Fuel dripping from bottom of carb on Yamaha kicker

I have a '98 Yahama 9.9 and for some reason there is fuel dripping out the bottom of the carb when it rests at ideal and then for a bit after the motor is off. When it's in gear and higher throttle, it doesn't leak. It seems to be coming from under the bowl, where there is a pan that has a diaphragm in it. Diaphragm does have a bit of gunk on it but seems ok. Not sure if this is causing the leak. I did rebuild the carb, cleaning the jets and adding new gaskets but didn't stop the leak.

Any suggestions?

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    273.9 KB · Views: 39
are the hoses in good shape. I had a leak that was tricky because the fuel would run down the power head and leak into the water

Could be gasket between bowl and carb. Start simple and go from there. Let us know how you make out.

I am thinking it is the accelerator diaphragm. I replaced all the gaskets when I rebuilt the carb and can pinpoint the leak to the pan that holds the diaphragm. I am going to pick up a new diaphragm tomorrow ($54!) and see if that fixes the problem. Finger crossed.

Sometimes it's easier and cheaper just to buy a new carb then rebuilding those things. I spent a couple hundred rebuilding mine, didn't work and had to go buy a new one. Another $300 later, bolt in on and way to go.

Back