Gardening pics, hacks, successes, and or failures

Late start ? Seems early to me . ? Or maybe I start mine late ?
I guess it depends where you, but I’d like to be transplanting onions and leeks(which only were seeded tonight cause I forgot about them) in a month or so. And sweet potatoes and peppers take so damn long I don’t think you can start too early with them

I guess it depends where you, but I’d like to be transplanting onions and leeks(which only were seeded tonight cause I forgot about them) in a month or so. And sweet potatoes and peppers take so damn long I don’t think you can start too early with them
Never had a lot of luck with peppers maybe I need to get them going sooner then later then.

We have eggplants, spinach, peas, fava beans, radishes, cabbages, broccoli, fennel, leeks, lettuces, and some flowers on mats, under lights, in cold frames, on a window sill, or in the soil.
Going back to -7 again though.
We also have a blue oyster tribute to The Last of Us on the dining room table.IMG_20240220_214712096.jpg

Last edited:
Never had a lot of luck with peppers maybe I need to get them going sooner then later then.
I’d start now. I would have 2 weeks ago, but I was out of town. Get a heat source near/under your seedling tray for best germination results, and don’t let them get cold.

Going to be getting peppers, tomatoes, spring veg like radishes, kale, peas, and lettuce started in the next week or so

I’d start now. I would have 2 weeks ago, but I was out of town. Get a heat source near/under your seedling tray for best germination results, and don’t let them get cold.

Going to be getting peppers, tomatoes, spring veg like radishes, kale, peas, and lettuce started in the next week or so
All of mine withered and died three times! I don't think there was enough airflow in the mech room. Plus perhaps too many hot and cold swings being next to the boiler. I'm going to start over when I'm back from holiday next week.

All of mine withered and died three times! I don't think there was enough airflow in the mech room. Plus perhaps too many hot and cold swings being next to the boiler. I'm going to start over when I'm back from holiday next week.
Dang, that sucks. Do you keep them covered in the tray? How much natural light do they get? Temp swings will def stress them out,

Dang, that sucks. Do you keep them covered in the tray? How much natural light do they get? Temp swings will def stress them out,
No I uncovered them once they sprouted. They would get about 2.5" tall and have 4-6 real leaves on them and then just fall over. No natural light, just the grow lights.

your seed starting soil may be contaminated, might need to wash they trays with soap and water and use new soil,

Happened to me last year ended up buying all my tomato starts from the nursery.

Bottom water only, and not too much, keep lights within a few inches of upper leaves and adjust as they grow.
I was using the biodegradable pots. Maybe they were too big because as I tried to bottom water it always seemed like the soil at the top dried out. So I'd end up topping up from above here and there. The lights were about there.

No I uncovered them once they sprouted. They would get about 2.5" tall and have 4-6 real leaves on them and then just fall over. No natural light, just the grow lights.
Hmm, weird that they were getting that big and dying. Could be too much or not enough water, temp swings or not enough light. Hard to say, I’m no expert

20240219_101659.jpg
Composting hotbed 3'x4'x4' already 30C. Free heat for the Poly-tunnel.
20240217_135821.jpg

Back