Fused Rod

terrin

trying to get my two piece rod apart. Its really stuck good and I don't want to break anything. Any ideas?

tie the tip top guide to a fixed place and pull gently from the grip while someone puts LOW heat on the joint or if you have room put the rod in a freezer and then try loosening it.

I deal with this all the time with fly rods. If I'm alone, I stretch a sheet of latex rubber then wrap it around each section for better grip then twist in opposite directions

What's best:

Two people with their stances apart, facing each other....his or hers hand ready to grip and twist (next to yours) on one section, his or hers hand ready to grip and twist (next to your other hand) on the other section.

So you're gripping and twisting apart the two sections in unison----I've never had that fail

Yes, you're gripping and twisting in opposite directions for each section---make sure you both know what direction you're twisting with all those hands

Last edited:
Google "stuck rod two person method" and there will be a video to show you how! 👍

Attachments

• images.jpg
    images.jpg
    10.2 KB · Views: 29
I've used the behind the knee pull. It uses your legs and everything stays straight. There will be a video some where. Wear good rubber grip gloves. You can also try hot water and then ice to help break free

I've used the behind the knee pull. It uses your legs and everything stays straight. There will be a video some where. Wear good rubber grip gloves. You can also try hot water and then ice to help break free
That is what my dad taught me years ago when I was a kid. Always worked

Use, wax or petro jelly but the best thing is too take apart peiodically and not let it get fused
Just rubbing behind your ear and rubbing it on the inside ferrule has always worked for me. Rick from Compleat Angler showed me that in the 70’s

My grampa taught me to use nose grease about 50 years ago …just pinching the side of one’s nose and applying to male end of rod . Never had a stuck rod ever! lol !!
That works very well on metal ferrules, as on fibreglass rods. I understand a very light touch of candle wax works much better on graphite ferrules, which has worked perfectly for me.

I'm replacing all my downrigger rods this winter. They were the abu Garcia workhorse rods. Great rods and at 18 years old several are fused together. What should I use on the new ones to keep them from sticking together?

I'm replacing all my downrigger rods this winter. They were the abu Garcia workhorse rods. Great rods and at 18 years old several are fused together. What should I use on the new ones to keep them from sticking together?
Take them apart every so often and use nose, ear or some wax

Back