itself you could install a pay as you go simcard and not activate it. Put that sim card in an old phone and activate the 'phone my phone' feature (both android and iphone) then hide it well inside the body of the boat. The phone should be connected to wifi while at the marina and can be set to give an alert or alarm if it is moved out of an area.

Then if you activate the simcard on the company website *such as public mobile or other pay as you go. Once the sime is activated the phone can then send its gps signal via cell phone/data in real time. phone should be pluged into 12v power but even if the theif turns off power the phone should still have enough battery for a few days. Once you get the location pass it onto the police.

If a sim card and mother board could be made small enough you could hide it in the body of the downriggers or puller and only have to activate the sim when stolen. no need to pay monthly for the service.

Back