Fresh water cooling for aq260

I have an 85 volvo penta aq260. Just dropped in a new rebuilt 350 and manifolds. This engine has the raw water pump down on the crank. I'm wondering how a freshwater cooling system would work on this engine. Do I need to get another water pump for the freshwater to make it work? Thinking about installing a system but can't afford the $1500 for a good kit. I found some good used exchangers that I can make work but not sure on what I will need for pumps or if there would be any additional housings.

interested in a brand new prop? stainless? 150.00 sorry for the high jack.. 14 3/4 x 17p?

No extra pumps needed. Your crank mounted pump will pump raw water to you heat exchanger. Your other belt driven pump on the front will circulate the coolant through the block.

I agree was wondering if he had a water pump?? was kinda confused as to what he has....?

There is no belt driven pump. Just the raw water pump. I'll check but I think I have the same pitch prop as the one mentioned above. We added some hp with the new engine so I'm hoping I need to prop up.

If you've just put in a new rebuilt 350 then by all means DEFINITELY put on a fresh water cooling system. Yeah it's going to cost you but that engine will last way longer and probably run more efficiently with a closed cooling system. Manifold Wharehouse in Burnaby is a good place to get information from, just Google them.

I have an 85 volvo penta aq260. Just dropped in a new rebuilt 350 and manifolds. This engine has the raw water pump down on the crank. I'm wondering how a freshwater cooling system would work on this engine. Do I need to get another water pump for the freshwater to make it work? Thinking about installing a system but can't afford the $1500 for a good kit. I found some good used exchangers that I can make work but not sure on what I will need for pumps or if there would be any additional housings.

What you need is a san juan heat exchanger which has the capacity to cool/antifreeze your manifolds in colder winters, you do not need any extra pumps just the larger exchanger and extra fittings.

ok im kinda confused you have to have a belt to drive the pump(raw water) and water pump and alternator? do you have a picture of the front of your engine??

9yvama8y.jpg

This isn't my motor but is the same set up other than the pully on the top right. I think it's for power steering. The pump is on the very bottom with the 2 hoses coming out. It is connected to the back of the crank so no pully. There is a housing behind the top pully but no pump inside. Mine only has 1 belt off the harmonic balencer around the top pully and around the alternator.

OK now im getting it the 2 hoses on the bottom are your RAW water thats off the harmonic balancer the other pump is your water pump which will circulate the "fresh" water once you put a heat ex changer on and lose the water switcher hat goes to your manifolds, i am out tuesday fishing if i remember ill take photos of my engine for you and post so at least you have some sort of idea what to do ...

Thanks wolf. That would be great. I have found a couple exchangers with no kits online for a good price. Just have to figure out how to rig up.

Would this work for you? This is from Manifold Wharehouse's website.

V104 Volvo Penta GM V-6 & V-8, D & E
Freshwater Cooling Kit
With or Without Power Steering, Cools Block Only,
Crankshaft Driven Sea Water Pump.
Through Year 1993.

Here is a pic of my old AQ200 with fresh water cooling.

Attachments

• 20140514_105627.jpg
    20140514_105627.jpg
    59.5 KB · Views: 117
I remembered for you!!!!!!!!! take into consideration that each manifold set up is different as the new manifolds I have the HGE dry fit and the best ive ever seen as the water intakes are now with a teflon seal and on it, the old style the water would pass thru channels 1/4 of an inch around the exhaust this new system the water will never reach as its totally inclosed and about a inch thick of material (cast) love it so far... been told you get up to 10 years on a set now...hope the pictures help you dont need a kit if you can find a good heat ex changer hoses can be cut and made EASILY

Attachments

• DSCN3708.jpg
    DSCN3708.jpg
    87.8 KB · Views: 66
  • DSCN3709.jpg
    DSCN3709.jpg
    92.8 KB · Views: 77
  • DSCN3710.jpg
    DSCN3710.jpg
    84.3 KB · Views: 74
  • DSCN3711.jpg
    DSCN3711.jpg
    88.1 KB · Views: 75
  • DSCN3712.jpg
    DSCN3712.jpg
    93.2 KB · Views: 77
Thanks wolf. I have the hge manifolds that are capable of closed loop cooling as well. On your system do you put a blind gasket between the exhaust manifold and riser? Manifold is closed loop but riser is raw water cooled?

Back