Garmin TR-1 Gold Autopilot

High Time

Crew Member
Am considering one of these units and wondered if I could get some feedback on other folks experiences. Good or bad. Also wondering if there are any suggestions on who in the lower mainland has experience installing
these units as it sounds like a proper install is critical. Thanks.

I had one professionally installed brand new by a certified Garmin installer. Came with a two year warranty, and boy did I need it. If I recall, the issues I encountered were:

- replaced the ECU twice due to random ‘it just stopped working’ moments. $600 part if not under warranty.
- total hydraulic fluid loss due to leaky pump.
-software once decided without my permission to give it Max throttle, right when I was fishing tight along a shoreline. Had to snap the throttle line (braid) with the tiller handle to avoid putting the boat onto the rocks.
-multiple broken throttle lines, no clue why.
-twice loss of steering due to broken weld on bracket that hydraulic arm attaches to. Sheering force from all the rapid motor movement eventually snaps the weld.
-wired remote stopped working, had to replace.
-would lose its compass calibration frequently
-replaced the compass ball
- probably a few more issues I can remember.

The damn thing was always broken.

After 2 year warranty was up the issues continued so I sold it broken on Craigslist and switched to a rear steering station (which BTW was only $500 more) and have never looked back.

I used my TR1 in the salt, it couldn’t keep my 22’ Hewescraft pointed in the right direction if winds were 10+ mph or 2’ waves. Have to turn off and use tiller handle. It also will rapidly turn your kicker right to left to keep a heading. That gets pretty annoying watching and listening to it while fishing.

I highly recommend not buying one for the salt. Folks love them in the rivers I’ve heard.

If you do buy one, be sure to stay on good terms with your installer and keep him on speed dial — you’ll be hanging out together a lot.

I’m still bitter about that POS and how it constantly ruined my fishing trips. Can you tell? :)

Barry

I have an 06 TR-1 on my 06 Kingfisher 28.
I fish about 50 days a year mostly off the West coast of the Island and have had one pump blowout in the 12 years I have owned it.
Garmin replaced it for around $200.
I fish with a group of 4 other boats all of which run TR-1's and all love them.
I have never personally met anyone that has a TR-1 that would ever consider going back to manual steering while trolling.
Holds a heading in almost any condition and if it is too windy for it to keep up then you would be fighting the wheel full time anyway.
Great when fishing solo as you can play the fish and not worry about steering your boat.
Works great in reverse lock to backtroll or hold you on the spot when bottom fishing.
My wife would not fish with me if I didn't have one.
PM me if you need more info.

I had one that I bought used and put on my 26 foot boat which I no longer own.
I installed it myself and had no problems at all doing this.
Compass goes to the front, everything else to the rear.
It worked just fine for me but when on auto it used a lot of battery.
It was hooked to my kicker and was constantly adjusting to stay on course.
If I put it on manual then it was just a matter of controlling with the remote.
Fingers did get tired after awhile.
It worked well for me.

I've had one on my boat for 10 years and have had zero problems with it. I really like it. It's like having a First Mate on the boat. Point the boat where I want it to go and then my buddy and I can focus on putting lines out, checking gear, fighting fish, etc.

I installed mine myself and found the installation to be straightforward with good step-by-step instructions.

Spend the time to do the calibration and setup properly. Also don't get too wrapped up on what's happening off the back of the boat since the TR-1 will take the boat where it is directed regardless of what might be in the way.

Thanks for the reply's. Seems like most have had no problems and Barry may have got a lemon. Expensive lemon... I gather the company changed hands at some point so hopefully the current product is OK. Any suggestions on purchasing in Canada, seems like price is better stateside but don't know how that might affect the warranty? Anybody local that handles them? Guess I need to do a bit more research before pulling the pin. All thoughts appreciated.

My last boat had one when I bought it and I learned to love it especially when fishing on my own,made handling the rods so much easier without the boat wandering off course. My new boat doesn't have room for a kicker to mount beside the main, so it's on a fixed bracket.A rod connecting the main to kicker won't work so I bought the TR1 to control the kicker steering and the unit also controls the throttle so there won't be any jumping back and forth.I haven't installed the new kicker or TR1 yet because I don't fish in the winter,I'll look forward to using it next spring.I was lucky enough to find one still in the box unused for 1/2 retail pricing,otherwise I might have considered adding another hydraulic unit and Y valve to the kicker,much cheaper but not as good as an autopilot.

Back