Gardening pics, hacks, successes, and or failures

For you that know your garlic, what is with the explosion of red Russian garlic that’s available during season in the Fraser valley and in the Okanagan? Is this something new, or have I just started noticing it?
Red Russian is a hardneck variety that does well in our climate and stores well. It's been popular for some time. I believe I have been growing mine for at least 20 years.

I have a galvanized raised bed in my yard that needs to be relocated as part of a backyard reno. In the bed lives garlic and strawberries. The strawberries seem simple enough to dig up and transplant but how do you go about moving the garlic at this time of the year?
Garlic is pretty hardy. over the years I have missed the odd scape and wound up with volunteer garlic in places I didn't want it, I have dug them up and re planted them with no issues. Just use a fork and loosen at least 6" of soil so you get all the roots and transplant the same day.

More great news. This thing started flowering again. I bought it at three feet tall six years ago and now it's bigger than the eight foot sliding door it's sitting beside. It flowered once on year three, and now it's done it two years in a row. Apparently that's quite rare. The smell is incredible. You can see the flower just starting to form at the very top.
20240411_135833.jpg

More great news. This thing started flowering again. I bought it at three feet tall six years ago and now it's bigger than the eight foot sliding door it's sitting beside. It flowered once on year three, and now it's done it two years in a row. Apparently that's quite rare. The smell is incredible. You can see the flower just starting to form at the very top.
View attachment 105121
Nice, what is it?

Seedlings all doing well. Have way too many peppers and tomatoes as usual. LED work lights make great grow lights. Full spectrum lights seem to be a marketing ploy based on some experiment videos I watched on youtube. Next year I’m going to get/build a rack and install permanent lighting because the shuffling around is getting old.

Attachments

• IMG_8629.jpeg
    IMG_8629.jpeg
    521.4 KB · Views: 25
Seedlings all doing well. Have way too many peppers and tomatoes as usual. LED work lights make great grow lights. Full spectrum lights seem to be a marketing ploy based on some experiment videos I watched on youtube. Next year I’m going to get/build a rack and install permanent lighting because the shuffling around is getting old.
Ok after years using flod lights and cords everywhere, I figured it out. Buy 2 shelf metal shelving 34" tall,48" wide and18" deep. Adjust the top rack as plants grow and lay led flood lights glass lens down on upper rack. Cords out of the way and can be moved with added wheels. You can have uniform intense light on all plantsScreenshot_20240411-154706_Chrome.jpg

Ok after years using flod lights and cords everywhere, I figured it out. Buy 2 shelf metal shelving 34" tall,48" wide and18" deep. Adjust the top rack as plants grow and lay led flood lights glass lens down on upper rack. Cords out of the way and can be moved with added wheels. You can have uniform intense light on all plantsView attachment 105124
Nice, yeah that’s very close to what I had in mind. I’ll probably buy/build something I can dismantle and easily store when it’s not in use

Nice, yeah that’s very close to what I had in mind. I’ll probably buy/build something I can dismantle and easily store when it’s not in use
You can buy the racks at Canadian tire, go to your nearest hydroponic store and buy some 4ft t-5 floresent lights with built in shades and attach them under the shelves. Hydro store will have domes, trays and peat pucks for better price than big box stores. Jon’s plant factory is a good store.

So annoying to grow your own **** sometimes all my pepper seedlings are in the process of dying
If I could find the varieties I wanted to grow from the nursery I probably wouldn’t bother. It’s a pain, especially when you’re short on space because you haven’t bought a rack for all your trays yet 🤣

Back