Fuse at Battery Terminals

My boat surveyor required a fuse at the battery to protect the wire as the run to the switch was about 6 feet away. I used the one you showed and it was a quick and easy install.

My boat surveyor required a fuse at the battery to protect the wire as the run to the switch was about 6 feet away. I used the one you showed and it was a quick and easy install.
Cool. How many amps is your fuse? What size boat?

23 Hourston and have batteries installed at transom corners (hence the run battery cable run from one side to the other). Even though the 2AWG battery cable ran straight into a 80amp breaker, the surveyor wanted the cable protected from the battery side. Rather than move the breaker, I added a 100amp fuse onto the battery.

With an ACR Blue Seas system a fuse link of 60/ 120 amp surface fuse as per your link is required per battery. Pricey that's for sure. Neat and easy install. I understand a fuse link should be required as mentioned by the surveyor. I personally moved to the ACR system but I would do it.

With an ACR Blue Seas system a fuse link of 60/ 120 amp surface fuse as per your link is required per battery. Pricey that's for sure. Neat and easy install. I understand a fuse link should be required as mentioned by the surveyor. I personally moved to the ACR system but I would do it.
Hmmm... I'm wanting to install the Blue Sea SI-ACR with fuses as required (to link the charge to go to both the house and starting batteries) beside the Perko. Then I figure I would also need fuses on the batteries which are on the other side of the boat. Sooo... that's four additional fuses. Do I need fuses at both the ACR and the batteries?

Confused?! Battery cables go directly to Battery Switch then to a Circuit breaker that protects the fuse panel. I would like to see the requirement to have a fuse before the switch from the battery (ies). Please. Thanks.

RPM

Confused?! Battery cables go directly to Battery Switch then to a Circuit breaker that protects the fuse panel. I would like to see the requirement to have a fuse before the switch from the battery (ies). Please. Thanks.

RPM
Two Batteries (starter and house) on one side of the boat/motor with two positive battery cables that go to the Perko switch on the other side of the boat/motor. Right now there are no fuses for the cables running from the batteries to the Perko switch. Should there be fuses?

I do have a small fuse panel after the Perko switch.

Last edited:
I recently added a Blue Seas 5026 fuse panel and was told I do need to add a fuse to My starter battery. The wiring schematic says I should have one in line and it makes sense to have it right at the battery. I do have the same Blue seas fuse but I haven't mounted it yet as it doesn't seem to fit as well with my attwood battery box. I'll need to do some modifications. Currently running 1 battery, need to add another and ACR mini.
Two Batteries (starter and house) on one side of the boat/motor with two positive battery cables that go to the Perko switch on the other side of the boat/motor. Right now there are no fuses for the cables running from the batteries to the Perko switch. Should there be fuses?

I do have a small fuse panel after the Perko switch.

No, look at the Blue Seas fuse top 5/16 ring terminal as both the + lead from the switch and the ACR terminate together on the fuse. Fuse 3/8 hole mounts to battery terminal.
Be prepared to spend $$$ if you don't have the proper gauge wire as instructed. System overall is pricy but worth every cent spent. I installed the optional green diode on the dash as it gave me a visual few of the ACR at all times.
Something to consider if rewiring go to Princess Auto/ Amazon and purchase battery jumper cables with the proper gauge and cut off the connectors. Way less expensive than gauge wire by the foot. Just a thought.

Last edited:
No, look at the Blue Seas fuse top 5/16 ring terminal as both the + lead from the switch and the ACR terminate together on the fuse. Fuse 3/8 hole mounts to battery terminal.
Be prepared to spend $$$ if you don't have the proper gauge wire as instructed. System overall is pricy but worth every cent spent. I installed the optional green diode on the dash as it gave me a visual few of the ACR at all times.
Something to consider if rewiring go to Princess Auto/ Amazon and purchase battery jumper cables with the proper gauge and cut off the connectors. Way less expensive than gauge wire by the foot. Just a thought.

However, if the battery power and the ACR share a fuse, an issue with the ACR blows the fuse for everything?

Only seems to be required when using an ACR which makes sense to protect it. The battery selector switch does not need protection, an extra fuse is not going to hurt but if a Surveyor tells me that is a requirement, show me documentation to support it.

Ok, I did find a spot right next to the batteries where I can mount the ACR and connect it to both batteries.

As Drink pointed out (thanks!), the fuses at the positive battery posts on the batteries should serve to protect both the ACR and the main power cables running to the Perko switch. I didn't really think of that but it makes sense.

As WC315 pointed out (thanks!), he added the MRBF (the fuse I was wondering about using from the start) at the battery because "the surveyor wanted the cable protected from the battery side" of the cable running to his switch: exactly what I will do. And WC315 said he used 100 amp fuse so I'll give that a try too!

Thanks, you guys helped a lot. :cool:

I recently installed an ACR and the Perko battery switch as well. I used an Marine Rated Battery Fuse between the ACR and the Battery bank as well as fused the run from the positive terminals to the Perko battery selector. Heres a picture that might assist anyone that needs to visualize what that would look like.
Boat Wiring.jpg

I recently installed an ACR and the Perko battery switch as well. I used an Marine Rated Battery Fuse between the ACR and the Battery bank as well as fused the run from the positive terminals to the Perko battery selector. Heres a picture that might assist anyone that needs to visualize what that would look like.
View attachment 65565

Awesome picture of wiring, thanks. If only I had that much room. How many amps are the fuses on the batteries?

View attachment 65565
Nice job. If you follow the Blue Seas wiring diagram , the fuses should be before the ACR. You are not protecting the ACR. Looks like you just need to move the wire from the batteries posts to the fuse posts and your golden. (From what I can see IMO)

Nice job. If you follow the Blue Seas wiring diagram , the fuses should be before the ACR. You are not protecting the ACR. Looks like you just need to move the wire from the batteries posts to the fuse posts and your golden. (From what I can see IMO)
Good eye thanks for that tip!

Here is a chart I used to figure out the amperage for the fuse on the holder I used a 2 Gauge battery cable and the chart specified a 200 amp fuse for each holder.

Screen Shot 2021-05-11 at 9.07.52 AM.png

Back