Galleon Marine Richmond

Has anyone dealt with Ian at Galleon Marine Richmond. I am looking at new to me 1995 campion explorer they are selling. Any suggestion for inspection of transom etc. ? There is no marine survey, should I pay for one , being a twenty year old boat? Motor is pretty new ,not so worried about that. Might be an unloved boat ,rode hard and put away wet . Sea trial Saturday.

survey should always be done, cheap piece of mind.
what modle explorer? and yes they did have issues with transoms, and stringers.
if it has a kicker grab the leg and go side to side with it see if the transom flexes at all, it should be rock solid.
another thing to look at is when it is in the water on saturday have a look at the rear scuppers while you and your buddy(read: 2 people) are standing in the stern of the boat, they should be above the water line otherwise water will come back up the scuppers and thru the rear deck drains and you will get wet feet

Last edited by a moderator:
I bought an '03 542 from Ian at Galleon. Great guy to deal with. The boat was only a couple of years old when I bought it and had composite stringers and transom so I wasn't too worried about that aspect. On a '95, though, I'd want to do some investigation.
The 542 is a great boat, though. Really enjoyed mine, although I found it a bit small for outside waters (WCVI) fishing. I now have a 2101 Striper.

He is a straight shooter and know a lot about boats, also the have a good and knowledgable parts department

Thanks guys for your input , any suggestIons for a marine survey person or Co. as I'm from the rock and don't get to the big city very often.

Chris Small is a local marine surveyor, a very good guy, been in the business a long time.
He was a tremendous help to me with an insurance issue.
I would definitely recommmend him.
He knows Galleon very well too.

Chris Small
Chris Small Marine Surveyors Ltd.
Box 183 - #800 - 15355 - 24th Avenue
Surrey, B.C. V4A 2H9

Tel: 604-538-5509
Cell: 604-671-3444
Fax: 604-541-1982
E-mail: marinesurveyors@telus.net

Last edited by a moderator:
Transoms are easy to check for rot...take a small ball pein hammer and lightly tap all areas of the transom. You should get a uniform crisp sounding tap throughout. If you hit a soft spot it will be an obvious change in the sound it will produce.

Back