1996 Evinrude 115 Carburetor and VRO rebuild

Pontoonfisher

Hello,
I recently purchased a 1996 Crestliner 2485 LSI with an Evinrude Intruder 115 v4 of the same year. It seems to run well accept at idle and then seems to run a little rich if left to idle to long. I have also noticed that it is leaking fuel from the left upper carb and right lower carb consistently. As well as the gasket on the electronic choke system and the fuel distribution mixture tank on the VRO system.(at least that is what I think it is) At full tilt the the motor will run all day long and just guzzle the gas and two stroke oil.

It has been leaking for quite awhile as their are stains from the gas and oil on the lower body of the motor. If I leave it sit with the fuel supply turned on it will eventually all leak out until the level of fuel is the same as the carburetors(I assume from stuck floats). On a pontoon boat the fuel tank sits higher then the motor.

I grew up working on two stroke motorcycle engines and am fairly well versed there, but this is my first outboard. Wondering if any one has advice on how to tell which rebuild kits to buy, and how to know if I need to increase the jet size to accommodate for elevation.

Any advice will be helpful and all advice will be taken in to account. Thank you in advance.

Hello,
I recently purchased a 1996 Crestliner 2485 LSI with an Evinrude Intruder 115 v4 of the same year. It seems to run well accept at idle and then seems to run a little rich if left to idle to long. I have also noticed that it is leaking fuel from the left upper carb and right lower carb consistently. As well as the gasket on the electronic choke system and the fuel distribution mixture tank on the VRO system.(at least that is what I think it is) At full tilt the the motor will run all day long and just guzzle the gas and two stroke oil.

It has been leaking for quite awhile as their are stains from the gas and oil on the lower body of the motor. If I leave it sit with the fuel supply turned on it will eventually all leak out until the level of fuel is the same as the carburetors(I assume from stuck floats). On a pontoon boat the fuel tank sits higher then the motor.

I grew up working on two stroke motorcycle engines and am fairly well versed there, but this is my first outboard. Wondering if any one has advice on how to tell which rebuild kits to buy, and how to know if I need to increase the jet size to accommodate for elevation.

Any advice will be helpful and all advice will be taken in to account. Thank you in advance.
Start by getting the model number and go to the site below and find the OE carb kit number then you can work back from that if you want to use an aftermarket kit. You will need 4 kits

The carbs are all plastic on those motors so they can warp and cause leakage. I have only seen it happen from a improperly torqued install, but apparently down south in the heat it happens frequently. Check all the parts for straightness when disassembled. Another challenge is the first generation only had 3 screws on the side plate and they were leakers, they fixed it with 4 screws later on.

Fairly straight forward rebuild if you have done any carbs before. Everything is easy to get at and clean out. Don’t forget to set the float hight and torque them to spec when installing.

The difference between doing it right and wrong is the Sync and Link of the carbs. Find a manual someplace and follow all the steps to a T and you will have the best outcome.

The primmer is an easy gasket to replace but look closely and make sure the red valve is not cracked, if so replace the top if you can still buy them.

If the VRO is leaking just buy a new one, it’s not worth the effort to try and get them back together and working correctly. Its not that common a VRO leaks externally so check all the hose connections first. Also if it is an original 1996 VRO the new one will be updated internally.

But before you do any of that run a compression test to make sure you have a healthy heart to work with.

Gook Luck!

Back