Gardening pics, hacks, successes, and or failures

I was using the biodegradable pots. Maybe they were too big because as I tried to bottom water it always seemed like the soil at the top dried out. So I'd end up topping up from above here and there. The lights were about there.
That sounds like damping off…watering is crucial in the first stages

216 seedlings planted (3 per cell) Mostly tomatoes and peppers, but a bunch of onions, basil, kale and some companion flowers. Posted some saved pepper seeds from my super hots from last year with the hope that I get some cool cross breeds.

Have an abundance of seeds so I planted 3 per hole with the goal of a 100% germination rate. Some of the pepper seeds are a few years old, so we’ll see how that goes.

Decided to just wrap my human-grade heating pad in a towel instead of buying a dedicated one and spending another $40.

Fingers crossed. 🤞

Attachments

• IMG_8130.jpeg
    IMG_8130.jpeg
    437.4 KB · Views: 23
  • IMG_8129.jpeg
    IMG_8129.jpeg
    494.1 KB · Views: 23
Last edited:
216 seedlings planted (3 per cell) Mostly tomatoes and peppers, but a bunch of onions, basil, kale and some companion flowers. Posted some saved pepper seeds from my super hots from last year with the hope that I get some cool cross breeds.

Have an abundance of seeds so I planted 3 per hole with the goal of a 100% germination rate. Some of the pepper seeds are a few years old, so we’ll see how that goes.

Decided to just wrap my human-grade heating pad in a towel instead of buying a dedicated one and spending another $40.

Fingers crossed. 🤞
Are the McKenzie pucks the same as the Jiffy 7’s do you know?

Are the McKenzie pucks the same as the Jiffy 7’s do you know?
We actually decided to try seedling mix and cells, as I have a suspicion the cells will have more room for root growth and won’t require re-potting as soon. Have always used the pucks so we’ll see how it goes. It was slightly cheaper than the jiffy 72 pack

I started ours tomatoes today, too. 4 each of…
Black cherry
Super sweet cherry
Snow White cherry
San marzano
Super steak
Amana orange

No pics cause everyone knows what a peat pellet looks like.

Okra is next…

How many san marz’ do you actually plant in the garden? That’s gonna be a lot seedlings
I will run probably 4-5 san Marzanos. One Black Krim, one Oaxacan Jewel, one Zapotec Pleated. I sell seedlings. Plant about 120 tomatoes for sale. Pays for my soil and fertilizer. Depending on how the crop goes I will also sell ripe san Marzanos IMG_1195.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_1194.jpeg
    IMG_1194.jpeg
    200.6 KB · Views: 4

Fingers crossed. 🤞
I havnt been able to find any jalepeno seeds anywhere .

I have lots saved, you want some?
I’d definitely be interested . I did buy some jalapeños from the store yesterday and was gonna go that route but you seem to do well with your peppers so might have better luck with your seeds!
Where you located ?

I’d definitely be interested . I did buy some jalapeños from the store yesterday and was gonna go that route but you seem to do well with your peppers so might have better luck with your seeds!
Where you located ?
East Van. These seeds might be cross breeds though since they were grown near other varieties. I can mail some to you if you’re far away

For you that know your garlic, what is with the explosion of red Russian garlic that’s available during season in the Fraser valley and in the Okanagan? Is this something new, or have I just started noticing it?

I have a galvanized raised bed in my yard that needs to be relocated as part of a backyard reno. In the bed lives garlic and strawberries. The strawberries seem simple enough to dig up and transplant but how do you go about moving the garlic at this time of the year?

Back