Fulton foldaway hitch, check yours

RevyG

Crew Member
Just a heads up people that have this type of hitch. Mine was 2 months old and snapped, apparently the "new" ones are welded, not cast aluminum. Lucky I didn't lose my boat over the bank.

Attachments

• IMG_5124.jpg
    IMG_5124.jpg
    120 KB · Views: 334
  • IMG_5127.jpg
    IMG_5127.jpg
    110.8 KB · Views: 322
  • IMG_5135.jpg
    IMG_5135.jpg
    112.5 KB · Views: 323
  • IMG_5136.jpg
    IMG_5136.jpg
    190.4 KB · Views: 312
  • 61845533084__47B79134-41B8-4144-B372-113342FF78FF.JPG
    61845533084__47B79134-41B8-4144-B372-113342FF78FF.JPG
    149.8 KB · Views: 322
  • 61845875419__CCE64D28-90C1-4BD4-B2D4-B366DB30752F.JPG
    61845875419__CCE64D28-90C1-4BD4-B2D4-B366DB30752F.JPG
    155.9 KB · Views: 320
Thanks guys, yeah super sketchy, the four hours on the side of the road while buddy went back to get help with the horse flies was lame. Not to mention the coolers full of fish!!
Thankfully we had the ability to scab it together. Not everyone would so definitely check them out captains.

Maybe I misread your post but that's not cast aluminum, it's cast steel. The sparks coming from the grinder kind of give that away. It's hard to just look at the picture but the stain looks like rust and could indicate an inclusion near the surface that lead to the stress accumulating at that point creating a crack that propagated across the part and to a complete failure. Have a close look at the fracture surface and see if you can find something that is darker than the grains that surround it. That will be the point that failed on this part. To me that's a manufacturing defect that could have had some serious consequences but in this case things turned out as best as one could hope for. Sure glad everyone walked away without injury. Very good advice to check your Fold-Away Couplers and if I'm right about the rust I would be looking to replace it if I found any. Another member here had to change out the bolt that is used on that hinge because of wear, so if you can feel some play at that hinge it's time to disassemble and check that bolt. Replace the fastener with what the manufacture used in material and strength. Markings will be on the bolt head.

If memory serves, one of our members @NDT has way more knowledge then me so it would be interesting to hear from him.

Last edited:
ouch. i have the same trailer. seems good for the last 2 years though. dunno if thats common or a one off.

I’d write the manufacturer directly. Send pictures and all the info you have. Most reputable manufacturers will respond positively.
Stosh

I’d write the manufacturer directly. Send pictures and all the info you have. Most reputable manufacturers will respond positively.
Stosh
My dealer, Jones Boys, is standing up for it and dealing with Ez loader for me, taking care of tow and incidentals as well....they are actually sending a guy to pick it up today and replace the tongue section, brake lines, wiring and things as it got hot inside during the repair, and I am 1 1/2 hrs away, happy about that, and will be ready for weekend.

Good for your Dealer, nice to hear that a few companies still care about their customers. I hope Ez loader does the same. Glad you were OK.

boat.jpg 62034787736__3E9BF6C6-BBAA-4C02-B89D-37B09DD8EA11.JPG 62034788704__DDD30EEB-19AB-49EF-827C-9E16B5F39EB3.JPG
Well my dealer returned my boat Friday and I am impressed with the repair and their handling of the unfortunate events, and the new one is way better, night and day, fully welded. solid steel. They looked after everything, and I had it back for weekend adventures. Definitely recommend Jones Boys in Ainsworth

I would never trust one of those fold away hitches, but that repair looks like something I would trust. That is some fine looking work there.

It looks like the new hitch has a cable on each side in case of failure. Do they both attach to the hitch on the vehicle?

I’m reading that there is supposed to be a bit of play in these Fulton fold aways...mine certainly has that. Not really any side to side but up and down maybe 1/2 inch?

Also have these strange weld looking marks where I wouldn’t think they should be on the outside of the hinges of the fixed pin side. A little concerned after seeing these pictures and reading more about them online

I’m reading that there is supposed to be a bit of play in these Fulton fold aways...mine certainly has that. Not really any side to side but up and down maybe 1/2 inch?

Also have these strange weld looking marks where I wouldn’t think they should be on the outside of the hinges of the fixed pin side. A little concerned after seeing these pictures and reading more about them online
I was driving next to a guy with one and it looked like his trailer was bending with every little bump. Such a weak link of the trailer. I worry enough going over highway bumps and I don’t have a fold away lol. It doesn’t take long to get metal fatigue with that much stress

Just a heads up people that have this type of hitch. Mine was 2 months old and snapped, apparently the "new" ones are welded, not cast aluminum. Lucky I didn't lose my boat over the bank.

Investigated mine - seems fine. Had some strange rubbing marks on the outside of the fixed bolt that I tried cleaning off with brake clean....sent them to my dealer and they had a good look at the photo said I've got nothing to worry about. They also mentioned that they knew of your specific trailer failure. Nice to know that these dealers are talking with one another about product issues.

I've just moved to a new house and no longer need the swing away. More peace of mind with a solid tongue may be required...

Fulton Markings - after cleaning IMG_4318.jpg

Interesting failure. I wonder if at some point before you took delivery or if you took it in for service if the trailer had been operated without the pin and just the bolt. If that happens the tongue can jack knife and then there is a huge force on that little tab that broke. Damaged first then with actual failure later..

At least the trailer is properly set up with safety chains that go past the swing.

Heres a video of a terrible swing tongue setup that I was sold. Winch should never be on swinging side of tongue and safety chains need to be attached to the non swing section. I've since learned how it should be done properly. :) The huge force on the swing joint caused it to wear rapidly. Several inches of travel when I replaced the whole trailer after 18months.

Never thought of that......I doubt it as it was brand new but as we are all aware anything is possible! Either way, good thing for guys to add to pre trip/ Preventative Maintenance. I am very happy with the new full steel/welded version, not cast ZINC.
The new one is not made by Fulton.....

Back